Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Ozone Edge 10m & 19m now available

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Someone pls test the 19! But not for racing! Jump that b**** ;-)

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefaans » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Dj, The kite were not added because of any go to size. These kites were added because of racing rules limiting you to 4 kites and each kite is in a category too.

Not sure what the numbers were but every rider needs to select 1 kite out of each category. addding these kites gives racers their best shot and having the right kites.
7,10,13,19 for instance. without the 10m you would have to pick 90 or 11 that will leave a 4m gap so the only way to get the most out of your quiver is to add even sized kites to create a 3m gap.

I have a 19m Edge on order.

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DJwilson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Stefaans that was what I was getting at - it s to do with some racing technicalities then. I thought it must be something more than just thinking, Oh let s make a 10m kite, we ve been missing out on this size all our lives. It's Ozone for God's sake......thanks for enlightening me

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 am

From a freeride perspective the 10m would be an ideal size. The 11m on the fast setting is pretty good but even then lacks some speed in the turn. 9m turns excellent on the fast setting (low bar pressure), but lacks some of the smoothness of the 11m as it flies very fast to the edge of the window. Also less canopy for those long floaty glides. Dont get me wrong these are just subtle nuances I've noticed still both superb sizes. To me a 10 would be the best of both sizes. Quicker turning for looping, redirection etc and enough canopy to give you those huge glides and easier for more vertical lift like the 9m. Thing is where I kite apart from the main season the 11m is the kite I need otherwise I'd swap both for a 10! Also I'm getting down to 10knots on a skim board on the 11m.

And also like all edge riders would understand you get addicted to power, speed, height and glide 11 has more than a 10. Lol! But yeh the real reason is for racing regulations.

Ps well some other kites give you the vertical height, but nothing brings you down like an edge. On that definition it is the best jumping kite I've ever come across.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

I have flown the 10m in 15-20 knots and in 25-30 knots.

Straight off the beach in the low end of the wind range the kite feels like a flysurfer in the way it builds up apparent wind super fast and then you rocket off. The speed I was able to travel at is quite astonishing ( I was on a twin tip) as for jumping... wow! the way the kite rips you off the water is amazing.

I flew the kite at the upper end of it's range and I can safely say this is one of the best jumping kites I have ever flown, the way the kite rockets past 12 and the violent way it rips you off the water is quite something. even without trying that hard I was getting maybe 15m up off the flat.

I really want to try a 7m in 40 knots now!

Toby, I can comment on the 15m in a few weeks - If I were you I would have a go yourself, serious contender to best airstyle kite.

tony

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 am

Advantages for Toby extreme hang time and float. Disadvantages no real useable stopper the Allen key one losses after a while. If only we could find a decent stopper system on the plastic sheathed depower ropes.

And above. Have you flown any edges before? is this 10m any different cant see how if it is just the same design?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

Westozzy wrote:Advantages for Toby extreme hang time and float. Disadvantages no real useable stopper the Allen key one losses after a while. If only we could find a decent stopper system on the plastic sheathed depower ropes.

And above. Have you flown any edges before? is this 10m any different cant see how if it is just the same design?
I haven't flown any edges before though I have pretty much flown every other kite out there.

I fly Slingshot Fuels and have spent a lot (10 years) on flysurfers.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Toby -- if you call Ozone , (in France) -- i would bet an entire
6-pack of beer that they would sponsor you with that 19 Ya
want to try .

Ps: Don't bother with the USA distributor though, there kinda
Clue-Less.

Bille

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Don't worry about the bars, currently only one does it for me, the North bar until 2012.
Most important is the Microloop for what I do.
A stopper will only get you to a semi good level of airstyle.

Maybe Ozone one day ads it as add on to their bar, since then they would have a killer airstyle package!

Let's hope!

Anyway, can someone jump the 19 please?

isidrov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South East England
Favorite Beaches: Whitstable, East Wittering
Style: not yet defined :-)
Gear: Cabrinha xbows 06

Postby isidrov » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Toby wrote:Don't worry about the bars, currently only one does it for me, the North bar until 2012
Toby, anything wrong with 2013 model or you haven't tried it yet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”