Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfing with a kitesurf board?

Forum for kitesurfers
pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surfing with a kitesurf board?

Postby pwnd550 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 am

Hello,
I always wondered if it was possible to surf normally with a kitesurf board.
If it is, will it ride the same as a regular surfboard?
If not, why?

I was looking at the 2012 Naish Global, and the board is really nice looking and seems great.

Thanks guys,
Thomas

:bye:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surfing with a kitesurf board?

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:18 am

Possible. For most people though, the kitesurf board is too small, so it is harder to catch waves or maintain peed on weak waves, go out in front of the wave without bogging down, etc. Then again if you are light and have good skills, you can probably surf anything!
I have caught waves on a 6', thin kitesurf board, but not many.
A few more liters volume would help a lot!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 am

BWD wrote:Possible. For most people though, the kitesurf board is too small, so it is harder to catch waves or maintain peed on weak waves, go out in front of the wave without bogging down, etc. Then again if you are light and have good skills, you can probably surf anything!
I have caught waves on a 6', thin kitesurf board, but not many.
A few more liters volume would help a lot!
Ohh I get it, thanks!

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm

I agree with BWD. It is possible, some kite surfboards are designed to be surfed sans kite. I'm an experienced body board but by no means an experienced surfer but I found paddling in Cabrinha to be relatively simple on a decent small wave. I don't know what their volume is. My Firewire Hellfire is 5'6" and 24.5 liters and I haven't tried to just surf it yet, but I'm only 63 kgs and the board planes quickly so I have no doubt I could manage to paddle it in. Any board with more volume will be easier to paddle, probably somewhere between 26-30+ liters if you are heavier than me. It you aren't hitting some heavy waves, or doing airs with the kite, then you could probably get away with using a nice fish board. Super floaty, easy to paddle, probably can be used for kiting too.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 am

For the last two years I have been surfing the Cabrinha skillit 5'10" and have had great sessions with it. Above 6' waves it gets a bit slippery, but anything under that it works just fine.
I weigh 85kgs and the board paddles fine thanks to its width.
It also has the surfboard finish and flexes like any conventional surfboard.
The global being epoxy won't have the same feel as a surfboard but I am sure will fly pretty good too.
nico

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:07 am

Nico wrote:For the last two years I have been surfing the Cabrinha skillit 5'10" and have had great sessions with it. Above 6' waves it gets a bit slippery, but anything under that it works just fine.
I weigh 85kgs and the board paddles fine thanks to its width.
It also has the surfboard finish and flexes like any conventional surfboard.
The global being epoxy won't have the same feel as a surfboard but I am sure will fly pretty good too.
nico
Thanks for the info nico!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 am

A bit off topic maybe...

But I'll still claim that epoxy is way stronger, less dent and ding prone, and lighter boards can be made - so except for the fact that polyester is really cheap and fits the bill of "oldschool" board shapers, there are not any advantages.

AND, the "Myth" (IMO) that it does not flex the same, is bad board design, or some who just makes the boards "the same" as polyester (because they have grown into old habits).
Or some defending why they use this much cheaper and faster method, when hand made - so claiming it has "better" flex will be the perfect way to avoid customers go for other epoxyboards :-?

You can have an epoxy board flex just as much (or little or less) as you want, by making it right IMO :rollgrin:

:D Peter

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

Nico, how wide is the Skillit 5'10?

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am

The simple answer to this question is- yes you can but if you have to ask probably not.

reason being most kitesurf boards are too small for all but good people to surf and good surfers can then feel the difference in flex and weight. production kitesurf boards are simply made too strong and heavy (think warranties) to feel good when surfing. for instance pro surfers won't ride anything more than a single 4oz glass job. if you used one of these boards kiting it probably wouldn't last an hour!
That saying some kite brands are getting close now, with the North pro surfing pretty good in punchy waves and I hear the Cabs feel ok too.
Over the last few years I have been working with my shapers and Inlayz to make surfboards that still feel great to surf but hold up for kiting. we have found a mix between s glass, e glass and inlayz using polyester resin works best. the big difference with polyester compared to epoxy is that it is less brittle and gives a bit. this results in less cracks and dings from knocks on the board although you do get a bit more heel denting after a while. we have combated this by using an Inlayz on the deck with a full length 4oz s glass with a 3/4 e glass on top. this mix gives a dampening effect while maintaining great flex and the Inlayz doubles the strength of the glass without the weight and also gives you a choice of great graphics.
With these boards everyone can have a board they can surf as well as kite. It is better to have it alongside a regular kitesurf board as we do not recommend jumping and most people prefer a slightly bigger board to surf which then works amazing on the kite in good clean waves and lighter winds.
Check the website for the range of boards http://www.jpsurfboards.co.uk all available in kite layup. Highly recommend the S1 & SX for good surfers and the RX for more average surfers. All have been heavily tested on the kite and work amazing. Pick the model for your ability and wave type.
Grab the next issue of Kitesurf Magazine where the board is on test in the mega wave issue.
Heres my 6'0 SX in action.
Follow me on facebook for many more pics and all my news http://www.facebook.com/LeePasty

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm

omg, its 5'10"X20"X2".
I have never had a nose dive on this thing no matter how late the takeoff.
Paddles like a mini mal.
I did put a carbon patch on the front foot area to extend its life span a bit.
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”