Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2012 Ozone Frenzy Review - Big Horn Mtns Wyoming

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

2012 Ozone Frenzy Review - Big Horn Mtns Wyoming

Postby Noahpz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm

If you have flown last year’s Ozone Frenzy you may have learned this kite was a dramatic improvement from Ozone’s past flagship kites. It was fast, powerful, precise and (best of all) super-stable. The 2011 Frenzy’s stability was a direct result of the addition of the “link line” which unified the wind’s shape. I found the kite to be so rock solid that I was pulling freestyle tricks that I would have never attempted in the past. I could whip this kite from one side of the window to the other without a hint of instability. The downside of the link line was when one needed to land the kite in nuking winds. In these high wind situations the kite was reluctant to flag out and held its shape too well! A tradeoff I suppose. Now, however, that is all in the past.

For 2012, the Frenzy has retained all the great flight characteristics I like plus the addition of numerous SAFETY features. Number one is the addition of a fifth line flag out system that totally kills the power of the kite in high wind situations. Last week in the Big Horns Mountains of Wyoming I had three days of 7 and 9m conditions that allowed me to test the 5th line in strong winds. It performed flawlessly. Whether I purposefully unhooked and deployed the 5th line or released the Megatron chicken loop under extremely heavy load, the 5th line instantly flagged the kite, immediately eliminating any pull from the kite. “Safe, safe, safe” is what I kept thinking. Reloading the bar after releasing to the 5th line was usually as simple as walking up to the bar and hooking in again. Only once, releasing to the 5th line during a severe 40mph+ gust with the 9m, was the bridle snarled and needed to be straightened out back at the lodge.

Of course, in less nuclear winds, I find the brake handle safety to be my primary means of landing my Frenzy. Having two independent safety systems to use, depending upon skill level and conditions is ideal. It’s my choice: I can clip my leash to the suicide ring on the Megatron or clip into the 5th line flag out safety.

Looping the kite (or spinning underneath it) with the leash attached to the 5th line was surprisingly tangle free. The Megatron usually cleared the 5th line wraps in a few moments and it was never an issue. Obviously, if you clip into the suicide ring there are no wraps from spinning and looping.

Another safe and sound improvement was the elimination of the top hat front line release. With the addition of the 5th line, the top hat was unnecessary. So, no more inadvertent top hat releases! Safe!

For riders with short arms, smaller women, and children they will all benefit from the fact that the front line adjustment cleat is directly above the bar. It is more easily accessible than ever before. Safe again.

Most pilots would never notice but I detected some very subtle differences from last year’s Frenzy in my 3 days in the Big Horns. In the sky, the kite appears to be more precisely trimmed. Very small differences in the trailing edge creases were noticed over the 2011 Frenzy. The 2012 Frenzy appeared a notch more finely tuned. When sheeting in, the trailing edge crease was more crisp and precise. This refinement was apparent across all the kites I flew: the 7, 9 and my couple sessions on the 11m.

There is a wonderful feeling that comes from unrolling a new kite and launching it skyward. One expects a new kite to fly perfectly right out of the bag. The Frenzy does that. It should be safe, stable, and fun to fly. With the 2012 Frenzy I knew that would be the case and it was. For riders who want to progress and push their skills to the next level (and beyond) the Frenzy will deliver. Best of all it will do so safely and with loads of potential.

Thanks for reading and see ya out there,

Noah
Attachments
Cuttin-Up-The-Pow.jpg
Bald-Mtn-Ball-Room.jpg
Sunshine-&-Powder.jpg
Ripping-Wind.jpg
Day's-End.jpg
Simple-Clean-and-Safe!.jpg

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2012 Ozone Frenzy Review - Big Horn Mtns Wyoming

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Nice review. I've been waiting from ozone to do something about the safety for 6 years!... good stuff. but i still prefer my mantas.... ahhhh.... might be a while before i relent and step back into a frenzy.

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wadoepotatoe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 pm

i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to mod a flag out line to the pre-2012 frenzys. has anybody attempted this yet?

-wade.

snowflick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: No beach, only lakes ! Lac maskinongé St-gabriel-de- brandon
Style: beginner
Gear: Ozone access 6m
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowflick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Every one says last year frenzy was stable, but when I tested a 9m during one week I felt like the kite was VERY unstable at the edges of the wind window. Making impossible to park the kite in the air while talking to someone. Many times the kite reached the edge of the wind window, collapsed, and reached the power zone. I did not fell that it was very safe for this reason. Is that improved in 2012 ??

I am used to 2010 6m access and manta m3 10m.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Noahpz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 am

A year ago I wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367901&hilit=2011+frenzy

and I feel this year's kite has just as much stability, maybe a notch more. I love the m3 too, just not as stable.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm

So I'm a tube kiter who just got a 2012 frenzy 11m for cold/backcountry. I like the compactness, light weight, and durability. The backpack is sweet for backcountry riding! But I need advice from you Ozone foil pros...
1. I agree with snowflick. The frenzy seems to collapse a lot at the edge of the window, fold, roll back, and bow-tie. Happens while riding down-slope/up-wind and during funky lulls with direction shifts. I get collapses landing jumps.
2. Also, in junky winds, while the kite is sitting on the ground braked, if there is a direction shift, the kite will fold over and bridle tangle. So I wrap up the lines (with rear-line brake on), bring the kite to me,sort, pre-tension, and wind lines back out as I slide downhill, re-launch. This all happens in bottomless pow, so walking to the kite isn't an option. How do I avoid the taco in the first place?
3. I seem to occasionally wrap the 5th line. Sometimes during lines-on rollout. Sometimes after sorting out a tangle. I think I just want to ditch the whole 5th line and go with brake-only safety. Is less more?
So far, I'd be saving riding time if I'd just haul my pump uphill and use my trusty tubes...
Advice?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Nothin but crickets...

I had to eat my words regarding the 5th line, while kiting in the alpine on Red Mountain Pass. Got nailed by a big gust, a little loft, then snap went my well-used Franken-bar depower line. The 5th line was the only thing keep the Frenzy from heading to Lake City. I'm learning to keep the foil a little higher than a tube kite which seems to at least let the kite fall into a better re-power position. Any other ideas? One more issue: I can't seem to re-direct the kite like I'm used to in order to pull me out of backrolls. All advice welcome, cheers.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Noahpz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:31 am

Back rolls: After I send it, I keep forward pressure on the bar all the way through the roll. If it is a big, slow floaty roll, I will stall the kite over head with a bit of back hand pressure before I redirect with the front hand.

Overall flying the kite: As with all my foil kites, I fly them powered. I am notorious for flying my foils aggressively and in the power zone. They fly better and I rarely ever have issues. I learned that style watching the Norwegians and Chasta.

Thanks for asking and have fun out there!

Noah

Return to “Snow / Land”