Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41
Brand Affiliation: None

unhooking overpowered-underpowered

Postby alex85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

To me is very difficult to have the PERFECT size of my kite when I ride ( for a lot of reason, but especially due to the place where I kite ). So can you give some tips about how to unhook easier if underpowerd or overpowered??? :whisper:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: unhooking overpowered-underpowered

Postby TheJoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 pm

alex85 wrote:To me is very difficult to have the PERFECT size of my kite when I ride ( for a lot of reason, but especially due to the place where I kite ). So can you give some tips about how to unhook easier if underpowerd or overpowered??? :whisper:
Learn to trim a kite, and go down wind to build board speed.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm

its really hard to do unhooked tricks if you are overpowered you get knocked down and underpowered you can't get any pop. Some locations you just have to wait for the right day

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Has thanked: 0

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Overpowered: just stick to raileys maybe S-bends

Underpowered: good time to practice surface passes both ways on both tacks

Best advice is just to wait and do unhooked or strapless stuff until the conditions are right

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ok, the answer is you can't :lol: :lol: :lol:

@the joe: My lines are setting with equal lenght. But I also depower the kite ( or change the knots on the pigtails ) till I can ride with the bar close to the CL, when I unhook my kite never backstall ( also in gusty wind )...I think is the only way I know to trim a kite.......................................................................if yuo know a way better than this I will be really happy to listen you :?:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm

My kites (Torches) have real good range unhooked, underpowered will always be a problem but set the kite right for the wind and will handle a lot of wind and still behave :thumb:

Some kites are better than others but you are correct unless you are a real good rider your unhooked wind range can be quite small. Not saying I'm a good rider BTW :lol:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 pm

alex85 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: ok, the answer is you can't :lol: :lol: :lol:

@the joe: My lines are setting with equal lenght. But I also depower the kite ( or change the knots on the pigtails ) till I can ride with the bar close to the CL, when I unhook my kite never backstall ( also in gusty wind )...I think is the only way I know to trim a kite.......................................................................if yuo know a way better than this I will be really happy to listen you :?:
That is all fine and dandy but are you sure your trim is right once your up and riding? Do realize that once your moving there is more drag on and more wind placed on the kite so it will set deeper and you will need to trim it more.

You can all so use your board to push the kite forward in the window. So here is something you can try instead of constantly playing with your trim strap. Edge really hard and get your board speed where you feel comfortable, bare off/downwind unhook, edge and pop.

Trim the kite to get it to fly at the proper angle of attack. Use your board to control your speed and the power.

P.S. Overpowered is not being able to control your board or keep an edge. So no you can not unhook in those conditions.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 am

TheJoe wrote:Overpowered is not being able to control your board or keep an edge. So no you can not unhook in those conditions.
You can be properly powered hooked in but still not able to unhook. Some days too much wind for handle pass, can't unhook, just get some airs and megaloops.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am

Also depends what kind of kite you have, bow type kites have a small range in which I felt comfortable unhooking (but huge range for hooked in). c type kites have a much bigger range, when you sheet the bar in you won't get pulled off your edge so you can still actually get pop

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Subject: unhooking overpowered-underpowered
TheJoe wrote:
alex85 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: ok, the answer is you can't :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is all fine and dandy but are you sure your trim is right once your up and riding? Do realize that once your moving there is more drag on and more wind placed on the kite so it will set deeper and you will need to trim it more.

You can all so use your board to push the kite forward in the window. So here is something you can try instead of constantly playing with your trim strap. Edge really hard and get your board speed where you feel comfortable, bare off/downwind unhook, edge and pop.

Trim the kite to get it to fly at the proper angle of attack. Use your board to control your speed and the power.

P.S. Overpowered is not being able to control your board or keep an edge. So no you can not unhook in those conditions.
First thanks for the advices...second, bare off/dowind while riding or just before/to unhook???I think to understand that you're saying to push the kite forward while riding ( =ride more upwind you can keeping enough speed ) if you're very powerd isn't right???

Return to “Kitesurfing”