Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

POV Video - Deathlooping Kite Drags Rider Into A Rock Jetty

Forum for kitesurfers
PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: POV Video - Deathlooping Kite Drags Rider Into A Rock Je

Postby PAFF » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Nothing wrong whit the kitesurfing or the the gear..

Just erase the people from the sport, then there wont be any accidents. :thumb:

Maybe this guy dont contribute to the statistic onwards, ass he now use the 2 minute time he had to get him self in a safe position.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteCulture » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 pm

What's the YouTube link? I can't view vids from this site on the iPad.
Thanks

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm

KiteCulture wrote:What's the YouTube link? I can't view vids from this site on the iPad.
Thanks
Working fine here Brian.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigPaul » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Good post, made me feel sick knowing he was going to hit.

Going to check my release fully tomorrow. As in pull it and see if it's still working well :D

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm

He did well, guys have been seriously messed up and even killed in such impacts. It all comes down to what part hits and how hard. You never know in advance. Making sure you can always find your quick releases and that they are properly operational is very important. This post goes beyond that however you really need to know your gear and be aware of what it's like in proper configuration. This accident could happen to anyone if they missed the wrap or tangle or didn't know the significance of the problem. Unlike in this case sometimes there's almost no time to analyze think and react. You need to focus on the basics proper pre-flighting and when you And or your kite take a tumble come up expecting problems like this and look for them. Beyond that no one should be trying to figure out this sport out On their own these days you really need good quality pro instruction.

kitelivy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Souris, Pei
Style: whatever

Postby kitelivy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Having crossed my lines and having suffered the results glad to see it ended without broken bones!

My question would be, had he realized the lines tangled around the bar earlier would he have de-powered the kite by reaching up alone the front 2 lines and pulling causing the kite to flag and de-power? I know this is not possible if the kite is looping.

danglemonkey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cornwall, UK
Style: Freestyle, Wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Shinn

Postby danglemonkey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Bearing in mind that a lot of people think/wait too much before pulling releases (especially the leash one) because they dont want to loose the kite... In a situation like this (line wrap causing looping and preventing depower, especially with the beach/rocks downwind) would there be something in pulling both releases whilst the kite was sat in the water not doing much but just holding onto the end of your leash. This would give you time to have a good think about what to do next or wait for help. You wouldn't simply loose the kite, but if it did power up again, it would just get pulled out your hand??

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 pm

To properly flag a kite you need to pull in a length of line equal to about a wingspan width. This isn't usually feasible with a flying kite. You need to understand well how your particular kite system works, depowers both routinely and in an emergency. If your kite is looping out of control, depowering may no longer work. Depowering requires the lines to move freely and the fact that it is looping implies that something may be stopping or impeding that from happening properly. You may be left with setting the kite free to avoid getting dragged.

Sure you could hold on the end of your leash as long as you avoid tangles and ideally you may protect yourself and even your kite. Your point about popping both releases EARLY is worth repeating. Many accident victims simply waited too long to act. I can remember mysteriously loosing a finger nail when a bar got yanked out of my hands at light speed in the early days. The speed and power of a looping kite can be intense so holding on may have its own risks but hopefully lesser ones..

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 am

In this case like i said before... I dont think releasing the QR 1 was the answer.

Watch in the video. from 29 sec to 59 sec is his window to avoid getting yarded, but risks losing kite to rocks.

Here he clearly has time to unhook, and hold CL, pull QR 2 off harness. Now you are totally off kite. Hook back in or try to sort line.(without lease attached) If it loops, it goes BYE BYE. You stay standing were you were safe....

Think fast, act faster. He has 30 secs to act... From my experience that is alot of time. I wasn't able to look at my tangle until i flew 3 kite lengths downwind.

The only thing that stopped this guy was luck..... he was lucky that the bar tangle sorted itself out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”