Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Edge 10m & 19m now available

Forum for kitesurfers
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: Ozone Edge 10m & 19m now available

Postby Caesar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 am

Westozzy wrote:
Caesar wrote: Hi Westozzy,

Just out of curiosity- have you ever flown an Epic Screamer? If you ever get a chance do so and let us know what you think in comparison to the Edge.

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Maybe I'm more average than you, but the edge for me did ask for a big change in technique in terms of getting the best vertical height. It's the high aspect thing. Speed in the kite is always paramount for any jump but its crucial for the edge especially in the bigger sizes. The 9m is much easier to jump than say the 11 which is much easier than the 13. And yet too much edging races the kite to far forward in the window. It's a delicate balance between speed and line tension. It's not a plug and play kite. the paraglider effect is astonishing on the ascent and descent. So from where I sit I'm not so sure you are right.
What do you mean with you are not sure I'm right? I suggested to you to give the Screamer a go and to let us know which kite is better for you.
Maybe you wanted to reply to someone else?

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 am

Oh crap picked the wrong quote button sorry I was replying kite heaven dude.

Yes I have been on both the 9m screamer and the 10m ltd. The latter, well lets just say it is a kite you will either love or hate and I an in the latter camp on this one. I'm not here to bash any kite as each to their own, but there were three different guys riding this and the liquid force NRG back to back and the screamer sat on the beach most of the time.

The 9m screamer is a different animal completely. The edge it seems is built for racing and it just so happens it produces a fantastic jumping and free ride kite as a side. Everything is smooth and graceful, yet fast and intense and with all this smooth and refined. it truly is an outstanding wing and the best (for me) i have ever come across. its like they have fused the good points of a ram foil with the good points of an lei, it is truly an outstanding piece of engineering.

The screamer I feel is built to make you scream! It is built to jump! Much easier to edge, send, crank and fly. The lift is extraordinary. This kite is like what others have said...it rips you off the water. It takes much less technique and finesse than the edge, but be careful as you will go big! Hang time is also something special, and with the right technique landing is soft as butter. This kite also relies a lot less on generating controlled speed than the edge.

But everything is more 'harsh'. The bar pressure is higher...well to turn the kite anyhow. It doesn't generate the apparent wind of the edge hence must be actively flown...but it still does generate apparent wind, don't get me wrong, but nothing like the edge.

If you don't believe me, get on the end of an edge just during a launch. Needn't walk down to the water it will drag your ass down there! Every time I launch the edge in it medium to high end per size I always think man maybe I have too much power here. But when you get on the water, all this pull is easily generated into speed and upwind angle and ultimately for me, jumping ability.

The screamer is worth looking into for sure ( as I did) but I cannot past the refined feel of the edge...nothing comes close ...in my humble opinion of course,

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Bille wrote:
Bille wrote:
waynepjh wrote: ...
Here is a video of pascal on my 15 edge 2013 the wind was about 20 mph at bottom of hill and close to 30 mph at the top. ...

http://vimeo.com/m/59350660

Impressive !!

waynepjh --- how much do You weigh , and how much wind do Ya think
you could hold that 15M of yours in , while on a kite board in the water ?

I 'm trying to get a sense of comparison ageist my 2010 13M Edge ; it
starts getting difficult to hold down in about 30mph, and i weigh 200Lb.

Bille
I was wondering if you would be answering that question --waynepjh-- ;
The #'s just sounds a bit high is all & wanna know what i could expect
when i get this kite as well , (which i plan)?

Bille

I am 190 pounds and we are flying at about 8000 feet in elevation where the air is thinner. I can ride my 15 meter in winds up to 30mph. The snow has been really deep so riding with that power is not really a big deal. The 15 gets me out on the water when I dont even think there is enough. Its a great lightwind kite. The 13 meter is only about 5mph behind the 15. last year i was in michigan riding lightwind and i was the only one staying upwind. 15 edge and 139 infra from xenon. There were 5-10 guys out there on huge foils with 40 meter lines and i was flying circles around them. If i was 165 pounds or less I would never need a kite bigger than the 13. This years edges turn fast too! hope that helps billy!

If I make it down to lake mohave this spring I will let you try it!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 am

waynepjh wrote: ...

I am 190 pounds and we are flying at about 8000 feet in elevation where the air is thinner. I can ride my 15 meter in winds up to 30mph.
The 15 gets me out on the water when I dont even think there is enough. Its a great lightwind kite. The 13 meter is only about 5mph behind the 15.

If I make it down to lake mohave this spring I will let you try it!
That's the information i Needed !!
This winter i watched my weight, and i'm near 197Lb now, kinda close to your range ;
and Mohave is at 650Ft elevation or so. That means i don't Really even Need a 19M
Edge for our winds. the 15M will be Perfect for 12 - 25 ; about what i can expect
in any given kite-able day. Right now my go to kite is the 2010 - 13M Edge, good
to comfortably go to 30mph, but we don't get that every day. A bigger board in the light
stuff is more fun ; that's why i tried learning the surfboard last season -- it's good for Both !!

