Naish X2 Sizing - Please help!

Forum for kitesurfers
KailuaWinds
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KailuaWinds » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:30 pm

On 2002-08-09 10:51, Anonymous wrote:
Even though you already have some experience kiting, please seriously consider at least one lesson. Not only will it save you lots of time with trial and error but it will make you a more responsible rider.
I guess I should have made this more clear in my original post. I have already taken 4.5 hours of lessons on 8m 2 line kites here in Kailua. I've been up and riding fine on a directional board, though I've had to make the "walk of shame" usually to get back upwind (Still working on edging upwind).

Well, now I'm not sure whether to go X2 or not. I was thinking maybe an Airush Lift...

KailuaWinds
Rare Poster

Postby KailuaWinds » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:30 am

Well, I took your guys advice and spoke with the Naish Hawaii guys at length about this. Basically, they steered me in the direction of the Aero 12m (rather than the X2) for a couple of reasons:

1. Wider wind range. Since I won't be getting a quiver of kites for awhile, the Aero has a much wider wind range, which will increase the number of days I can use it here and the locations I can go to.

2. The "outgrow" issue. They seemed firm that I wouldn't outgrow the kite in the next 6 months to a year. If I decide I want a super high aspect ration kite, I should use the Aero now and buy the next version of the X2 (or whatever else is the best) next year. They said about 40% of their team riders still ride only Aeros. They basically said that most people who are buying X2's aren't really good enough to get everything out of the kite and would be better off on an Aero, but everyone wants the flavor of the month, the X2.

3. Cost. As a local, the Aero is considerably cheaper than the X2 (no real kama'aina discounts on the X2).

Just thought others might be interested in what they had to say. Mahalo for all of your help...

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:53 am

Right on, KW. Sounds like the Naish boys gave you sound advice. I knew they would. Kudos to you for taking lessons to get started, too. You're on a good track!

Are you already a member of the Hawaii Kiteboarding Association? With the level headed way you're approaching the sport, you might be interested in checking them out if you haven't already. I'm sure you're well aware of the sensitive public relations for kiteboarders at Kailua. The HKA almost certainly saved this beach from being banned already. However, it's a tricky balancing act ovre there and they need all the new members and help they can get to help preserve access and safety. Click here to check 'em out:

HKA.org

Also, you can ask for Noel or Des at the Naish shop. They're both officers in the HKA.

Here's a pic from the HKA site of kiting at Kailua:

The wind conditions in Kailua are somewhat similar to wind conditions here on Kauai. Feel free to communicate with me via private messages (see FAQ) or email if you want to talk. In any case, keep it safe and keep having fun! Nice to meet you~

John

KailuaWinds
Rare Poster

Postby KailuaWinds » Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:14 am

Very interesting about HKA, John. I sent you a private message to follow up...

Nate

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:24 am

the X2 10.0 is a very nice kite.
if you know how to fly it, it will go so high.
But if you are not familiar with the jumping technique yet, you don't fly so high. A beginner won't feel the difference in jumping when using an Aero or X2. He might feel it when gusts hit the kites, since the X2 is not that forgiving.
But if you live that close to the beach you will improve so fast that you would have to buy a new kite in about 3-4 month for more performance if you choose an intermediate kite, IMO.

Cheers
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”