Rare Poster
Local Beach: SJ, PR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot boards - Difference between Darko 2012 vs 2013

Postby DirkPR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi:

Anyone knows if there is big difference between these 2 boards?

2012 = 132 *40.5
2013 = 134 *41.1

Rider = 5'8" 154 lbs,, usually ride between 14 to low_20 knots Choppy Conditions,

Tks

DirkPR
Rare Poster

Re: Slingshot boards - Difference between Darko 2012 vs 2013

Postby DirkPR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Any Opinions on the newest Darko (2012 or 2013)? :roll:

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 am

Hey there,

The 2013 Darko had some pretty big changes. The biggest change in my opinion are the features on the bottom of the board. The bottom of the board now has what the marketing guys call "Double V Molded Channels". Basically, at the tip and tail of the board they have found a way to make the wood core into steps and it has a nice V spine in the middle to really help soften the landings with this thing. The steps stiffen up the tip and tail of the board a little bit but it also gives you a bit more traction. They changed the rail on the board a bit to something called a 60/40 Hich Cap Rail. This helps with the release of the board off the water and it provides a bit more hook-up to the water as well. Slingshot also beefed up all the fast tracks on all 2013 boards and made them a little cleaner by putting the insert hole in the middle of the track instead of the middle. The 2013 graphics on it are dope too! Not much more I can say about it in words. I feel like you just gotta get one and ride it to really know what I'm talking about. I really love it for flat water sessions as it cuts through that stuff like a knife. Super fun board! I hope you get your hands on one!

DirkPR
Rare Poster

Postby DirkPR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 am

K2 wrote:Hey there,

The 2013 Darko had some pretty big changes. The biggest change in my opinion are the features on the bottom of the board. The bottom of the board now has what the marketing guys call "Double V Molded Channels". Basically, at the tip and tail of the board they have found a way to make the wood core into steps and it has a nice V spine in the middle to really help soften the landings with this thing. The steps stiffen up the tip and tail of the board a little bit but it also gives you a bit more traction. They changed the rail on the board a bit to something called a 60/40 Hich Cap Rail. This helps with the release of the board off the water and it provides a bit more hook-up to the water as well. Slingshot also beefed up all the fast tracks on all 2013 boards and made them a little cleaner by putting the insert hole in the middle of the track instead of the middle. The 2013 graphics on it are dope too! Not much more I can say about it in words. I feel like you just gotta get one and ride it to really know what I'm talking about. I really love it for flat water sessions as it cuts through that stuff like a knife. Super fun board! I hope you get your hands on one!
Tks a lot K2 :D very well explained
Im still thinking on the 2012 since i got a good offer,,, I know these boards are oriented for flat water,,any idea how they handle the Chop?

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

I love the 2012 rasta graphics on the Darko! They are great in the flat water but if it gets really choppy I don't feel like the outline of the board is very suited for heavy chop. I use it here in the Hood River chop and it works fine but for more technical riders I don't think they would choose to compete in choppy conditions with a Darko. Since it has a very square outline it will bounce up and down a little more when going through chop instead of cut through it better like the Asylum or Misfit, or other boards with a more rounded outline.

I really enjoyed the 2012 Darko in flat-water to medium choppy days :) I hope that helps dude!

DirkPR
Rare Poster

Postby DirkPR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm

K2 wrote:I love the 2012 rasta graphics on the Darko! They are great in the flat water but if it gets really choppy I don't feel like the outline of the board is very suited for heavy chop. I use it here in the Hood River chop and it works fine but for more technical riders I don't think they would choose to compete in choppy conditions with a Darko. Since it has a very square outline it will bounce up and down a little more when going through chop instead of cut through it better like the Asylum or Misfit, or other boards with a more rounded outline.

I really enjoyed the 2012 Darko in flat-water to medium choppy days :) I hope that helps dude!
Yeahh That helps :) Tks a lot K2

Return to “Kitesurfing”