Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Laguna Mar Margarita ??

Postby DenisLaMenace » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Planning a week of vacation end of March and Margarita wind stats are just appealing.

I have seen the Laguna Mar resort which seems to be very good for the family with the water slide and pool for the kids. The all inclusive price (from Canada) is also very attractive. Hope the food is not too bad ?

Just wonder if anyone knows if kiting next to the resort beach is possible. Using google maps shows a nice beach but I wonder about reefs, rocks ?? I can ride waves, but is it just gonna very choppy water ?

http://goo.gl/maps/sSRJc

I dont want to have to travel on the island with family and quit the resort.

Thanks in advance

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Laguna Mar Margarita ??

Postby southflorida » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm

The best indicator for the prevailing wind direction in this case is the local airport runway orientation, which points 78 degrees. That gives you a direct on-shore ENE trade wind at that location. It is one of the better times of the year for the trades at that latitude.

The lagoon looks appealing for flat water kiting, but you best call first and see if kiting is allowed in it.

You'll have waves breaking directly on-shore at the beach. Most of those beaches along the NE coast are deep. Of course, you might have some shallow flatter water after the main wave break where you can kite directly parallel to shore, which would give you long runs. And swimmers to dodge?

(the tree in my avatar was blown into that shape by those same trades winds)

Return to “Kitesurfing”