All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pads with D3O?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 am 
Rare Poster

By chance saw this video about D3O material on web.

Have heard this material also has been used for pads. Would like to hear opinions of those who have such pads. Does it actually work? What is real difference between ordinary pads and those with this D3O material? Which brands have such pads?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Pads with D3O?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

I had a pair of Mystic with D3O and the material is actually really nice and can reduce the impact force. The way it works is that on a hard landing, the molecule bind together and the pads becomes hard, may sound strange but what it does in fact is you get a large area to absorb the impact which decrease the stress. I had some hard impact on mine and never felt any pain so it might work well but I can't tell if a regular pad would have done the same thing!

However I was not a big fan of the Mystic pad because they are really slippery but the quality is good. I know there are other brand offering some like Aboard and few others I think.

But to be honest I much prefer the comfort of my Shinn Sneaker X pad, most comfortable so far for me. I would prefer to have D3O in a ski suit as protection for a chute in snowkiting...that is what I am looking now in fact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Séb wrote:
The way it works is that on a hard landing, the molecule bind together and the pads becomes hard, may sound strange but what it does in fact is you get a large area to absorb the impact which decrease the stress.

Wouldn't a thinner pad that do the same thing by using the whole board to absorb the impact? :naughty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 pm 
Frequent Poster

:lol: yeah, you are probably right. That is why I am not sure it really works but I think it offer a very good protection the other way around...in an armor. I will most certainly buy one for next snowkiting season :

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm very satisfied owner of Aboards Anatomic pads with d3o, they are definitely comfiest pads I have used. On a first look and touch they don't differ much from many other pads but as soon as get on water and start action benefits of d3o starts to be felt. Pads absorbs excellently all landings and overall feels very soft, can ride long without any discomfort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I've got knee pads and armoured undies for the bike with D3O in.

I think it works in foot pads cos it absorbs energy as it stiffens, but doesn't go completely rigid so with the other padding... should be really comfy.

I'd like to try the Aboards pads too. How do the straps cinch down - is it the old style, levered down from one side or the new dual horn style?

... derp, I know what I mean :lol: 114 euro, not a bad price. I think...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am 
Rare Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
I've got knee pads and armoured undies for the bike with D3O in.

I think it works in foot pads cos it absorbs energy as it stiffens, but doesn't go completely rigid so with the other padding... should be really comfy.

I'd like to try the Aboards pads too. How do the straps cinch down - is it the old style, levered down from one side or the new dual horn style?

... derp, I know what I mean :lol: 114 euro, not a bad price. I think...

Not sure is it old or new style but Anatomic straps are adjustable from one side. Think that also new North pads can be regulated only from one side. :roll:
In my opinion that dual style system is not so good. At least the ones i had chance to try made pressure on my foots.

[ 7 posts ]