Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 am

Poster: vrossi46
very nice to see all these light wind videos from Dimitri and thank you for sharing these videos with us
There will be always someone who disagree ......always happen but i think that is for good reason because without them we will not have all these light wind videos and all these detailed explainesion about kiting in light wind conditions and light wind kite designs.
Hope to see and other kite companies do the same with the same passion of the sport.
I have tested the v2 and the kite is absolutely amazing , v3 should be even better.
Momi for me is the best kite designer
also Dimitri here is better to say ''katalaves blaka, se varethika'' than '' katalaves koukle
George B.
"Popopo megale, afto eitan poly kalo. Milas Helinika vlepo" Now that is what I call a Greek translation.
"Je vois que beaucoup de gens suivent ce poste de très près. C'est très intéressant" Now that's French.
Wait until you see the new video of the INFINITY V3 in action in less then (5 knots) while I was in Naples (Florida). I hope this post won't reach 150 pages. Now that's English for people that don't understand the concept of light wind conditions.

Ok, it's 3:30 in the morning here, time to catch my plane for Anguilla. "Filia s'olous sas".
:bye:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:I
It was a unique day for weather. Sunny but hazy, the gradient on the water was not indicative of what the wind speed actually was. Many kites of similar size could fly that day but those people with those kites did not have a bunch of groupies hanging around hoping to see some magic happen.
:thumb: I approve that it was an UNIQUE day for weather

YES many other LW specific kites could have done the EXACT same thing as shown
Dimitri could have done the same with his experience with ANY other LW kites...i know i could have!!
He is no better kiter than i am IN LIGHT WIND....i repeat LIGHTWIND...LIGHTWIND..LIGHTWIND

He is soooooooo muuuuuuuuch better that me in higher winds...boosting and tricks
He is simply awesome!!!!!!!

That day was unique...magic wind....glass down below...power in kite even at only 8m off the water

Not 2-4kn in the kite that is for sure.........let's just enjoy the beauty of the magic wind
No number needed...let's keep it a mystery....just like the INF V2...V3 m2 sizes :wink: :D :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I was playing around with some lift equations and models, and just looking at the numbers, I think it's theoretically possible to keep a kite in the air at 2 or 3 knots, what will have to happen is instead of flying at the edge of the wind window it has to fall back deeper to generate more lift than a typical kite and not stall. It does look like this is what the kite does. The trick in designing a kite like this is to make sure that it doesn't suffer in other ways for this particular trick for instance, that you don't degrade upwind performance. It's a nice trick to get a kite to do this, but it is still just a trick. I don't think it tells you anything about the performance characteristics of the kite in light wind we are willing to fly in (6 knots +). You will still want to demo the kite in 6 knots to see if it's the lite wind kite for you.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote: Personally I like your kites, I just don't like the approach as much.
Well how do you like the op's approach? You know... bashing a kite/brand without even trying it? It's not like he's a cash paying 9 to 5'er who bought the kite and found it to be a huge disappointment or something like that. The op refuses to try the kite. What kind of approach is that?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote: It was a unique day for weather.
What he is saying is very important.......UNIQUE
But then you ask yourself what does he mean?

Well for one thing all of you out there have not discovered the common denominator...yet

You are talking about speed of wind...water level..hand level...kite level...building level

There is one thing i am surprised you haven't seen from those unique days...please look again

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER...(for the northern hemisphere in the case of the videos)

The answer can be only concluded after years and years and years...
...of observation and riding extensively in UNIQUE :wink: conditions

Like i have done....glassy water...3kn avg. perceived all around me...windmeters...trees...flags...etc

DIRECTION THE WIND IS COMING FROM is from the SOUTH
It can be from S 180 to S 190 to SSW 200.........or S 170 to SSE160

Relatively warmer southerly wind "hovers" just a few meters over the cooler glassy water surface
That is just the unique nature of that wind direction

The most EXTREME UNIQUE example is to get a couple of days of ocean upwelling in summer
Upwelling ALWAYS occurs with a persistent LIGHT SOUTH wind
The ocean temperature drops from 80 to 65F...but the LIGHT SOUTH wind remains for riding
The wind becomes very dense over the cold ocean and we get...magic surreal powerful wind :D

You will have 3kn on the beach over the scorching hot sand and 12 kn of wind power when riding...
...... over the totally seemingly zero wind "freezing summer water"

............................... :surf: :sun: ...........................................................................................................
Last edited by SupaEZ on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 am

Has anyone else noticed that Epic no longer appears to be advertising on kiteforum.com ? Seems strange, was once so prolific. Wonder if it's an attempt to censor this thread?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 am

Censor the thread, lol
You guys are doing the best job ever of keeping Epic in the news!!
Epic has never advertised continually on KF as far as I'm aware.

So SupaEZ are you saying that it is possible to fly the kite if its 3knots on the beach with a hand held wind metre?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am

:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 am

I'm guessing Dimitri prob cancelled the adverts as he doesn't need them at the moment 'cos SupaEgo and pmu are doing such a great job!
:thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 am

My dear SupaEZ, I did test the INFINITY V2 in 2 to 4 knots and I was having a hard time keeping it in the air. It stayed in the air for maybe 10 to 12 minutes but had to fight for it and then it finally felt on the water while I was on the SUP board and I had to swim back home.
So that INFINITY V3 has something very special about it in very very light see breeze. I have not tried your CORE 19 or 20 meter kite in 2 to 4 knots on an SUP board but maybe you should try it and post a video like I did with the INFINITY V3.
But again who wants to kite in 2 to 4 knots on an SUP board.... Not too many people. It is not that much fun.

Mr. Pumpy, the reason I don't advertise for the month of February and March is because it is a slow month. We are very careful with our budget and how we need to spend it. But don't worry will be back up on the KITEFORUM starting in April, May, June, July then stop and again start in October, November, December, January. So right now we are coming up with some new EPIC ads.
Once again "Koukle" let me know if I can help you with any thing else.
:allbegood:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”