Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Exploring the Gros Ventre Mountains by Antoinette Peak

Forum for snow- and landkiters
knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Exploring the Gros Ventre Mountains by Antoinette Peak

Postby knewschool » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Wayne and I went on a big adventure exploring kite terrain this weekend. It’s one of those amazing places where the approach is as memorable as the goal.

We had to sled 10 miles up Granite Creek where we left our sleds and started skinning. We skinned 4 miles and 4,000feet/1,200meters up to dip over the back and reveal the terrain we’ve been wondering about for years. The skin and route finding was as adventurous as the kiting itself. There was true avy danger and many tricky parts. Wayne kept on route perfectly all the way and we only really had to pass a couple of questionable spots. Our camp was in this beautiful valley at 9,500’, our late start didn’t quite get us to camp at the kiting.

It was amazing terrain available for anything you are comfortable with plus some. Kiting around was awesome with good cold snow everywhere. We weren’t really prepared to fly, or climb the super steeps on this trip. I felt lucky to make it alive in the first place. As much as this was a difficult approach, the experience all around made it one of my favorite trips.

Skiing down from the top was an adventure all its own and we had a time crunch to ski out with warm snow at the bottom from this recent warm spell. Skiing down with a full mountain pack really burns the legs, and our 4,000 foot decent encountered nearly every snow condition there is. Anyways, I did haul my camera all the way up there, so here are some pictures of the adventure. We'll be back here again!

Cheers,
Will Taggart
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Exploring the Gros Ventre Mountains by Antoinette Peak

Postby Noahpz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Looks like you cleaned out the cobwebs and got the blood flowing on that trip! Nice photos thanks for posting.

Return to “Snow / Land”