Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which tricks where shown at King of the Air?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which tricks where shown at King of the Air?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm

johnm wrote:sorry but these toby / dimitri would've won comments genuinely wind me up - not to mention a bit of an insult to the people who actually competed...

First off - 'making nice videos' is a world away from competition riding. Toby of all people ought to know that following his so-called airstyle world championships.

Second - this 'can't / don't want to' argument works both ways. Does anyone genuinely think Youri is incapable of doing a boardoff? or that a deadman is beyond Sam's abilities? Or do you think maybe they chose not to?

With the judging - it wasn't just 'height' - it was:

70% Height and Extremity (Risk - Speed
- Angle of the kite - Tricks - Loops)

so with each trick the judges were weighing up not just the height - but also 'how extreme was the risk' 'how extreme was the angle of the kite' etc...

honestly got nothing against oldschool stuff - its fun to do and can be fun to watch - but c'mon lets not pretend it's in the same league as the genuinely difficult / scary shit...
Hear hear, just my words too !

That is the downside of the internet - there are so many who think and state they (or others) can do "everything" much higher/faster/better, without not even having been there :roll:

Almost like those claiming they jump 30-40 feet often, and in real life they rarely come higher than 10 or max 15 :bravo:

This "deception" is IMO the reason why so many get dissapointed when seeing video/kitesurfing on the internet, as they have put themeself in this situation no matter what will be shown, as their reference is out of line.

I also REALLY think many underestimate these guys by a huge margin :naughty:

They would be able to do almost every thinkable trick, if they desired (or had to) :thumb:

:D PF

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:43 pm

If so, why so much dangling Peter?

And would you agree, that were the best big air riders out there?

Sure, they could, if the train it. But most of them don't, they prefer to stay low.

One day KotA will show what I mean, than I will pull this topic up again.

Just watch the 2005 KotA, bigdayz.com and Epic Attack videos. You might get it, what is missing for ME.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Dangling: being suspended straight down from the kite for the entire boost. Doesn't matter what your doing there, its dangling. PKRA pros throw inverted handle passes and it can still be dangling if the kite is at noon. Almost every recreational kiter out there does nothing but dangle, and all 600+ tricks of airstyle are most certainly dangling.

At KOTA they loop the kite more often than not. Kind of the exact opposite of dangling.

This place is so funny. They go huge, and are looping small kites and people use it as proof positive that you can only get 8 sec of hangtime and that naishes 14 seconds is a digitally altered conspiracy. :lol:

They go for pure height in 30 knots on 9m kites in a 70% big air contest and you critisize it as dangling! :nono:

Sure is dangling.... world class at that!

Johnm said it all.

If you are dissapointed in what is on offer in the kiting world today and it just doesn't showecase what or who you think it should, than it is going to be up to you to define and organize your own event.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Will do.
And train some kids to show you what really is possible!

But the trick from Ruben I described before is what I am looking at. That is 100% style with no dangling!

Never mind my comments, I am in my own world. I see things no one else sees. Sorry for that!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Toby wrote:Will do.
And train some kids to show you what really is possible!

But the trick from Ruben I described before is what I am looking at. That is 100% style with no dangling!

Never mind my comments, I am in my own world. I see things no one else sees. Sorry for that!
ruben had probably the best trick there, but he lost that heat because he didnt have enough height, other riders saw that and adjusted their riding accordingly

like i said before they need to fix the scoring so style is more important than pure height

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Both should be possible. It just needs more training from those who don't do it daily.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Toby wrote:Both should be possible. It just needs more training from those who don't do it daily.

None of these guys go out there to deliberately lose the contest. Throwing Toby style big airs is pretty much a promise to lose. All it takes is one jump where you don't go higher than the other guy and you are out of the competition.

I promise you if they keep it 70% height you will see exactly the same lack of style.

Anyway we agree, the style is lacking. What we disagree on is the cause. I think all those riders can throw the tricks you think they can't. I think if they don't change the scoring nothing will change. You think if they just invite different competitors that will fix things.

The riders aren't stupid. They see one rider throwing great stylish tricks. And he loses the heat to another rider who goes 2 inches higher. Do you think they will throw down some styling tricks or just concentrate entirely on height?

Return to “Kitesurfing”