Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Back roll with loop?

Postby rightguard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 am

I don't know what it's called but I'm trying to do a back roll while back looping the kite. Sometimes I get it and everything works fine. Although most of the time I come in supper hot and crash hard.

What am I doing wrong? Seems like I'm not pulling the loop hard enough or long enough. If I pull hard enough it should come all the way around and catch my landing right?

Any other advice?

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Re: Back roll with loop?

Postby flybykite » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 am

You need to pull the trigger on the kiteloop before the kite reaches 12 or at 12 exactly and really crank it if you want a small loop without all the power. Keep it cranked until it reaches 12 again and youve got a soft landing. If you wait till it passes 12 and pull the trigger then it loops inside the window giving you lots of power.

called: Back roll with a kite loop

Also, to loop the kite quickly, you will need line tention. You have the most tention on your way up after the pop or at the apex of the jump and also just after the apex coming down. On the way down you will have even less power. Make sure you feel the line tention before going for a loop. I do the backroll with the kite at 11 still going toward 12, as soon as I start the roll I pull hard with the back hand and plan to land in a downwind direction.
Good luck, be safe

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:03 am

Start learning this move by keeping your rotation (your body) fairly low. Slowly bring the kite over head (with line tension as mentioned) and rotate keeping the kite moving through 12, then as you are half way around, really yank hard so the loop drags your body through the rotation.

Even try putting one hand in the water as kind of like a pivot point.

The kite movement needs to be consistent and smooth through 11, 12 then yank hard. Do it all in one movement. Then increase your height of rotation...I do it with an 11m edge, which is not the best looping kite for this purpose, so have had to learn how to get the timing right.

A quicker C kite would make this easier to zing it through the loop and give you more margin for error. What kite you using?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 am

Start learning this move by keeping your rotation (your body) fairly low. Slowly bring the kite over head (with line tension as mentioned) and rotate keeping the kite moving through 12, then as you are half way around, really yank hard so the loop drags your body through the rotation.

Even try putting one hand in the water as kind of like a pivot point.

The kite movement needs to be consistent and smooth through 11, 12 then yank hard. Do it all in one movement. Then increase your height of rotation...I do it with an 11m edge, which is not the best looping kite for this purpose, so have had to learn how to get the timing right.

A quicker C kite would make this easier to zing it through the loop and give you more margin for error. What kite you using? Oh yeh land runnind dead downwind as well.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:47 am

I'm on bolts... I'm having a harder time if I don't pop into the rotation but then I'm much higher.

I've always thought if I loop later it will be a softer pull but is that wrong?

If I pull hard can I over loop back into power or is that hard to do?

I think I'm chickening out and trying to come out of the loop too soon, which gives me a lot of pull downwind. I was watching a guy do this today and he would end his rotation and loop high and just hang there for style. It's always hard to figure out what people are doing when I watch as it happens too fast.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 am

Hey Rightguard,
Obviously make sure the kites tuned properly for looping and as for the rest ...
You answered your own question by saying "seems like im not pulling hard enough"
Every time you dont fish pole stule that bar until its right round - you get spanked huh :)
For big air, do it all the same but waiting till your higher and keep the backroll very very slow... Its easier to pull yourself around that last bit - rather than over rotate into a Meteorite spanking :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 am

The more movement in the kite as you rotate the quicker it will loop, the less time spent slowly moving through the power zone.

The looping kite actually drags your body around..pretend your body is an anchor of sorts, your weight pulling against the kites looping pull. Yep you can loop after the rotation I suppose but is that really a backroll kite(back)loop or a backroll followed a backloop.

Doing it all in one, which much less severe. So try and pop when kite is more like 11, popping against a moving kite, as you are rotating, the kite is moving near 12, then half way around drop your front hand a crank...the back loop will pull your body through it rotation and then drag you downwind for your landing.

Also agree with K2H, going big, go real slow on the rotation.

This neednt be learnt hard and fast, in-fact if you backloop and only get three quarters around, just face your head downwind and you will body drag for a bit until the power dissapates...can be done quite smoothly and slowly to start then ramp up the agression, speed and height if that suites your disposition.

What I mean it you don't have to 'go for broke' unlike if you are learning to kiteloop (not a down, back or heli..a proper kiteloop) properly...that's all or nothing.
Last edited by Westozzy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 am

Tell me more, what is tuned correctly?

So does everyone fish pole the bar... If so I'm not pulling enough. Do you fish pole from the beginning or after it starts to pull?

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 am

... And make sure you dont backstall the kite off the bottom of the loop - if you see this, just push the bar out a few inches and then pull it back in as your half way under...

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 am

Havent flown a bolt so not sure about turn speed. Some kites that are very fast turning - you can steer around, depending on height.
But if not, the fish pole style it will have to be !!
Set your kite up on the beach to fly behind you as far as possible with good shape - if the kites a bit slow, set maybe an extra inch or two tighter on the back lines (experiment etc) and remember to push the bar out... Off the bottom of the loop or suffer lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”