Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Re: Epic screamer questions

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 am

Yeah i agree on that part. Personally i'm not a fan of the 10m kites. Took me a long time to get used to them and now i really like the kite (hooked in btw). But the 9m was an instant love thing. The kite feels better in my opinion.

But i still love the 12m which i almost always ride. from 14 knots to 30 knots.

romkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby romkite » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 am

Geronimo79 wrote:But i still love the 12m which i almost always ride. from 14 knots to 30 knots.

I know I should not look at epic threads but I can't help it. 12m in 30 kts ? come on, how many times have I had to explain to beginners not launch their enormous kites when wind was f..ing too strong ! Man, you are brand affiliated, at least you should be responsible.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: |

Postby L0KI » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 am

Do you know his weight?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am

romkite wrote:
Geronimo79 wrote:But i still love the 12m which i almost always ride. from 14 knots to 30 knots.

I know I should not look at epic threads but I can't help it. 12m in 30 kts ? come on, how many times have I had to explain to beginners not launch their enormous kites when wind was f..ing too strong ! Man, you are brand affiliated, at least you should be responsible.

LOL...ask Geronimo about his weight first. :wink:
Nothing wrong with that.

I'm only 68Kg and kite the 10m up to 28knots and then the 9m kicks in. Those are the only 2 kites I use (I still have 7m and 8m Switchblades but they are used by my lady).
Do you know Jeremy Clarkson? POWERRRRRRR
:D

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 am

@ Romkite
Being 110/115kg :o helps alot with highend. :rollgrin: :thumb:
I love overpowered riding and i'm basicly more used to big kites. Before the epic kites i only had a 13m Waroo i rode it overpowered aswell. These days i have more kites to pick from but still most i ride my 12m and i love 25/27 knots with that kite. More it gets a bit heavy and if i have smaller kite available i will get it but often i just keep riding.

If you want me to say most people shouldnt try that unless your an experienced rider and you know what you doing. Sure.
So no.. its not a weird claim or anything.. just a weight thing.

I'm Fluffy.. :rollgrin:

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Naples, FL
Style: SWAGGER Style

Postby ShredThaGnar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 am

I was thinking a 12m screamer. I have a 9m renegade and an infinity. I weigh 165lbs. Do you guys think thats the right size to fill my quiver? Also, has anyone replaced the 3 ring on the front lines of the Xtend bar with a swivel attachment? I was looking at replacing it with naish's or SS's swivel. I say this because when I loop my kite or do rolls my front lines always twist and I can never untwist them from the chicken loop. Dumb idea or brilliant?

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 pm

I happen to have all those kites and for me they fit nicely toghether.
The Infinity V2 i rode in 9/10 knots with my normal twintip (132x41). Dont know my exact highend but i reckon its around 17/18 knots for me. (wouldnt recommend to try it)

My 12m starts around 14 knots for me and around 20/22 knots the 9m renegade does it for me too. But like i said i rather ride the 12m a little longer ^^.
I think you will have much fun and benefit from the 12m.

About the swivels. I kinda do agree with you and hope Epic will get a swivel like that. But on the new CL there is a twist on there aswell. (redesigned aswell)
Myself i can untwist the lines while riding, but i usually let the bar go with the kite at 11, do some fast 2 hand twists and usually that gets it done. But i agree would be nice if that went a little smoother.

If you want to replace the swivel part look for a Mutiny kites Swivel, sofar i heared nothing but good about those things (it looks the same as the others but with a difference.. they always work..) Atleast i havent heared a bad thing about them yet.
It probably will be longer then the current mouse ears so make sure you correct the difference with the lines.

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Naples, FL
Style: SWAGGER Style

Postby ShredThaGnar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 pm

the mutiny swivel looks like it would work perfect... i cant find a store to buy it from in the US. does anyone know where i could get it in the states?

romkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:Do you know his weight?

No, he didn't say. By default I take such claims for the average rider which is 75 kg. Of course it make much more sense when he tells he is 110 kg !
But then it's the low end that I am suspicious about ... :lol:

If you don't mind me participate to this thread, I would like to share my experience regarding swivels. I had the SS mickey mouse for about 2 years. Worked great in the begining, then less well, then from semi automatic it became totally manual. The problem is that it is too high to reach when riding, so I had to stop from time to time, pull the depower rope to catch the swivel, and untwist it. I don't know about Mutiny, but SS sells it for 99 USD !! So I got back to the old chicken loop with integrated swivel : it's a simple roller skate ball bearing I can change myself for less than 5 EUR.

I am not sure how the epic swivel works, but it's below the bar. So even if not automatic, it is very easy to untwist your lines while riding. North & BWS are doing the same. I think that's a much better option than SS, naish & mutiny, and you should probably stick to that.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Hahaha i whish i was 75 kg.. but thats never gonna happen. would be kind of unhealthy for my lenght aswell. :lol:

The lowend is pretty normal for my kite with my board, think the board helps a lot too. But i've always ridden big kites and started with C's, so i guess i learned to control power with my board well too. Believe me no smooth riding above 27 knts but still kinda fun (and scary ^^ )

Like i said the current swivel i can handle just fine, the new one will give bitter grip which makes it easier to untwist. But i can imagine others like a Mutiny kind of swivel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”