2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Live to kite

Postby jbdc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm

I thought this list of the windiest cities in the world might be relevant to this thread.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

jakemoore wrote:I've lived in a lot of places and I have been able to find the positive in all of the places I've lived. I had the right opportunity for work in Corpus Christi and I'm quite happy here both with work, family and kiteboarding. One of the nice things is we have "working man's wind" and in mid summer its light until almost 9 so very easy to get a session after work. There is no doubt the waves will be better in the Pacific or Atlantic coast.

Sure I would love to do Hawaii or San Francisco if it made sense for me financially. They are beautiful places with so much more to offer than just kiteboarding and really incredible opportunities. I lived in the Bay Area for 3 years during middle school and high school. I really liked a lot about the area. Downsides are the traffic, population density, micro-regulations, and cost of living which add up to stress. A girl in my school lost her mother when 880 collapsed in 1989. Can you imagine spending your final moments stuck in traffic? So SFThor next time you are sitting in traffic take a minute to recognize that Texas did not do that to you. You are not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.

California takes 9.3% of your income if you make over $43,000 per year. So SFThor how many airfares to Honolulu is that for you? The fact of the matter is more and more people and companies are leaving California for places like Texas every day and we are welcoming newcomers who want to work hard and make a better life for themselves. Just please leave the unfriendly entitlement attitude behind because its dragging your state down and we don't want you to take the rest of America with you.

Jake
Well Jake, I'm glad that you are happy in Texas. I grew up in DFW so I know what it's like living there. I do not have an "unfriendly entitlement attitude" at all. What did I say I was entitled to? Texas has a good side (no income tax), but it is heavily outweighed by the bad. I watched in horror for years as every last bit of undeveloped land was either flooded for another lake or paved over for another shopping mall or office park. Sure, that's "business friendly" but money means nothing if you have to live in an ugly place with no access to the natural world.

California has a lot of problems. It's too crowded and too expensive, but that's because everyone wants to live here.

The propaganda about jobs leaving CA for TX is just that. It's a bunch of hot air. TX is great for low paying jobs, but Mexico or China are better. Highly educated smart people do not want to move to Texas and won't. They will stay on the coasts to avoid the Creationists, anti science wackos, homophobes, and racists.

That's pretty funny about traffic. Only a Texan would be bragging about how Texas traffic jams are somehow better than California jams. A traffic jam is a traffic jam. At least in California you can split lanes on your motorcycle. You wanna talk earthquakes? Well, what about tornadoes and hurricanes? And floods... boy do I remember those. Some springs half of DFW would be under water and you couldn't get anywhere. Fun times.

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 am

jbdc wrote:I thought this list of the windiest cities in the world might be relevant to this thread.
Nice to see St. John's Newfoundland is No. 3 on this list. We need more kiters to enjoy the non stop wind!

Oh yeah, we also have more bars per capita than any other city in North America. Pretty girls too!

Brad
www.kiteboardingnewfoundland.com

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf

Postby yojimbo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

[quote="jakemoore"]I

California takes 9.3% of your income if you make over $43,000 per year. So SFThor how many airfares to Honolulu is that for you? The fact of the matter is more and more people and companies are leaving California for places like Texas every day and we are welcoming newcomers who want to work hard and make a better life for themselves. Just please leave the unfriendly entitlement attitude behind because its dragging your state down and we don't want you to take the rest of America with you.

Jake

Your post is a testament to how successful the right wing has been in getting their propaganda out. The idea that lowering taxes creates growth is one of their buzz phrases. Tax rates in the U.S. have been dropping since the 50's and are now at historic lows. They were already at historic lows when the economy collapsed in 2007-08. Yet economic growth across the country is anemic.

What then accounts for Texas's growth? Oil revenue and drug money coming from Mexico seeking a safe haven. From U.S.A. Today: "The big drivers of red state income growth: energy and government benefit payments such as food stamps." Oil revenue is a curse, just look around the world to countries that rely on oil revenues and you see countries in turmoil, the same could be said for Texas.

