Forum for kitesurfers
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginner Kiter - Kite Advice

Postby coleman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Ozone kites are very smooth performers. The best ts would give more performance in jumping and upwind once you get the hang of it. The kahoona will also be very smooth in power delivery but perhaps not as much performance as catalyst and kahoona canopy flaps alot when in flight.

The rpm is more c shaped so more direct feel and great for wakestyle and waves from the looks of it.

I would go for the catalyst. Ozone is top quality and people love the catalyst. I have never ridden any of these kites but seen them all flying and gotten feedback from buddy's about them. I ride ozone edge though and can attest to the smooth refined bar feel of ozone kites.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 am

+1 for Catalyst. I am using it often, it is very well-behaved, smooth, controllable and well-built.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Welcome to this amazing sport! 5 years now for me and every session I still feel like a kid in a candy store.

My kite recommendation is based on the fact you are a beginner kiter. Go with a high aspect ratio kite like the Cabrinha Crossbow or the Ozone Edge. You don't have to buy new either. Both the CB and the Edge are essentially the same kite from 2011 to 2013.

The reason I say go with a high aspect ratio kite is they are simply easier to ride than lower aspect ratio bow kites or C kites. They are more forgiving with the errors you will make (and we all made them at one time). You will have a wider wind range and you will be able to plane better, earlier, and go upwind much easier because of the flatter arc. Once you get really comfortable with edging both directions, making smooth transitions, then you will start to do some basic tricks. The basic tricks are easier on higher aspect ratio bow kites as well because they give you more lift and they let you down a lot softer on your landings.

Once you start learning about different riding styles then you can begin to start really testing kites and more importantly you will know what you are looking for as well. Lift, boost, pull, bar pressure, stability, turning speed, water relaunch, etc. All of this will become more aware to you once you get efficient with a kite. This is just my opinion but high aspect ratio bow kites are much easier to learn on than low aspect ratio bow kites or C kites.

I'm not partial to either Cabrinha Crossbows or Ozone's Edge...just throwing a couple out there that I have ridden that have high aspect ratios as a suggestion.

kiter8891
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mui Ne
Style: Learner
Gear: None

Postby kiter8891 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 am

Guys, thanks for all the great advice.
All the feedback really helps. I am starting to see the differences between the kite styles and what seems to be suitable for a beginner.
Ozone are manufactured in Vietnam so they are reasonably priced here and I can pickup spare parts really easily (Which from what I can tell will be a good thing seeing as I am probably going to spend a good amount of time with the kite hitting or in the water and in the repair shop)
So I think I will opt for the catalyst as a starter kite and progress from there once I can actually demo kites and feel the difference in them.

kiter8891
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mui Ne
Style: Learner
Gear: None

Postby kiter8891 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 am

Guys, thanks for all the great advice.
All the feedback really helps. I am starting to see the differences between the kite styles and what seems to be suitable for a beginner.
Ozone are manufactured in Vietnam so they are reasonably priced here and I can pickup spare parts really easily (Which from what I can tell will be a good thing seeing as I am probably going to spend a good amount of time with the kite hitting or in the water and in the repair shop)
So I think I will opt for the catalyst as a starter kite and progress from there once I can actually demo kites and feel the difference in them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”