Forum for kitesurfers
kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Bar Q

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Cab bar (~$500) for use with my 2011 13M Xbow. My kite is still in great condition, I hate the bar.

I can get a 2012 bar for almost half the price.

Any opinions?
Is the 2013 bar vastly different?

Thanks in advance..

KG

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Re: Cabrinha Bar Q

Postby Flight Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 pm

kitegrommet wrote:I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Cab bar (~$500) for use with my 2011 13M Xbow. My kite is still in great condition, I hate the bar.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance..

KG
What are the things that bug you about the 2011 bar? With that in mind, maybe one of us can contrast that with what's changed on the newer bars.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 pm

KG,
The new 2013 Cabrinha IDS bar is nice step up from the 2012. Improvements/changes are:
-kite lines are stiffer which makes setup time faster.
- new trim strap adjusters are make adjusting easier as they are easier to grab
- QR1 system is pretty much the same but with a new added feature making the resetting of qr1 easier.

2012/2013 vs 2011
I think the 2012/13 bar is a nice upgrade from the 2011.
-Unhooking and rehooking in, is so much better on the new models.
- resetting the qr1 on the 2011 bar is much easier on and off the water. With some basic practice retting the qr1 on the new model 2012/13 is very easy when on land.
- manual untwisting of lines on the 2012/13 model is a great feature for anyone that loops their kite or does spinning tricking where the center lines become twisted. The 2011 does not have this feature.
QR2 release on the 2012/13 bar is so much safer and better IMO. Not a fan of velcro seen on the 2011 chicken loop.

Every year the Cabrinha bar just gets better and better as expected.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Flight Time wrote:
kitegrommet wrote:I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Cab bar (~$500) for use with my 2011 13M Xbow. My kite is still in great condition, I hate the bar.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance..

KG
What are the things that bug you about the 2011 bar? With that in mind, maybe one of us can contrast that with what's changed on the newer bars.

-ve: Looks like the primary QR is still significantly more difficult to restore especially in deep water
+ve: The line quality (waxed?) seems on-par with some of the best (was hoping someone would provide a review on their lines from actual usage).

My 2012 lines are significantly worn out and I take good care of them, don't leave them wet or salted, just waiting for a line break any day now. Actually the de-power rope broke under high winds. Session count at 60 or so. I think the quality is unacceptably low. Anybody else getting this? You decide.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm

what somebody wants in a bar can vary a lot from person to person. these days it is fairly easy to pick up some parts and build your own "perfect" bar that works well for you and is safe with whatever kite you have. not hard, just pay attention to the safety set-up for the kite itself and use whatever you want.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Im with Knotwindy... Much better to build your own bar for your style of riding than pay $500+ for a bar complete that costs 50 to 75$ from the factory...

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 am

I agree with the two posters above. One question I have though, why do you hate the 2011 bar?

With the 2012 an 2013 bar, you are riding suicide, meaning your IDS line will not engage if you unhook and drop the bar. Also if you forgot to place your keeper tube in the spreader bar, and slacked your lines on a jump and accidentally unhooked at landing, you could be in for a surprise or some trouble.

Personally I like bits and pieces from each of the past several years but I think one of the best improvements is pretty minor. I have not physically used the the new bar but the trim strap handles are more user friendly. I'm sure you'll still have to cut about 3.5 inches off the spring to optimize relaunch on the bigger kites.

simeonn
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Mangroovy Beach El Gouna, Keros Beach Limnos
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby simeonn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 am

If I were you I would stay with the 2011, not that it is better, but don't believe in this kind of changes/modifications. I've tried all the bars that you mentioned and now have the chaos with the 2013 bar, but would suggest you stay with your bar. If you still want a new one, then go for the 2013 bar and not for the 2012.

Return to “Kitesurfing”