Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: wave kite with excellent low end?

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm

BWS have by all accounts loads of low end and their team riders seem to manage

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby prayfawind27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 pm

The Noise bro, when everyone is riding 12 and 13m I am on my Noise 10m

rebeliousone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beach
Style: Straps=no
Gear: Rebels

Postby rebeliousone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:15 pm

North Rebels. North has a lot of good wave kites, but the 2013 works well pivoting off the 5th line. The bar pressure is spot on and they are fast enough. They haul upwind with ease. I am a large guy and my counterparts 60 lbs lighter are on the same size as me.

I am anxious to try the new North NEO...should be sick in the surf too!

:party1:

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

ok, maybe we are living in a separate universe here:

When I am surfing, then .. ehm .. I surf? All traction and dynamic is provided by ... ehm .. the surf? All what I expect from my kite is stability and handling while I am .. ehm .. surfing? When I am done surfing I want my kite to get me back to my lineup and I'll start .. ehm .. surfing again?!

Low end on a 'wave kite' (whatever that in marking lingo means) is for TRACTION which I already have, provided by the waves, a.k.a. .. ehm ... surf!?
Generally I am not in the surf to fight the waves, rather go with them, I don't fight them. Otherwise I have the wrong attitude and I need to join the NAVY.

So, personally I think, looking in a 'wave kite' for low end is the wrong place to look. If you need TRACTION while surfing you are doing something wrong.

peace

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm

blacktip wrote:
Pretty sure you want a kite that springs forward in the bottum turn, so you are free in the top turn.
Otherwise you'd get pulled off doing you unhooked moves.
Basically any kite wil spring forward when lines are tensioned. They just differ in how they recover from and handle slack lines.

Any kite can be used in waves. Any big kite is a lowend kite. Whether if works for you or not is entirely up to your skills. In my perception, people having trouble waveriding with kites bigger than 7m, should first consider changing their idea of what waveriding actually is. If you are overspeeding the speed of the wave, you'll find yourself fighting to turn the kite for another hit. Adjust to the speed of the wave, get a proper volume board, and these kite issues are done.

And remember: its not the kite that drifts, it is you ALLOWING the kite to drift.
I think this depends heavily on what the wind direction is. Try riding in side off. I am willing to bet you want that kite to move forward with no huge spike in power off the top :-)

I do think different kites drifts differently. This is exactly why I am so excited about the low weight alternatives popping up.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 am

ankers wrote:in my feeling low end is important as you want your kite as small as possible. so prefer to take a 7 with low end than a normal 9.
On our nice small to medium size waves where i kite (light wind 8-9-10-11kn) ...avg 9.5kn

So many prefer to take a "17" with low end....but a "19" Riot Core XR2LW with excellent low end ......
........always beats them :wink:

I brought this up because you were talking 7 and 9..and where i am we need an extra 10m2 of cloth

..................................... :lol: ....... :sun: :pump: :surf: ..............................................................................

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 am

In reference to Dr. Makani.
I've always looked for wave kites with good low end. Two reasons really. 1. I'm heavier than most. 2. Good low-end also lets me fly smaller sizes. I'm about 200 lbs. And with my 6' 2" surfboard, I can start riding my BWS 8m in about 16-17 knots.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 am

+1 Iblocal

Rebel, Trigger 14, NOISE and the Rabbits.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:In reference to Dr. Makani.
I've always looked for wave kites with good low end. Two reasons really. 1. I'm heavier than most. 2. Good low-end also lets me fly smaller sizes. I'm about 200 lbs. And with my 6' 2" surfboard, I can start riding my BWS 8m in about 16-17 knots.
you mean your 10m.... :D

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Westozzy wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:In reference to Dr. Makani.
you mean your 10m.... :D
Exactly...it turns like it too

Return to “Kitesurfing”