Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Ozone Edge 10m & 19m now available

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:58 am

I think it is very good that a small kite can sit just above you. Good for doing hooked tricks.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:29 am

Westozzy wrote:Yes I would concur with that. Its not a 'rip you off the water' type of kite. I to have flown kites that do that in a more obvious way. But there is technique involved and it takes some time to dial it in. Once you do especially on the 9m and 7m, you still produce an incredible vertical dimension. The thing I like is the hang time and the confidence that even on an immense jump you can be confident that you will land soft as butter..that I haven't experienced to this degree on another kite. This vertical dimension becomes harder to dial in from the 11m up.
Hi Westozzy,

Just out of curiosity- have you ever flown an Epic Screamer? If you ever get a chance do so and let us know what you think in comparison to the Edge.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 am

Westozzy... If you know know how to jump properly it only takes a few runs and jumps to know where the best bar position for max speed - setting up for a jump, sending it, actual jump, trimming, bar position at bottom loop a send speed for butter soft landings... If you know how to jump properly... theres no magic key to any kite that you need to spend days on unless your skills are average !!!
Theres also plenty of kites that put you down softly too... no great revelation there also.
As Toby says - great for airstyle being slower up high...

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:03 am

The lower my kite is before I send it the harder it rips me off the water. Send it with the kite high and its not as big a yank. Depends on jumping style. I have seen my buddy on a dyno going huge and gliding very far. I have not tried it yet but I'm sure it's a good jumper. I am going to get a 19 edge but its a month away:( I will give some feedback after trying.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:Hey Tone,
Im curious as to your claims that the 10m "rips you off the water" !! Ive tested the 2013 7m edge for a high wind big jump/loop kite and it is slow across the window, which translated to the kite sitting back in the window a bit with a medium pull into the air... resulting in more of a glide style jump... very predictable though by no means aggressive - comparitive too many kites on the market..
Its at its best in park mode obviously as its designed for.
The test session was done on butter flat water, removing the takeoff ramps - giving true feed back on the kites actual lift ability ...
Interesting that I also tested back to back with an allrounder that jumped higher... the 7m edge doesnt tick all the boxes if you have an aggresive style !
So yes im very interested to know what canopy profile strut changes have been made to the 10m make it turn so fast ????
Hi Kite2Heaven,

I will try and get some vid of me riding next time I am out.

My other kite is a Fuel 9m which I love, really solid power and I feel very safe on it. I like to throw that kite around the sky and for sure it can be pretty aggressive when I'm riding it at the upper end of its limit (35+ knots) - I'm 6ft and about 100kg.

I found the 10m Edge really pleasant in the lower wind range - when you sent it you felt like you shouldn't be going as high as you actually were. In the afternoon, behind a local concrete structure the water was super flat and I was able to get some really solid tension in the lines, wind was a gusty 25knots, jumping left to right. When really loading up the rail and getting some speed (you cannot doubt this is a fast kite through the air which means the rider is also travelling at high speed) I found that sending the kite from say 3 o'clock through 12 the upwards pull was spectacular, I bruised my ribs from the harness. It was easy, real easy to get 35+ feet up, I could see over the road from the beach and into the pub car park which I haven't seen very often.

Thing is I am not affiliated with Ozone in any way whatsoever - I was just totally taken aback by three things.

1. Speed - you will see these kites at speed sailing events for sure
2. Stability - I had a 2010 RPM which when you were edging upwind to dump some power after landing a trick would flutter SO violently and back fly that it really worried me - the Edge doesn't do this, it just sits at the edge of the window waiting for you to get your shit together again.
3. Jumping - I found it easier time in time out to go 10-20% higher than I do on my other kite

It does require a lot of air in the kite, for some reason I must not have tightened up the red release valve on the kite fully and it went down a tiny bit which resulted in the kite folding in a little on jumps. I put more air into the kite and went back out and it was rock solid, no flutter or folding tips.

