Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale
Brand Affiliation: None

Puerto Vallarta

Postby pecmajor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 pm

I will be in PV March 4 2013 for a week :dance: . I want to bring my kites and board and plan to cab or bus it to Bucerias as my online research tells me that's the place in PV. My research on the wind says the windy season starts in March and goes to about April. Looks like mainly thermal afternoon winds best on sunny days. I am not sure how much to depend on windfinder.com for the forecasts due to the local thermal effects. I plan to bring my 17m 13m and 11m kites. Will the 17m be too big? I can only bring one board it will be 144cm long.
I have had no luck finding any local kite schools or local info but have only tried searching in English not Spanish. Most of the info on kiteforum is old and the PV web sites mentioned in the old posts are no longer on the net. I hope this does not mean kiting in PV area is dismal. I hope it is solely due to the short wind season in PV making it difficult to run a kite boarding business. If any one has any advice or local knowledge it would be much appreciated.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario

Re: Puerto Vallarta

Postby pecmajor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Bump, any one know the kite scene in Puerto Vallarta?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Pec,
I was there in April last year. I guess the season was a little off, but I did manage to get in a few downwinder sessions. We were staying in Burros (in between Bucerias and Mita) so I would try to launch there in funky side-off winds, downwind, then land at Destiladeras Beach, which was really nice. Plenty of room to walk way upwind on the beach there. It seemed as if getting off the beach at Bucerias with weak onshore winds would be tough. Big board, lightwind kite essential. No wind? Surf or fish.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario

Postby pecmajor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks Matt, was hoping for a more optimistic report. I guess there are few reports because PV/Bucerias is not known for its wind. I will bring big my 17m zepher and hope for the best. We will enjoy ourselves one way or another with surf sun and Mexican culture.

Muri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altata, México
Style: Race
Gear: SlingShot Turbo Diesel III 14,
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Muri » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Pec,
PV wind is from April to June, but you may get some in March. Do not bring the 11Mts no need. Once you get to Bucerias you can easily find all the info for wind and beaches you need to know.
Yes PV is a thermal so it will not show on windfinder, but also you can get south and norte winds.
Good Luck,
Bienvenido a Mexico.
Arturo

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario

Postby pecmajor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks Arturo, good advice. now I only have to pack two kites, 17 and 13. I did have suspicions that the thermal winds would not show on windfinder. I found some cool videos showing great kiting at Bucerias on You tube with lots of kites in the sky so there must be some wind there. The kites in the video were on the large side but still there was lots of jumping and tricks. I will hope for the best wind in early March and have fun in sunny Mexico. My non kiting partner may see more of me than on our or previous vacations.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS

Postby mmeyers12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 am

Pecmajor,

I was living in Sayulita, just north of Bucerias during April a few years back surfing. I did not kite at the time, but I do recall passing by on bus on several occasions, looking out the window and thinking to myself, "it is windy here every day!" (I found it interesting because there was no wind at all in Sayulita). Anyway, check out this website to get some better info. You might consider bringing the 11 depending on your weight.

http://kitesurfvacation.com/?page_id=2140&lang=en

Also, be sure to write a report of your vacation when you return!!

Mike

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS

Postby mmeyers12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 am

ha. I followed a link here and lazily read your time frame.... I guess my advice was pretty useless at this point.... sorry about that.

How was the trip?

billymayerkite
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby billymayerkite » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 am

Hi i am from Bucerias, haha was just reading the post thinking about it and for casuality were you the guy that had a cabrinha switchblade out just courious. staying at nuevo vallarta?
Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”