Forum for kitesurfers
VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strapless foil !

Postby VOMKB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 am

The MHL guys are making some interesting foiboards. Has anybody tried them?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 am

windmaker wrote:Riding strapless is not harder than with straps. The only advantage of straps is they help you keep the board on it's side when waterstarting. Once you are up and going it does not make any difference ..
Yes, I'd definitely recommend straps for learning, but after you have mastered riding a foil, riding strapless is not difficult.. and it is a lot of fun.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 am

I've got an MHL Customs foil, and I love it! I don't think you can go wrong with theirs. I'm starting to get into the waves with it now- strapless of course!

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 am

ChristoffM wrote:I've got an MHL Customs foil, and I love it! I don't think you can go wrong with theirs. I'm starting to get into the waves with it now- strapless of course!
Did you learn on it, or had you already ridden a foilboard before? How does it ride with straps?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:21 am

ChristoffM wrote:I've got an MHL Customs foil, and I love it! I don't think you can go wrong with theirs. I'm starting to get into the waves with it now- strapless of course!
Was it you Christoff, out in front of Dolphins some days, at the end of january ?

Looked good, strapless - took a few pictures from the hotel so quality bad because of a lot of zoom and cropping, but never mind, better than no shots :naughty:
CT20130225.jpg
Capetown 25/2-2013
On the light wind day you just screamed upwind like a rocket !

And you also rode a bit in the waves now and then, we noticed :thumb:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

the most surprising thing to me about riding waves on a foil is that the waves do not really need to be that big. The size is more because you do not want to hit the ocean floor than power. It can go in small swell...

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:30 pm

The risk of injury has got to be less if the foil hits something when strapless.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Thats me yes! And now that I see myself, I better start excercising more! At least I stay within 600km of the coast now that I moved to Cape town so I will get a lot more excercise just by kiting. Amazing how many kiters come to Cape Town in our summer!

I started with strap yes. It makes the getting up out of the water part much easier. But you actually only need one strap for that. I sometimes put just a front strap on, especially when the waves are big and the wind is light. I have had days now that I know the wind is strong enough to go out, but the waves are just too big and I cannot get going before either hitting the shallow sand or getting dunked by a wave.

Regarding wave riding with a foil, I actually only ride the swell most of the time. In the breaking part, there is the danger of hitting the bottom as you say (if the waves are small), or just wiping out in a big wave with a big sharp strange object getting washed around with you. Then of course there is sometimes the problem that the waves are too steep, and I cannot stay on the board, keep my bottom part of the foil underwater and my board out of the water. There is just no space if the wave face is vertical. So riding swell is much safer and easier. And I actually feel more energy from the foil riding swell than I do from a wave when I am on a directional. Plus on swell you have a much longer "wave" to surf, and you can surf any part of it- you don't need a perfect running waves breaking from one side to the other to have a long ride. The whole wave can be breaking all at once and no one else can surf it, but since one can surf the swell on a hydrofoil it gives you so much more "surf" time.

I think the risk of injuries is definitely less strapless. Occasionally one has a weird wipeout when you are glad to be able to avoid the foil and no straps helps. And sometimes you hit kelp or litter and the foil stops instantly and then strapless helps. I do sometimes hit the bottom, but that is only when I know there is only sand, and I am going very, very slowly, so as soon as I hit the bottom I just jump off and no damage is done. The MHL is probably the best foil if you think that you might touch the sand since its lowest part is on the centre fuselage and not the wing.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 pm

"From zero to hero" in full version:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 am

BraCuru wrote:"From zero to hero" in full version:04
Nice! Thanks for the video.

Which foil was this? Was it best to keep just the front strap on when you were starting out? How many days out before you were up and riding?

Return to “Kitesurfing”