It seems this kite is one of the first inflatables that feels really aerodynamic and you can use that with ease. I don't doubt with the right conditions (25-30 knots - flat water and more time on the water) that 15m jumps will become standard.

I'm a bit gutted about the comment on the 7m as I really want to pull the trigger on that in 40 knots! wooah! seen the Eddy Lansink vid and I want a piece of that pie! http://vimeo.com/50877773

I will get some vid becuase it is very hard to find anything on the Edge it seems. A few racing ones.

Tony

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:Westozzy... If you know know how to jump properly it only takes a few runs and jumps to know where the best bar position for max speed - setting up for a jump, sending it, actual jump, trimming, bar position at bottom loop a send speed for butter soft landings... If you know how to jump properly... theres no magic key to any kite that you need to spend days on unless your skills are average !!!
Theres also plenty of kites that put you down softly too... no great revelation there also.
As Toby says - great for airstyle being slower up high...
Wrong.

I'd stay its the other way round. if you think you can dial into any kite withing a couple runs and be jumping it to its full potential then you must be a very average rider and jumper. you wont be flying the kite to its full potential. Sure yourl be jumping it.... but not to its potential.

Sure you use the same basic technique send it, load and pop, redirect, land. But the application of that basic technique is slightly different on each kite.

If you were on the edge and weren't getting nose watering height then you haven't dialled into its techique properly.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I will get some vid becuase it is very hard to find anything on the Edge it seems. A few racing ones.

Tony

Yes please..Can some one get some decent footage of the ozone edge jumping. I am interested in getting a 9m but can never find much footage of the kites, except for people just riding around on them.. :roll:

Anyone flown the edge on shorter lines. I fly RRD obsessions and like kites super fast and snappy. I read the edge is a slow turning kite on 25 meter lines. Thinking it must speed the turning a bit on 22m or 20m lines ???

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm

No problem. I was on 25m lines. It certainly felt like it would loop ok. Will stick some 20s on it and have a crack. It turna quick enough to make the lines 'sing' as it flies the opposite way.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Caesar wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Yes I would concur with that. Its not a 'rip you off the water' type of kite. I to have flown kites that do that in a more obvious way. But there is technique involved and it takes some time to dial it in. Once you do especially on the 9m and 7m, you still produce an incredible vertical dimension. The thing I like is the hang time and the confidence that even on an immense jump you can be confident that you will land soft as butter..that I haven't experienced to this degree on another kite. This vertical dimension becomes harder to dial in from the 11m up.
Hi Westozzy,

Just out of curiosity- have you ever flown an Epic Screamer? If you ever get a chance do so and let us know what you think in comparison to the Edge.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Maybe I'm more average than you, but the edge for me did ask for a big change in technique in terms of getting the best vertical height. It's the high aspect thing. Speed in the kite is always paramount for any jump but its crucial for the edge especially in the bigger sizes. The 9m is much easier to jump than say the 11 which is much easier than the 13. And yet too much edging races the kite to far forward in the window. It's a delicate balance between speed and line tension. It's not a plug and play kite. the paraglider effect is astonishing on the ascent and descent. So from where I sit I'm not so sure you are right.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 am

Bille wrote:
waynepjh wrote: ...
Here is a video of pascal on my 15 edge 2013 the wind was about 20 mph at bottom of hill and close to 30 mph at the top. ...

http://vimeo.com/m/59350660

Impressive !!

waynepjh --- how much do You weigh , and how much wind do Ya think
you could hold that 15M of yours in , while on a kite board in the water ?

I 'm trying to get a sense of comparison ageist my 2010 13M Edge ; it
starts getting difficult to hold down in about 30mph, and i weigh 200Lb.

Bille
I was wondering if you would be answering that question --waynepjh-- ;
The #'s just sounds a bit high is all & wanna know what i could expect
when i get this kite as well , (which i plan)?

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”