Forum for kitesurfers
jteabird
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2013 SS Rally question

Postby jteabird » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 am

Just got my new kites. Sling shot is a new brand for me. All these possible combinations of knots etc in the lines and bridals. Any advice of a good starting point of which combination of attachments works the best. I would like the kite to be stable and quick. Thanks much

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Re: 2013 SS Rally question

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 am

Just start to fly it on the first knots

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 am

I have been riding and teaching on the 2013 Rallys for a few months now and loving them.
Use the 2nd set of knots on both front and back lines, or pull in the back ones towards the kite for quicker steering.

I'd say they're a bit on the slow side for turning, but incredibly easy relaunch and super stable in the air.
These kites really shine at the top end of their range- rock solid and great kite for boosting on. :thumb:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 am

are you sure you have 2013 kites?because there all you can do is change the line lengths.no options at the bridle.contrary to last years mndel.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm

ulx wrote:are you sure you have 2013 kites?because there all you can do is change the line lengths.no options at the bridle.contrary to last years mndel.
I have 2013 Rallys and there are 3 three knots on the front and rear attachment points. Like the previous poster, I run mine on the middle knot. There are no option at the bridle like you said. I have a 8,10 and 14m sizes. Very nice kite and super easy to fly.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am

I have 2013's also in 10, 12, 14m - no bridle adjustments (bummer), but they are still damn good performers in all categories. I am very happy with them for teaching, and can still have fun on them myself.

I am also relieved to be back on a single front line safety because ditching the kite/ self rescue is a regular part of my lessons.
I don't believe in the IDS type/ mini 5th (two front lines) safety at all- most aren't even close to depowering the kite. :o
If I had a complaint, it would be that the left side of bar itself is white instead of red. The float and leader is red, but a red grip would make it even better.

Happy Kiting!
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am

hey, just to be on the same page here; do the kites have different attachment points in the kites leading edge for back and front lines (like more than one point for back lines to change the kite's turning speed and bar pressure)? Or do you just mean that you can put use the knots to just effectively change the line lengths a couple of inches one way or the other?

Thanks!

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 am

omg wrote:hey, just to be on the same page here; do the kites have different attachment points in the kites leading edge for back and front lines (like more than one point for back lines to change the kite's turning speed and bar pressure)? Or do you just mean that you can put use the knots to just effectively change the line lengths a couple of inches one way or the other?

Thanks!
the latter. just line length, no different attachment points in the leading edge.

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 am

Easy starter point. Connect identically on all 4 lines, ie ALL 1st or ALL 2nd. or ALL 3rd.
Differeng the length relatively between front and rear merely changes the power a little, but cmpared to the depower throw on the bar and the position of your course depower with your cleat its relatively insignificant. It'll only be marginal at upper and lower ends of your kites performance.

DRC

pjhardie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Slick, Cape Hatteras, NC.
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: REAL Watersports Inc. - Rider and Employee.

Postby pjhardie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm

jteabird wrote:Just got my new kites. Sling shot is a new brand for me. All these possible combinations of knots etc in the lines and bridals. Any advice of a good starting point of which combination of attachments works the best. I would like the kite to be stable and quick. Thanks much
jteabird - have you had much of a chance to fly your new kites yet? How do you like them?

http://www.realwatersports.com/kiteboarding

Return to “Kitesurfing”