Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby stringy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 pm

hi paul,
I had the same thoughts and some skepticism on how well this kite would relaunch in water.
the proof will be at the coast when I drop it in the wash zone and see how well it does at relaunch :o
so when I grabbed the gopro, it was really only for a small portion of my session.
I just held the camera by the floaty back door in my mouth.
I should patent that mount! :lol:
anyhow earlier in my session I pearled my board at a high speed and ended up dropping the kite.
I intended on spending a significant amount of time performing a deep water relaunch while bobbing. this is much more challenging than standing in 2 feet of water like in the video. I'll say that it relaunched just as easily as from standing in one spot. the biggest factor other than the shape of the LE, is those wingtip struts. there are pretty large and vertical when the kite is LE down. these act as goal posts and help keep the canopy from sitting in the water. once the wind hits the canopy it opens and fills with wind making relaunch pretty effortless. very impressive relaunch.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Good to hear, thanks for the quick response.

I will have to start saving again :-)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 am

GregK wrote:Paul - watch Stringy solo-launch his cloud closely - I think the key to getting the unsupported canopy in the middle of the kite to fill, to come up off the ground or water surface and dump off any sand ( from a solo-launch ) or water ( water re-launch ) is to pull a steering line to spin the kite around.

Then the wind will catch the under-side of the canopy beside the supported wingtip and then work from that side across to the centre of the kite and on to the other side, filling or tensioning the canopy. From there, with some tension on a steering line, that side of the kite will lift off from the water and the kite pivots and takes off pretty hot - you can see all this happen when Stringy relaunches after releasing the kite to leash.

Granted the above is from an armchair kite pilot, dreaming and scheming a way to get the cash together to acquire a quiver of these very intresting kites....
Self launch / water relaunch is the same as any other kite. I bet reverse launch is possible too.

I don't think it would differ much at all. To have the kite slide minimally put the kite with the side to the wind. Once you walk backwards, it will be ok.

Same things for waves...any kite caught by waves will get worked. Maybe slightly higher chance of contorting the LE, but having seen kites with 7 struts getting bundled up, I am not sure there is that much difference. I was worried on my ride...but that was absolutely not an issue. I guessing it is the same here.

My point is that the discussions we're having now seems similar to the ones we had with the helix where people as recent as a few days ago thought the sigma shape would take off from the beach when the reality is that is behaves similar to any other kite when it comes to sitting on the beach. I am quite confident all these factors have been tested and retested..maybe even more than once ;-)

Nice vid. What do you estimate the wind to be? Looks pretty glassy. (just don't say 2-4 knots :lol: ).

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:04 am

So, how is the upwind on the Cloud?
I read in one of the post that it sits further back in the wind window than what the tester was used to. What does it means for upwind?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:20 am

Wow... mid to upper teens being called marginal... Marginal is average 10 with holes around 7 and gusts at 11... Mid to upper teens is getting fun for almost any kite in the 10-17m range....Thanks for sharing your video and experience with the kite and for reminding me to move to a place more windy.

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10

Postby Michelks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice vid.
I don´t know if this is the right way to evaluate a kite speed, but for me the kite seems slow, it takes 3 to 4 secs to a downloop e 6 to 7 secs to a complete loop.
I compared to a video of mine with a rebel 14 in 13 knots and it takes 2 secs for downloop and 4 secs to a complete kiteloop. I consider the Rebel 14 a slow/ medium speed kite.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Kites turn slower when you ride at them , and in lower wind range...

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

I also think because he let out his bar when he looped it, when I loop my current kite I will usually pull in the bar, in the other vids they turn pretty fast.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 pm

So im looking for a light wind kite but still cant make up my mind on the size.
13 o17?
would like to use this kite in 10 to 16 knots, i have a 12 and a 9 sle for the rest o wind range.
Im155 lbs,6 years riding and have a 135X47 dimitri board for ligth wind.
anyone?

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 am

Windfreak

I've only used my 13m on the snow so far, but at your weight I'm thinking the 13m would suit your needs quite well. A good power producing kite in the winds you are talking about.

Blake

Return to “Kitesurfing”