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Westozzy wrote:Oh crap picked the wrong quote button sorry I was replying kite heaven dude.

The real story on the 9m Screamer in bold he didnt know by K2H

The Screamer I feel is built to make you scream! It is built to jump!
Made for intermediate to advanced riders who wanted to go very high and hit freestyle tricks
Much easier to edge, send, crank and fly.
Because in conjuction with a very Talented designer Momi - they understood you dont need to have fast forward speed to create Lift and in the design you dont have to fight to hold a kite on the beach like the Old days - just push the bar out, its called depower...
The lift is extraordinary. This kite is like what others have said...it rips you off the water.
Yes thats because of the huge lift or pressure difference - in wing design at a lower airspeed passing over it, than the Edge. High aspect does not mean high lift - dont confuse the two !
Because its a well designed kite, It takes much less technique and finesse than the edge,
Thats because people got sick of flying 2 liners they had to fight on the beach...
but be careful as you will go big! Hang time is also something special, and with the right technique landing is soft as butter. This kite also relies a lot less on generating controlled speed than the edge.

But everything is more 'harsh'.
Interesting description - I 'd call it direct power you dont have to wait for to build.
The bar pressure is higher...well to turn the kite anyhow.
The bar pressure is medium as far as bar pressure goes, probably your RSI injury - so not a good indication
It doesn't generate the apparent wind of the edge hence must be actively flown...but it still does generate apparent wind, don't get me wrong, but nothing like the edge.
Thats because its a High jump kite and not the 'Epic Racer kite' becoming available.

If you don't believe me, get on the end of an edge just during a launch. Needn't walk down to the water it will drag your ass down there!
Thats the lack of depower in the Edge design rather like the good old short throw C kites but they cleverly designed the depower to come from your board.
Every time I launch the edge in it medium to high end per size I always think man maybe I have too much power here.
Depower again
But when you get on the water, all this pull is easily generated into speed and upwind angle and ultimately for me, jumping ability.
Yes a good floaty jumping kite - best performance is for speed / racing as designed though
The screamer is worth looking into for sure
As a high jump kite as specifically designed...
( as I did) but I cannot go past the refined feel of the edge...nothing comes close ...in my humble opinion of course,
In our Humble Opinions of course
The Edge is a Great Race kite that is slow across the window, compared to others and not a fast turning high jumping kite.
No revelations there.

Still waiting to see them win the Speed records if there that good.

I tried the 7m edge and although going higher than anyone else in 30knots it didnt jump as high or Loop as my 7m allrounder kite - thats not a Screamer either,
Im not sponsored or byast to any brand - If I find one that goes higher and ticks the boxs, Im buying it !!!

For those who think so, that started to cry -

Dont bullshit yourselves that it goes higher than other Specific Jump kites on the market that actually have enough "Refinement" called depower, to stand on the beach at 12oclock in strong winds!!

And just one more thing - if I wanted to get dragged down the beach, Id get back out in 30knots on my old short throw 12m C kites that used the board as depower - yeah a basic skill some of you seem to think special :roll:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:I tried the 7m edge and although going higher than anyone else in 30knots it didnt jump as high or Loop as my 7m allrounder kite - thats not a Screamer either...
So what is your 7m allrounder kite? I'm just curious...
:)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:
The Edge is a Great Race kite that is slow across the window, compared to others and not a fast turning high jumping kite.
No revelations there.

Still waiting to see them win the Speed records if there that good.

I tried the 7m edge and although going higher than anyone else in 30knots it didnt jump as high or Loop as my 7m allrounder kite - thats not a Screamer either,
Im not sponsored or byast to any brand - If I find one that goes higher and ticks the boxs, Im buying it !!!

For those who think so, that started to cry -

Dont bullshit yourselves that it goes higher than other Specific Jump kites on the market that actually have enough "Refinement" called depower, to stand on the beach at 12oclock in strong winds!!

And just one more thing - if I wanted to get dragged down the beach, Id get back out in 30knots on my old short throw 12m C kites that used the board as depower - yeah a basic skill some of you seem to think special :roll:
Ahhh... so your not dialled into the process of jumping the edge in high winds. if your getting dragged to hell downwind then you need to change your technique. You can extract awesome wind range out of the edge simply by controlling board speed. Choke it down with slow board speed..... Then when you see your ramp let it loose and crank at full speed and smash that ramp to bits and boost to the moon. your timing has to be good otherwise yourl go to fast and start loosing load and pop or too slow and not boost high enough.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Plumet - go back and read about short throw C kites dragging you while "standing on the beach".
The rest is basic kite technique you just described - get over it...
Theres also an art to goin fast and big off glass water. Ramps you say, my signature move is the 'slow' laydown backroll 'during' a Megaloop that pulls you downward at the water...
A lot of people can do the same as King of air - its not hard, add a storm or cyclone to it... and we go out with a jelly fishing warping kite just like on the 7m ozone edge did on the Eddie Lansink vid who was lucky to have someone filming him. Lots of kiters go huge in those conditions for fun...

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Somewhere in America, right now, a graduate student is analyzing how many posts it takes for a thread to get off topic.

- Droffats

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards