experimenting can be fun but remember
if your gonna be dumb, you better be tough

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2004 Slingshot Fuel 11m and 2012 CSC Bar Question

Postby JGTR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

nikalaitzian wrote:It is crazy what people think to overcome the lack of money ! :o Be carefull with "dinosaur" that your going to fly.kites then where very dangerous with no wind range and gust control :cry:
Ha ha really, local kid at my beach brought one of these complete for £40 and rips on it, hardly dangerous - seems more dangerous to me all those people who think they have 100% depower and take their kites out in far too much wind :o

trxdude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, San Diego CA aka Stinky's, Mission Beach, Silver Strand, Belmont Shore
Favorite Beaches: Key West, Kailua, Tourmaline,
Style: kook
Gear: 2012 Light Wave Dave 44in Storm, 2011 Slingshot 17m Turbine, 2011 Lost 6'2" x 22.75 x 2.56 Keahana Motivator, 2011 Naish 115 x 42 cm Wakeskate, 2012 Blade 12m Trigger, 2012 LWD 6'1 2012 DV8, 2004 Slingshot Fuel 11m, 2003 Slingshot Fuel 8m, 2013 Slingshot Rally 14m, 2010 Slingshot RPM 10m, 2012 Airush SKC 114 x 42, Custom Little Devil Surf Skate, Liquid Force Anthem 44 Skate w/ Slingshot Fins, Lost Whiplash 6'4" x 18.77 x 2.3

wishlist: (6m, 8m, 10m BWS Noise) (2012-2013 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m Fuel) (2013 10m Cloud) (2013 9m Cabrinha Switchblade w/Jason Stone Skate)

Could also use a lot more of those precision things Dorothy's friends wanted from the Wizard of Oz, i.e. strength, courage and heart : )
Brand Affiliation: Zendiego Fitness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby trxdude » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:04 pm

edt wrote:i love those old fuels and the cabrinha black tips that's what I mainly ride. So annoying that they make the line lengths different on that compstick bar.

If I had a compstick I would mod the leaders, add .65m length to the control line pigtails and then put on new equal length lines. Nothing is more annoying that a bar with unequal lines. Makes swapping lines a pain.

If you are riding C kites, remember, the 5th line mini-y does not depower the kite you must fully flag out, which I seem to remember the compstick does so you should be fine. I ride all kinds of bars with my old C kites, just make sure the line length at the kite is equal and your safety works, and you are good.

When they sold those kites, most people rode them 5 line style so you can flag out on the 5th line and have easier relaunch. Personally I like riding them 4 line style and swim to the kite to relaunch etc.
Thanks for the positive feedback bro, I need to figure out that swimming to the kite to relaunch gig... Guessing you would set the kite up with the leading edge downwind and just hot launch that sucker huh? :nono: Or maybe you are setting it up on it's side to to so something more sane.

As to a couple of the other reply's, money wasn't the issue, curiosity was, and based on the location and day's I'm flying this kind of kite, I'd almost pray for a gust :thumb: After being stuck to my $2,000 Slingshot Ox (Turbine) or trying to keep my 12m Blade Trigger or 14m Slingshot Rally or .... in the air (when the wind goes from 17mph to 11mph) I figured why not start thinking about C kites. On days when I can't get a pull, I still like to fly kites, and the Slingshot B3 was starting to loose my interest; hence, find some nice new older C kites (8m and 11.5), beat the piss out of them, determine "wether" or not you're a C kite guy. The Slingshot bar came labeled with line measurements, and even after testing the lengths, my brain still told me something was wrong/different/irregular. Guess the autist in me didn't get the clue until I curiously tried to install 19m (Blade-Trigger like) lines on my 23 inch CSS bar (with the hope of adding turn speed and a bit of depower to my 17m beast for those not so light wind days {12-17mph} and to miraculously go upwind, [which I've heard is nearly impossible with the Turbine]). Anyway, 12 months later, I'm learning a lot about hardware, line lengths, kite tuning, body dragging upwind, walking the beach (walk of shame? :bye: no, walk of fame :cool2: ) and jedi like kite flying skills. At this point I'm ready to buy a simple 4 line 7m Fuel, leave my harness on the beach, catch a 23 knot unhooked 10 mile downwinder and carve S turns on my quad fin 6'2" Lost Motivator until my arms fall off. To hell with de-power, slider bars, 5th lines, bridles, re-launch, race boards, Sectors, high AR kites and mostly to hell with winds that go from 18 to 16 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 8 to 16 to 11 to 12......................
:argue: (disgruntled, light wind #kitesearcher)

:lol:

btw, pumping up kites with no single point inflation system, and that require you to use needle nose pliers on each value, surly lends itself to gratitude toward the technological advancements the sport has made.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm

trxdude wrote: btw, pumping up kites with no single point inflation system, and that require you to use needle nose pliers on each value, surly lends itself to gratitude toward the technological advancements the sport has made.
It was 2004 slingshot went to onepump btw so you have a 2003. You should resell that 2003 for $10 and get a 2004 or later for $50 it's worth it to get onepump. Go watch some "relaunch C kite" videos about how to relaunch you roll the kite on its back. Also if you find some cabrinha black tips like the contra or nitro from 2004 or 2005 those are sweet kites but are all multipump. You are better off by the way using a modern bar that flags to a single line with those old kites, some of those old bars were deadly.

A 2009 or later fuel is awesome, they relaunch by tugging a rear line. If you're not a budget they are super fun and don't require you learn old style C kite launch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”