Forum for kitesurfers
tish
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to choose your first kiteboard

Postby tish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Great article and something I've been searching for. Thanks for getting this started!

In addition to the basic size requirements - there are a lot of other factors in board shape, rocker, flexibility and other characteristics that affect how a board rides/feels in certain conditions.

I would very, very, very much appreciate a breakdown of what board characteristic equates to for on-the-water feel.
For example, what do the following features equate to when riding:
* Rocker - More = cuts thru chop? better carving turns? better for rails?; Less = better upwind?, faster?
* Stiffness - ?
* Weight - ?
* Outline - ?
* Channels - Adds additional rocker to the tip? Give more rigidity to the tip? helps upwind ability?
* Concave(s) - ?

If you incorporated the above into some sort document it would be very beneficial to the noobs (like me) who are looking to buy a board and reading reviews and product descriptions.

In addition to describing the above...
It would ideal if you or someone would could provide specs for stiffness and rocker in addition to the normal specs for size (width at end, middle and length) & weight.
For stiffness - place the board in a bracket holding one end and over the strap/boot position and measure the force to deflect the other end a fixed amount.
For rocker - place the board on a flat surface. List the length of flat in the middle and the height of the end.

This would be hugely beneficial when shopping for a board. Describing a product as "it's stiffer than x board", "has more pop" or "designed for the PKRA rider" really doesn't tell the consumer much as to how this board is going to behave.

TheXwarrior
Rare Poster

Postby TheXwarrior » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

Great information guys. I think that good enough. I remember my first day. :D

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.

Postby timothymcmackin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 am

polarstorm wrote:
imho, the way you've broken down the offerings will not help a beginner discern what they need, the only real consideration for a true beginner is that the board be weight proportional (e.g. be able to carry the kiter for a correct rigging).. it should really be further simplified for 14-20kn conditions, outside of this window you're just talking danger and frustration.. in other words one basic choice.. other than that the advice from the last poster is true (what I would do, if I were doing it all over again).
Yeah, I may have jumped the gun asking for more detail about things like rocker. Another way to approach this (again, noob here just throwing out examples) is to say "for your first board, don't sweat the rocker or flex; just get a board that is the right size for your weight and has X and Y other characteristics." It's up to you pros whether it's worth it for beginners to look into the details.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:22 pm

timothymcmackin wrote:
polarstorm wrote:
imho, the way you've broken down the offerings will not help a beginner discern what they need, the only real consideration for a true beginner is that the board be weight proportional (e.g. be able to carry the kiter for a correct rigging).. it should really be further simplified for 14-20kn conditions, outside of this window you're just talking danger and frustration.. in other words one basic choice.. other than that the advice from the last poster is true (what I would do, if I were doing it all over again).
Yeah, I may have jumped the gun asking for more detail about things like rocker. Another way to approach this (again, noob here just throwing out examples) is to say "for your first board, don't sweat the rocker or flex; just get a board that is the right size for your weight and has X and Y other characteristics." It's up to you pros whether it's worth it for beginners to look into the details.
Timothy don't get me wrong I think the quality of your write up is excellent, just the approach, for a beginner they might be walking away with more questions.. they also need to understand their typical spots.. I've never seen any coverage in this regard.. its kind of like handing over a manual stick shift to someone who is learning how to drive. My 2 obsolete canadian pennies.

pjhardie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Slick, Cape Hatteras, NC.
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: REAL Watersports Inc. - Rider and Employee.

Postby pjhardie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:39 pm

timothymcmackin wrote: Yeah, I may have jumped the gun asking for more detail about things like rocker. Another way to approach this (again, noob here just throwing out examples) is to say "for your first board, don't sweat the rocker or flex; just get a board that is the right size for your weight and has X and Y other characteristics." It's up to you pros whether it's worth it for beginners to look into the details.
Great point timothy - keeping it simple to start with definitely helps.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm

polarstorm wrote:.. its kind of like handing over a manual stick shift to someone who is learning how to drive.
which is what actually happen in this side of the globe :D

but do agree with your point - keep it simple and stupid.

for what it is that doc is overkilling imho

tish
Rare Poster

Postby tish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 am

Props to Naish for detailing almost everything I was looking for in order to compare multiple boards to each other. Hopefully other mfrs will take their lead and follow suit. Retailers need to post these specs with the Naish boards in their online stores!
http://2013-mid-season.catalogs.naishkites.com/#page/28

tish wrote:Great article and something I've been searching for. Thanks for getting this started!

In addition to the basic size requirements - there are a lot of other factors in board shape, rocker, flexibility and other characteristics that affect how a board rides/feels in certain conditions.

I would very, very, very much appreciate a breakdown of what board characteristic equates to for on-the-water feel.
For example, what do the following features equate to when riding:
* Rocker - More = cuts thru chop? better carving turns? better for rails?; Less = better upwind?, faster?
* Stiffness - ?
* Weight - ?
* Outline - ?
* Channels - Adds additional rocker to the tip? Give more rigidity to the tip? helps upwind ability?
* Concave(s) - ?

If you incorporated the above into some sort document it would be very beneficial to the noobs (like me) who are looking to buy a board and reading reviews and product descriptions.

In addition to describing the above...
It would ideal if you or someone would could provide specs for stiffness and rocker in addition to the normal specs for size (width at end, middle and length) & weight.
For stiffness - place the board in a bracket holding one end and over the strap/boot position and measure the force to deflect the other end a fixed amount.
For rocker - place the board on a flat surface. List the length of flat in the middle and the height of the end.

This would be hugely beneficial when shopping for a board. Describing a product as "it's stiffer than x board", "has more pop" or "designed for the PKRA rider" really doesn't tell the consumer much as to how this board is going to behave.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

timothymcmackin wrote:I'm in the target audience for this article (new kiteboarder looking for my first twintip), and this is a nice little overview. A few suggestions:

Just a Tad-bit Off-Topic here
But

I'm gonna suggest that as Soon as you feel comfortable riding
your TT of choice :
LEARN to ride a SURFBOARD as Soon as Possible !!

I Really regret Not doing that ; as a result it took me
a few months to get to where it was Really Fun to ride one.
Still got a ways to go, but Like it a LOT !!

The surfboard , (Strapped or Unstrapped) is a bit like a Different sport
in some ways.

Bille

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.

Postby timothymcmackin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Bille wrote: LEARN to ride a SURFBOARD as Soon as Possible !!
Bille, I've been tempted by surfboards. Unfortunately the main places I plan to kite are not great wave-surfing spots. However, it looks like fun to carve around with a directional board, and as you say it looks like a different set of skills are used. It's on my list. One problem is that I'm not sure if I could fit a 6'ish surfboard in my little car. :-)

I'm headed to Fort Fisher, NC this weekend for a refresher lesson, to meet the local folks, and (hopefully) to test-drive some boards. Wish me luck!

-Tim

Return to “Kitesurfing”