Forum for kitesurfers
RonB
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wakestyle or regular kiteboard?

Postby RonB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

by a chance tried aboards W-series board with large rocker and boots recently. overall i really enjoyed it, board goes smoother than usual kiteboard and controls well. only didn't like so well boots and upwind ability which seemed to be lower as for standard twintip or perhaps it was because of boots. so the question is if i prefer to ride with pads is it worth to choose wakestyle board? can wakestyle board with pads give me maximum or it's necessary to use wakestyle board with boots to feel all pros of it?

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Re: wakestyle or regular kiteboard?

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Typically wakestyle boards are a little wide through the length of the board so there is more surface area at the tips. They also have less flex so it takes the boots to give you enough control to keep it all comfortable. You might find it hard to enjoy the board when well powered with straps.

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 pm

It's not the boots that make it more difficult to go upwind, it is the increased rocker. Since the board sits a little deeper in the water you get a better feeling of control and it smooths out the ride a little, but that also creates more drag which makes it harder to go upwind.

you can use a wakestyle board with straps just fine.

pch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rugen

Postby pch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

I would say that you can stay with pads if choose the right stance. With wider stance you will be able to control wakestyle board easy, perhaps not so well as with boots but in this way you will feel all the prettiness of board with increased rocker also without them. I would recommend to use boots only when when you are going for really aggressive riding including slides, constructions etc. Otherwise boots are unnecessary inconveniences with extra weight and uncomfortable putting on and off.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Riding a wakestyle board with straps is kind of pointless, unless you have blown out knees and need the rocker or something...

The w-series is an awesome board but it is a little slower, if you don't like to ride powered or need something that has a little better low end I'd suggest the liquid force influence. it has a little bit less rocker, and is a fantastic wakestyle board. I ride one size bigger than my straps board and can ride it in about the same wind

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 pm

RonB wrote:by a chance tried aboards W-series board with large rocker and boots recently. overall i really enjoyed it, board goes smoother than usual kiteboard and controls well. only didn't like so well boots and upwind ability which seemed to be lower as for standard twintip or perhaps it was because of boots. so the question is if i prefer to ride with pads is it worth to choose wakestyle board? can wakestyle board with pads give me maximum or it's necessary to use wakestyle board with boots to feel all pros of it?
You just need practice with a rocker board. You were probably edging too hard and killing your board speed. With boots id don't take much to edge too hard. It's a tech thing not a board thing (if powered). Boots are so much better than straps if you are powered. Don't believe all the crap you hear about them. It is dogma that is left from the days when you could barely go upwind in the best conditions with c-kites that were actually death machines. Kites and boards have evolved so much the return of boots are on the rise.

kungfupete
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Favorite Beaches: Flat water
Style: Wake Style
Gear: Stonker Boards

Postby kungfupete » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:50 pm

I agree with everyone's feedback. The only thing I recommend is if you are getting a wakestyle board, go longer than normal. The rocker can affect upwind, but if you get a bigger board it will go up wind fine. Pads will work, once you get use to the board, maybe try boots again.

zik46
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: PRASONISI RHODES GREECE
Style: snowkite

Postby zik46 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 am

Aboard X series 141x42 for bindings or 137x41 with straps
rocker is just enough for smooth landings and good pop
Upwind ability is great
no spray
low end is great
A+ quality
what else you can ask

(w series is a awesome board too if u want a board for the cable and kite too or riding only in flat water's)

George B.

Eric23
Rare Poster

Postby Eric23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

I prefer boards without increased rocker - pleasant to ride and perfect planning even in light wind. I have seen quite often that many riders with big rocker boards sitting on the shore or torturing themselves on water in a low or gusty wind while I and my friends enjoying our time on water easily riding upwind. If in your beach wind is not strong better choose kiteboard with normal rocker. With them also most of tricks can be done including unhook. On net there is plenty of videos guys riding on normal rocker kiteboards. Don't understand why so many recommending big rocker boards yet don't remember to tell that they are not riding on light wind and aprox 30% windy days will be lost or you need kite for size larger than others.

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade

Postby Motion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Eric23 wrote:I prefer boards without increased rocker - pleasant to ride and perfect planning even in light wind. I have seen quite often that many riders with big rocker boards sitting on the shore or torturing themselves on water in a low or gusty wind while I and my friends enjoying our time on water easily riding upwind. If in your beach wind is not strong better choose kiteboard with normal rocker. With them also most of tricks can be done including unhook. On net there is plenty of videos guys riding on normal rocker kiteboards. Don't understand why so many recommending big rocker boards yet don't remember to tell that they are not riding on light wind and aprox 30% windy days will be lost or you need kite for size larger than others.
The same reason the wakeboards are not flat. To soften the landings.

Return to “Kitesurfing”