Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe Ferry
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Bandit 6 questions

Postby Luke Palin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I am currently looking to upgrade my kites (from Cab Switchblades) and have decided to go for the Bandit 6. A couple of questions- how good is the low end on a Bandit (compared to a Switchblade)? Secondly, how are they at 'tethered' self launching? Cheers, Luke.

undertow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River / Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Hood River / Oregon Coast, South Padre Island, Texas Corpus Christi TX.
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Waves / Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
F- One
Slingshot
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bandit 6 questions

Postby undertow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 pm

In have Bandit 5s and they are great to self launch and land, I use a stake (Kitebuddy) Brand

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 pm

I am also switching from cab xbow to the bandit 6. I demo'd the bandit 6 for 3 days in different wind conditions. The b6 punched thru the gusts and handled the higher winds (12m in 18-20mph) very well. better than the 13m xbow that I'm replacing. I found that the low end of the B6 and the xbow were very similar. Kind of generic, hope it helps. I never tether launched one so I cannot give an opinion.

Luke Palin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe Ferry
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Luke Palin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Cheers for the advice guys.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm

I had some SB from 2010 to 2013 and I have a quiver of B6 right now. You will have no problem to self launch or land with the B6. The B6 have much lower bar pressure (even when compare to SB 2013), turn much faster, is as powerful, jump and hangtime is similar but more explosive on the B6, bar feeling is more direct (no delay) and I prefer the simplicity of the Fone bar. However, I think that the SB is more stable in gusty wind and is slightly easier/faster to relaunch.

le noun
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean beach, SF.

Postby le noun » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 am

I haven't tried the SB but I've been riding the bandit 6 for a couple of months now (9m and 12m, haven't got a chance to unpack the 7m yet but march is coming fast. :P )
I do self launch and tether launch at ocean beach and I never had an issue.
the kite stays parked where it should be. The kite sometimes gets elevated a few feet off the ground on a gust but it doesn't pass the edge of the wind window and fall on its side: it just slowly drops back on its wing and stays where it should stay, ready for you to launch it.

I find it more predictable and soft in the gusts than the bandit 5 but still as light and fast.
boost and hang time are more in par with what the bandit 4 offered in the past, more of a plug and play if you will (which I found the bandit 5 lost a little).
So far I love it. :)

Lost
Medium Poster

Postby Lost » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 am

I tested both kites in size 12 back to back. They are totally two different kites. The SB it is slower, more bar pressure, more stable for wakestyle. The Bandit 6 feels more like a sports car compared with SB. Turns faster, less bar pressure, more stable than the previous B5 (maybe a little slower).
The SB bar it is nice and fancier for sure. I liked the quick release, you can use either hand. I hate the depower bungies. They are pain to pull.
The B6 bar is very similar with last year, the grip is better.
SB has a nice airtime, very floaty. The take off is smooth.
Personally I like the B6 air and hangtime better. Feels like the hand of god pulls you out of the water and you get that fast elevator feeling. So you have a more accelerating feel.
Self landing I never had a problem with any of the kites.
Both kites have a nice construction. The B6 is lighter.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

I have a question about twisting center lines as I tend to do a lot of rotations and kiteloops in one direction only. The switch blade is easy to untwist with your hand below the bar when you notice excessive center line twisting. I have heard that the bandits 5/6 have a self turning swivel higher up which is not reachable by the rider and sometimes does not untwist automatically as desired. Could anyone please clear up how the bandits center line untwisting feature works.

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am

The Swivel on the Bandits works great when the lines are under tension, however the mini 5th and the center line keep twisting and twisting, it can maybe affect the QR system... never thought about it.
However, it will give you a good excuse to learn rotations to the other side :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”