Style: Learner
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner Kiter - Kite Advice

Postby kiter8891 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to kitesurfing. Had 9 hours of lessons and can basically get up and go for about 100m. I kite at Mui Ne in Vietnam.

Finding it really difficult to choose the best suited kites for my first purchase.
Im 85kg and 175m.

I know the general feedback is to try the kites and see which one feels better but as I am still fresh they all seem to feel equally difficult hahahaha

I have been given advice by 2 of my instructors (who dont sell kites) and friendly strangers who have all guided me in different directions. I wanted to confuse myself with more opinions before I make my final decision.

I have been told the below kites are good to learn on and also good enough to keep you satisfied as you become more experienced.

SS RPM 2012
SS Rally 2012 or 2013
Ozone Catalyst 2013
Best Kahoona 2012 or 2013
Best TS 2012 or 2013

I am going for 8m or 9m and a 12m

My initial preference was the 2012 RPM seeing as I can get a good price on them but have read mixed reviews about how easy/difficult and forgiving they are to fly.
I have no knowledge about the SS Rally. I havent been able to find anyone that rides them yet.

The 2013 Ozone Catalyst seems to be getting awesome reviews and seems like an easy kite to fly but is pricey.

I have no idea about BEST kites although they look to be the cheapest which is always nice when you are on a budget.

I really want an easy kite to fly to learn that can still get me excited once I know what im doing.

If anyone has any tips or experience with these kites let me know?

Thanks

Lee

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Re: Beginner Kiter - Kite Advice

Postby uncle sammy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 am

What ever you choose, don't go for the SS kites.
They fall apart and are too complicated.

From the list you mentioned go for the Ozone .

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Try to get a good deal on a second hand kite in good condition. Your first kite is going to take alot of punishment, so it isnt a good idea to spend too much. I would not suggest you get an RPM it is too fast for a beginner.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Lee, try as many as you can before taking the plunge.
I only recomend Cabrinha because that is what I ride, but different strokes for different blokes.
The only way to know if the pudding is good is to taste it : )
nico

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

uncle sammy wrote:What ever you choose, don't go for the SS kites.
They fall apart and are too complicated.

From the list you mentioned go for the Ozone .

what a crap statement. SS are great kites just like almost all the kites out these days. Not like back in the early days of the sport. Most people on this forum are going to recommend what they ride (which is fine). Bashing other brands is unnecessary. You may want to buy used until you get it figured out. Whatever you buy right now will take a beating.
Mark

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m

Postby Speedkillz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Give strong consideration to Switch Kites -- specifically the Element. I started last year with a couple of hours of lessons (and a lot of time with the Progression Videos and a trainer kite) and the Element had me up and riding in no time!

I am not a team rider or anything like that.

I was happy to spend less than $2000 for a 2-kite quiver with bar and lines. All-in my 2012 Element 9m and 13m with the bar and lines got here (Oahu) in 3 days for a little over $1700. I have used my 13m at least 2-3 times a week for a year now, and despite all of the rookie mistakes (crashes on land & sea) it has held up perfectly. No leaks, no tears, and it has never let me down. I self launch and land with ease, and the bar works well for me. Re-launch is simple. Low bar pressure. Lots of de-power.

I am 6'3" and about 240lbs riding a Cabrinha Spectrum 144 TT. I need 12 knots to be comfortable on the low end (with the 13m) and I have gotten out with no problem in 25-30 knots with the 9m.

I have ridden several other big brands and the experience, at least for an admitted intermediate rider, is just as good on the Switch Kites as any other. You can get a brand new kite for about the same price as a used kite and not have to worry about undisclosed damages or issues.

Whichever brand you choose, welcome to an awesome sport that will have all of your friends jealous of your stoke!

Aloha

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade

Postby Motion » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

UKSurf wrote:Try to get a good deal on a second hand kite in good condition. Your first kite is going to take alot of punishment, so it isnt a good idea to spend too much. I would not suggest you get an RPM it is too fast for a beginner.

No not really. When i was learning, kite didn't get any more biting than it gets now. He sad he can get up on board and ride for 100m so he probably has enough control to be fine.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Get a 9m and a 12m, do not get an 8m - the spread will be way too big with an 8m.
I really don't think you can make a bad choice these days. Pretty much any kite will work. The only exception is that you should stay away from C kites for now (like the Naish Torch, for instance). As far as some kites being "too fast"... I learned on a slow truck like kite (2008 Cabrinha Convert) and then switched to a Naish Park which flies much faster. I thought the Park would not be a good kite for beginners, but then I met several beginners who were using the Park with no problem. I think you quickly adapt to whatever kite you fly, regardless. I disagree with the guys saying you should test some kites because like you already discovered, it's pretty hard to know what you want until you've been kiting for awhile. Just get a kite that is described as a free ride or all-arounder and you'll be fine.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 pm

kiter8891 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am new to kitesurfing. Had 9 hours of lessons and can basically get up and go for about 100m. I kite at Mui Ne in Vietnam.

Finding it really difficult to choose the best suited kites for my first purchase.
Im 85kg and 175m.

I know the general feedback is to try the kites and see which one feels better but as I am still fresh they all seem to feel equally difficult hahahaha

I have been given advice by 2 of my instructors (who dont sell kites) and friendly strangers who have all guided me in different directions. I wanted to confuse myself with more opinions before I make my final decision.

I have been told the below kites are good to learn on and also good enough to keep you satisfied as you become more experienced.

SS RPM 2012
SS Rally 2012 or 2013
Ozone Catalyst 2013
Best Kahoona 2012 or 2013
Best TS 2012 or 2013

I am going for 8m or 9m and a 12m

My initial preference was the 2012 RPM seeing as I can get a good price on them but have read mixed reviews about how easy/difficult and forgiving they are to fly.
I have no knowledge about the SS Rally. I havent been able to find anyone that rides them yet.

The 2013 Ozone Catalyst seems to be getting awesome reviews and seems like an easy kite to fly but is pricey.

I have no idea about BEST kites although they look to be the cheapest which is always nice when you are on a budget.

I really want an easy kite to fly to learn that can still get me excited once I know what im doing.

If anyone has any tips or experience with these kites let me know?

Thanks

Lee
slingshot rally 2012 is a great kite. They made some changes for 2013 that made it more powerful but a bit slower. The rally is an extremely well respected kite (kite of the year etc). In the US it has good resale value because it is in such demand.

In my first year I flew cabrinha crossbows which were extremely heavy and powerful, but stable. I have switched to rallys to try something different. The slingshot rally is much lighter and faster but less stable in gusts (but really is just fine). I love my rallys.

Im not a big fan of the compstick bar compared to the cabrinha bar, but a lot of people love it and say it is the best part of the kite.

Every brand has its most popular kite, for example for cabrinha it is the switchblade. For slingshot it is probably the RPM but the rally is not far behind.

If the prices are relatively the same I would go with the rally. But if the best or ozone kites are a few hundred cheaper I might go with one of those. Stick to the model that is the most popular from any particular brand.

here is a non scientific poll from 2011 that might give you an idea of the popular models from each brand.
http://www.sbckiteboard.com/2011-kite-r ... ws_id=1786

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Currently I ride Blade kites but from the kites you listed I would get the Kahoonas. They are very user friendly and relaunch very easily, which is what you want for a beginner, this is not to say that the other kites out there won't do this but they are pricier. I use to own a Kahoona but they were too slow for what I wanted to do so that is why I switched to Blades, which again is something you want for beginners.

Return to “Kitesurfing”