Texas is either #1 or is in the top 5 for the following metrics: Homicides, executions, incarcerations, rates of domestic violence, and abortion rates. Oil money allows Texas to distract people from the severe quality of life issues that plague the state. SFThor brings up some other telling issues as well.

There is hope for Texas though. Texas has been in a severe drought for several years, forcing some municipalities to truck in water. This will force Texans to confront the reality of Global Warming. It also has a very fast growing alternative energy sector. Texas has a fast growing Latino population, who traditionally vote republican, but thanks to Republican vitrol on immigration, and their war on the poor, the state could soon turn blue.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 am

Wow. I'm starting to like Texas more and more.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 am

They will stay on the coasts to avoid the Creationists, anti science wackos, homophobes, and racists.
This is hate speech against Texans and reflects your deep seated prejudices. Your comment should be flagged inappropriate. The fact of the matter is those people who have different beliefs than you and me are everywhere, especially in California.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=proposition+8

Here is a photo of a twinkle truck with testicles to punish you for messing with Texas:

Sorry to hijack your thread Roctor. The photo of Punta Arenas looks compelling. You might ask the guru where to go:

Guru CCTX

Guru SFCA

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

jakemoore wrote:
They will stay on the coasts to avoid the Creationists, anti science wackos, homophobes, and racists.
This is hate speech against Texans and reflects your deep seated prejudices. Your comment should be flagged inappropriate. The fact of the matter is those people who have different beliefs than you and me are everywhere, especially in California.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=proposition+8

Here is a photo of a twinkle truck with testicles to punish you for messing with Texas:

Sorry to hijack your thread Roctor. The photo of Punta Arenas looks compelling. You might ask the guru where to go:

Guru CCTX

Guru SFCA

Lol. No it's interesting to hear different perceptions. Corpus does sound interesting to me as a matter of fact and I definitely will look in to it. Thanks for the wind guru link, it does blow out there doesn't it? ALTHOUGH, I am brown- Just to put things into perspective. Good to know there are cool people like you though.

And I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. The big move is not until next year but its time I start looking. I will keep you all posted.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

rocktor wrote: ALTHOUGH, I am brown- Just to put things into perspective. Good to know there are cool people like you though.

I don't think being brown is going to be a problem in Texas unless you are afraid of blending in too much.

You will probably find Texans to be some of the warmest, friendliest and most sincere people you will run into. And if you like wind and water, it's hard to beat Corpus in the continental US. It doesn't have everything, but it's definitely worth a visit. But you need to be prepared for people smiling and saying hello to you, slowing down to let you pass them on the road and sayin y'all about 1.2 times per sentence.

What kind of work will you be doing?

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm

loco4viento wrote:
rocktor wrote: ALTHOUGH, I am brown- Just to put things into perspective. Good to know there are cool people like you though.

I don't think being brown is going to be a problem in Texas unless you are afraid of blending in too much.

You will probably find Texans to be some of the warmest, friendliest and most sincere people you will run into. And if you like wind and water, it's hard to beat Corpus in the continental US. It doesn't have everything, but it's definitely worth a visit. But you need to be prepared for people smiling and saying hello to you, slowing down to let you pass them on the road and sayin y'all about 1.2 times per sentence.

What kind of work will you be doing?
I blend in alright :lam: and I love the wind and the water :mosh:

Will be graduating from medical residency. Phew! :whenitsdone: Looking for a practice to join. :-D
where I can kite when it's blowing outside. :pirate: :party1:

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Pay a visit to Corpus to check it out. If you really want to maximize your time on the water, especially if you are working full time, you can't beat it here. From March until end of August we get a daily sea breeze that fires up around 3 and will blow until it's dark. I'm not going to join in on the CA. vs. TX argument but from a kiting standpoint, Corpus wins hands down. San Fransisco's season is shorter and it's freezing cold all year. Cost of living is insane so you won't have a lot of free cash to play with. Here you can own a home ON THE WATER for under $500,000. I bought my house for $159,000 and live 10 minutes from the gulf. 5 minutes from 2 really good flatwater spots. The local crew here is extremely friendly and welcoming. We like to organize downwinders when the forecast looks good and generally are laid back. We love long kite sessions with a nice cold one to cap it off.

Return to “Kitesurfing”