Forum for kitesurfers
bounce
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Taipei, Taiwan?

Postby bounce » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi,

Seems I will be getting some time off near Taipei the weekend after next.

Can someone tell me if it is worth bringing my gear, - and where to go?

From some older posts I see that GuanYin (or KuanYin) are close to the airport, - and very windy just now.

How are the conditions at this time of the year, - will there be others there, - do I need a wetsuit, accomodation nearby etc?

Thanks,

Frode.

pihu
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Taipei, Taiwan?

Postby pihu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Gyuanying is a really nice spot, but not much out there in term of accomodation.

If you are willing to travel a bit further, Zhunan is a nice place (also called Chunan or Jhunan). There is a nice surf club called "the spot" where you can have basic accomodation. There are always a few riders on weekend there. Here is the link the the website:
http://www.spot.com.tw

Tony, the owner, is a really nice guy and you can contact him for more info.

I would definitely recommend a wetsuit at this time of the year.

Have a good one,

Pierre

joffaburger
Rare Poster
Local Beach: When I'm back home - Gold Coast - Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and Kirra
Favorite Beaches: Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and KirraMerimbula, Philip Island, Flinders, Pt Leo, Pt Impossible, Pt Danger, Cactus, Margaret River, Falcon Bay, Woodmans Pt, Dutch Inn, Lancelin, Gero,
Style: surf
Gear: custom surf board KOMA expoxy NSP fish thruster 6 footer - Eclipse KIMA kites 12m 9m and soon a 6m!

Postby joffaburger » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 am

GuanYin is nuclear wind this time of the year if blowing NE which it normally does all winter! You will need 5m-7m kite and water as no amenties at the beach at all although a very very friendly group of guys! Ask for Nico he is the local windsurf/kitesurf shop owner located 300m or so from the beach. He could put you up at his shop in a basic bunk and shower if you stuck for accomodation as hotels are 10-15 min drive away otherwise the "Spot" Jhunan 1hr 15min drive from the airport has better facilities and is also right on the beach ask for Tony when you get there...Here is the number of a good limo driver that knows how to get to GyuanYin and the Spot will pick you up at airport or anywhere around Taipei. Mr Peng 886 910 123 839 TW$2000 to take you to the spot much less from airport to GuanYin (20mins). Hope this helps I'm normally in Taiwan too this time of the year alas not this time :(

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:53 am

joffaburger wrote:GuanYin is nuclear wind this time of the year if blowing NE which it normally does all winter!
F**k me dead!!! http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc ... sty=m_menu
Is there any time of the year when there is the same wind but with water temperatures of at least 26°C and warm air temperature?

Cheers
Caesar 8)

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Frode:

If you have time in Taipei, why not visit one of the best kite surfing destination in the world, Penghu. The wind is constant 25-35 knot, nice wave and crystal clear water. It is only one 50-minute flight away from Taipei city. You can also have a friendly B&B near the kiting beach.

Check out the image taken today.

if you are interested, check Penghu Kitesurfing website, it has all the information you need.

http://www.penghuwindsurf.idv.tw/

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:06 am

I went to "the spot" and it was great, a really nice set up there and very friendly crowd.
How does Penghu compare in terms of beach and waves?

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 am

Taiwan in September is a bit of a gamble. The monsoon switches from SW to NE and typically there is no wind during that month. October to March is the typical NE season. But the pattern has been less marked last couple of years, so who knows?

p.s. Penghu is a 30 min flight from Taipei and water is much cleaner than Guanyin; with better chance of wind. Try Jan Hou's B&B there, regardless wind or not you'll enjoy it!

taiwan-hank
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The beaches in South Taiwan.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, Airush

Postby taiwan-hank » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:39 pm

It is about 90% opportunity windy in Taiwan from September to March.
It is about 20% opportunity windy in Taiwan from April to August.
Please see the wind predict website, windyty.com/?23.500,121.000,1 for reference.
Welcome Kiteboarding in Taiwan.

I rent the kiteboards in Taiwan.
So, if someone plans to Kiteboarding in Taiwan, you do not need to carry the kiteboards boarding.
It will let your Kiteboarding vocation become more easily.
Regarding the detail for renting Kiteboarding gears from us, please see kiteboarding.com.tw/Gears-rental.html
If you have any question about kiteboarding in Taiwan, please email hank@kiteboarding.com.tw

Return to “Kitesurfing”