Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 Ocean Rodeo bar hard on the hands?

Forum for kitesurfers
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2013 Ocean Rodeo bar hard on the hands?

Postby Windrider » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 am

I have a 2013 FreeRide bar that I use with my 2013 12m Razor. (Excellent kite BTW). I’ve used it 3 times so far. I’m losing all the skin on my fingers when using the bar. I have kited for over 6 years and use other manufacturers’ bars without having this problem. Is there some sort of new neoprene or glue that is being used on the 2013 OR bar that is hard on the skin of your hands? It’s really odd. I have almost no fingerprints at this point. It’s only occurring where my hands/fingers contact the bar.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: 2013 Ocean Rodeo bar hard on the hands?

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am

Na, I probably had one of the first bars out, and probably have 30 sessions or so on it and had no problems. I didn't like it at first glance, mainly because of the hard plastic ends, but it's been really comfy with the hand contours, and the depower line appears to be wearing much better than the previous models.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:35 am

I like the ultra amount of depower on it. The below bar depower takes getting used to. I prefer above bar, but they were out when I bought. The super long throw makes up for it. The bar ends are kind of junk because they don't have enough of a lip to hold your lines down around the ends when you wrap up your lines. Everything on the bar is either good or "liveable", but the grip (either neoprene or glue) is stripping my skin faster than it grows back. That sucks. I'll have to buy full-fingered gloves to keep using the bar at this point. I normally use half-fingered gloves to handle line issues on the water. Shifting to full fingered will be a bit of a drag, but doable. Don't think that I can develop callouses enough to withstand the wear. Already have dumbbell callouses from exercises. But they don't cover my fingertips.

The Razor12m is a major winner. Love the kite so far. If you can arrange for a test ride, go for it. My biggest single impression of it so far is "smooth". Super comfortable high end. I still haven't tried the other settings for the line hookups other than factory out-of-the-bag. Wind's going through a bit of a slump right now.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am

Maybe ask you beautician for advice next time you are having your manicure.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 am

Couldn't be the finger ridges, could it? I haven't used a bar with them yet but I'm not sure I like the idea :) none of the Ozone boys complain though...

schnauzerfan
Rare Poster

Postby schnauzerfan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 am

Tennis racquet grip tape - wrap tightly and finish the ends with waterproof electrical tape.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Windrider wrote:The Razor12m is a major winner. Love the kite so far. If you can arrange for a test ride, go for it. My biggest single impression of it so far is "smooth". Super comfortable high end. I still haven't tried the other settings for the line hookups other than factory out-of-the-bag. Wind's going through a bit of a slump right now.
Drop sales@oceanrodeo.com an email with a photo of your bar so we can be sure we know exactly what model of bar you're using and get back to you... so far, no other reports of this happening to other riders so I am optimistic we can sort something out for you!

Glad you're stoked on the Razor 12 though! We are incredibly stoked with the performance of the Razor line up this year!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks ORSales for chiming in. I'll send a photo.

And thanks schnauzerfan for the idea of tennis tape as a last resort. Is it waterproof enough to withstand the rigors of seawater kiting?

Kamikuza: Could be the finger ridges.,.. The bars I've been using for the past 5 years didn't have the finger ridges.... maybe my fingertips are grabbing on the peaks of the ridges instead of the valleys? I'll try focus on "fingers-between-the-ridges" hand placement next time.... if the friggin' wind comes back...

... and my manicurist says she thinks I have beautiful hands.

Return to “Kitesurfing”