acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wet suit with tubes to warm hands

Postby acctx » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:04 pm

This has been posted recently on the windsurf forums with people claiming it really works. I have a 5/3 psychofreak and our water temp doesnt get colder than about 55 so no real need. There are probably a few days a year that I skip so a wetsuit for those days isnt worth it. a 6m kite though for the twice a year I need it - totally worth it.

Anyone here try this?

http://www.ianovated.co.uk/

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Re: wet suit with tubes to warm hands

Postby scklandl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:13 pm

A. Poor fitting suit
B. nylon exterior

Here's what you need to know. Your pyscho sucks, it sucks the heat out of you with it's fabric coating on the outside. A 3/2 smooth skin suit would be warmer. Trust me I have a 3/2 pyscho and I'm warmer in board shorts a 1mm smooth skin top. My GF confirms this.

More people need to realize that surf suits are not made for wind sports and increase the demand for smooth skin suit market expansion. Interior fleece lined suits are also the way forward as the increased surface retains more water and air via increased surface which helps stop cooling due to our extended standing posture. Wetsuits originally designed for underwater and surface waters ports (surfing) technology do not cross over well for our use.

In brief while this breath heated suit is a novel concept the designers fail in understanding some very rudimentary laws of physics which have a much greater impact on heat retention

papand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Korsør
Gear: VEGAS BABY - 2012
Brand Affiliation: Local store owner, i sell north, slingshot, naish, flexifoil.

Postby papand » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:37 pm

haha.. that must be one old 1.of april joke :lol:

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:01 pm

scklandl wrote:A. Poor fitting suit
B. nylon exterior

Here's what you need to know. Your pyscho sucks, it sucks the heat out of you with it's fabric coating on the outside. A 3/2 smooth skin suit would be warmer. Trust me I have a 3/2 pyscho and I'm warmer in board shorts a 1mm smooth skin top. My GF confirms this.

More people need to realize that surf suits are not made for wind sports and increase the demand for smooth skin suit market expansion. Interior fleece lined suits are also the way forward as the increased surface retains more water and air via increased surface which helps stop cooling due to our extended standing posture. Wetsuits originally designed for underwater and surface waters ports (surfing) technology do not cross over well for our use.

In brief while this breath heated suit is a novel concept the designers fail in understanding some very rudimentary laws of physics which have a much greater impact on heat retention
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ianovate ... 5660289009
jeesh man, how much warmer do you need the suit to be..?
seems to work for a lot of these other people.
if it keeps hands warm in freezing conditions, thats great. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:56 pm

This is actually quite interesting, and it might work !

The only issue by kiting in the winther, is always the hands :o

I am a true Viking, so can usually kite in freezing conditions sometimes even without gloves - but only by means of practice and some special techniques you learn during 34 years of surfing in winther conditions.

But still - the by far biggest issue is not the suit - there are 6mm wetsuits and drysuits, so keeping your core warm even in -5° (23 F) is no biggie.

But keeping the hands warm is ALWAYS an issue - especially if you are far out/away and can not make a stop.
As you close your circulation of blood when holding the bar.

Without gloves you sometimes blow your warm breath on your fingers, or maybe even "suck" on them, to keep them warm.

So the idea of using this really hot energy you got inside your warm suit, to the gloves, is quite fascinating :thumb:

We have just been out in a snowstorm in sub freezing temps today with 5m2 kites and good waves and a big upwind leg, so can really relate to this issue, that a "backup" warmth plan could be awesome :naughty:

:D Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm

So lucky to be living in Hawaii

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 am

scklandl wrote:A. Poor fitting suit
B. nylon exterior

Totally, but I way rather the durability of a surf suit in my 4/3 and go from that to a proper drysuit. Slick skin suits just dont hold up any where near as well. I have the OR surf dry that is complex enough, but once on absolutely great. The secret to warm hands with a suit that warm is decent circulation at the wrist. As long as you seat everything to minimize compression, you can get away with a pretty thin glove. Its all the warm blood from your inferno core that makes the difference.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 am

Peter_Frank wrote:This is actually quite interesting, and it might work !

The only issue by kiting in the winther, is always the hands :o

I am a true Viking, so can usually kite in freezing conditions sometimes even without gloves - but only by means of practice and some special techniques you learn during 34 years of surfing in winther conditions.

But still - the by far biggest issue is not the suit - there are 6mm wetsuits and drysuits, so keeping your core warm even in -5° (23 F) is no biggie.

But keeping the hands warm is ALWAYS an issue - especially if you are far out/away and can not make a stop.
As you close your circulation of blood when holding the bar.

Without gloves you sometimes blow your warm breath on your fingers, or maybe even "suck" on them, to keep them warm.

So the idea of using this really hot energy you got inside your warm suit, to the gloves, is quite fascinating :thumb:

We have just been out in a snowstorm in sub freezing temps today with 5m2 kites and good waves and a big upwind leg, so can really relate to this issue, that a "backup" warmth plan could be awesome :naughty:

:D Peter
Right! I reckon if you can keep your core warm enough, the rest of you stays warm too.

I have a 6/5/4mm fleece-line Hyperflex Amp and I go out with the dry-suit boys in 0°C and show falling and I'm toasty warm... in fact, I get so hot that sweat pools in my boots :o

I have 5mm lined XCEL boots and gloves, but the gloves are too thick really. I use them when it's really 0 and the weather is crap, but when the sun is out I go for $8 neoprene work gloves, about 2mm. I can feel the water is cold through them, but once I'm up and moving - all the heat from my body keeps the rest of me warm :D

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 am

I'll just stay where it is warm. 5/3 amp is the most I need and thats only a few days out of the year.

I don't think that this suit is really a needed thing.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 am

Starsky wrote:
Totally, but I way rather the durability of a surf suit in my 4/3 and go from that to a proper drysuit. Slick skin suits just dont hold up any where near as well. I have the OR surf dry that is complex enough, but once on absolutely great. The secret to warm hands with a suit that warm is decent circulation at the wrist. As long as you seat everything to minimize compression, you can get away with a pretty thin glove. Its all the warm blood from your inferno core that makes the difference.
Smooth skin suits last just as long these days since wet suit materials have chAnged. My hyper flex smooth skin outlasted my pyscho

Return to “Kitesurfing”