Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which is the best looping kite money can buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which is the best looping kite money can buy?

Postby Eduardo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Hard to give a good answer without more info. What kite are you looping now and what is your looping style and goal and I assume you mean hooked in and ...

since any kite can loop the question is how much power do you want out of it and how fast do you want it. if you really want the full power then definitely the fuel is the gold standard- even a down loop on that will get your attention. I will admit I only loop those with medium power - no way would I pull the trigger way up there with a fuel!

or if you're looking for a lower power loop (for soft landings, learning, or just more for style points) then you just want a fast turner that doesn't generate loads of power. lots of bridled kites and open-C designs are in this category but there's a lot of variance and demos are advisable.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Not sure what you want out of a loop, but if you can demo a few kites I also recommend to demo a Wainman (preferably the Mr. Green of Smoke)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 am

Eduardo wrote:Hard to give a good answer without more info. What kite are you looping now and what is your looping style and goal and I assume you mean hooked in and ...

since any kite can loop the question is how much power do you want out of it and how fast do you want it. if you really want the full power then definitely the fuel is the gold standard- even a down loop on that will get your attention. I will admit I only loop those with medium power - no way would I pull the trigger way up there with a fuel!

or if you're looking for a lower power loop (for soft landings, learning, or just more for style points) then you just want a fast turner that doesn't generate loads of power. lots of bridled kites and open-C designs are in this category but there's a lot of variance and demos are advisable.
Exactly. I dont get how people can just throw out something without asking OP what he is looking for.

Every kite will loop, now what you are looking for in the loop will deterine what is the best looping kite for you.

So if you want a fast horizontal pull or a kite the whips around with less power and than can be more controlled..these are two completely different kites.

I am going to take a stab at saying you might not have extreme options when it comes to demos...so here are the kites I am familiar with:

Torch. C kites. Will break your neck. But an awesome pull from even innocuous situations. Super fun but crazy for us normal riders.

Bolt full on control. Will loop easy, but have just a bit of pull...can be depowered through the loop great kite when you are practicing stuff.

The Ride is very similar. Has slightly more pull in the loop. Bonus is that this kite only has two struts,...super light and killer fun.

2013 Park: Somewhere between the ride and Torch. The new park has a bit more pull, but still very very controllable. Not much of 0 to mach speed like the torch...but much more pull than the ride. Also this kite is super stable in any kind of wind. Good times.

just make sure you know what you want out of the kite. there is no one best kite for looping..they are different. THis is a good step, but think about what tricks you want to do with it.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 am

It is not the Bridle that changes the way a kite loops it is the design, shape, position of attachment points etc , that determine how a kite loops. Many kites will stall before they complete the loop, and many will pivot turn without power.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 am

I think RPM is very good. Shown on the picture is 4.5 RPM.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Get a kite that loops easy and can "catch" you even easy...try some ones and then decide..I use to ride the Epic screamer 7m,9m wich is generally an easy kite to loop..Now i m much better and i go out with 35+ and turn to Judge (c-kite) and throw som realy big ones...Dont get excited seeing videos with kiteloops done with small lines(15m) its too easy but if sonething goes wrong (stall in the power zone ) can send you to a hospital.

i ve tried the RPM in every size...the kites loops very easy and catch you but has no power at all :(

kiterdrew
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach, Anna Maria, Skyway
Favorite Beaches: East Beach, Skyway
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Mutiny Kites

Postby kiterdrew » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 am

If we are talking money here... I cant see a better deal anywhere :D

second_hand.php?task=showAd&id=11092&Itemid=

Also was voted best kitelooping kite by some test in Kiteboarding Mag.

-Drew

Busdriver
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui, Kailula,Oahu
Style: Strapped Directional
Gear: Slingshot Revs, Rpms and Liquid Force Havoc, F-one 5'2" fish

Postby Busdriver » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 am

My vote is for the Ocean Rodeo Razor.

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 am

Get c kites, dont be a weiner trying to loop on some bridled grandpa machine.

And dont take advice from kooks who only recommend kites from one brand, they obviously have skin in the game.

swim82
Rare Poster

Postby swim82 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I have the rpm, the ozone c4 and the gts2. The ozone c4 works best for me for looping. GTS is also good but the c4 has the edge. The rpm is also an awesome kite but not as ''c'' like as the other 2.

Return to “Kitesurfing”