Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Light wind Test- Core 19m Vs. Turbine 17m

Postby OceanAdventures » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 pm

I recently got a chance to fly these two kites back to back. Here in FL we are always on the search for the best light wind kite. For the last few years the Turbine has been the light wind king in these parts, but we have been very interested since we heard that there was a 19m kite that has been said to perform very well. I'll break this review up into a few different categorizes.

Just to remind every, these are just my thoughts, not bashing anyone, besides these are two awesome kites. I'm 5'7. 140lbs, so take my thoughts with a little grain of salt

Kite- The Turbine is definitely a lower aspect that the Core 19. In the sky you can see the entire kite spread out, with the core you can see the wingtips scoop towards you, so it looks like the Turbine has more surface area directly exposed to the wind. I wouldn't mention this but my other instructor made the same comment.

Bar- If i had to pick one, the Core bar is definitely the winner. Simple, comfortable, and it works. The QL is a twist, not a push or pull. In an emergency I think it is something you would have to think about, but as far as simplicity and ease to put back together its great. Would definitely be hard to activate by accident. The bare is smaller but everything is adjustable, even the depower cleat can be moved up and down the centerline. The nicest feature is how you untwist the lines. All you do is sheet in all the way and the bare untwist them. Very innovative and still simple.

The Slingshot bar has not changed in a while. It works, is simple. Some people don't care for the below the bar depower, but if your not unhooking I don't think its a big deal. Plastic on the bar is a little harder, so the core bar feels better in the hands, but a few bigger riders who tried both said that the core bar was a little too small of a diameter for their liking.

Speed- I have to say for a 19m the core kite is fast. I would say it turns faster than the Turbine. The Core kite also has adjustments for kite speed and bar pressure. The 2013 Turbine does have an adjustment on the wingtip, one for light wind and one for heavy wind. I left the Core on its base settings.

Bar Pressure- I always find it hard to comment, as i started on 2:1 bars so most kites i fly have little bar pressure compared to those, but i would have to say that the core has less than the turbine.

Power and light wind (8-10mph)- This was a very close race for me. I flew both kite back to back several times. Honestly I think the Turbine had a little better low end grunt, but I am really having to nitpick on this one. Now I did have a few of my local riders who were +200, and they agreed the Turbine pulls a little harder.

Upwind- Once again for me this was hard, being 140 on a bigger kite the kite wants to usually pull me downwind more. That being said I did get upwind a little better on the Turbine.

Jumping- Now for this one I have to say something. I have been flying the turbine for a few years, so I'm used to this kite more. When jumping I hand more lofty jumps with the Turbine, and higher jumps with the Core. This was light wind but I like the lofty jumps more so in light wind I have to give it to the Turbine

Higher winds (15mph)- I have to say when the winds picked up i had a blast on the core. Backrolls, frontrolls, hand rake kiteloops. I was able to depower the 19m on the fly and just kept riding. Definitely had a blast. For the turbine i would have had to adjust the wingtip to compare, but by that time the wind backed off, so i couldn't do a back to back here.

Relaunch- The turbine is the king here until it is dethroned. The core does relaunch well, but I have seen the Turbine relaunch in about 4mph, and we had the core out the same time and no dice.

Overall Opinion- If you want a light wind kite that's going to get you up and riding, the Turbine is still the choice. Personally for someone my size its a toss up, but the feedback from my 200lbs+ riders is that the turbine is better in light winds. The Core 19m is just a smidgen behind, but as a lighter rider I will say I am having more fun when the wind picks up on the Core. Add than and the bar and you can't go wrong with the Core either. I would suggest that bigger riders in lighter winds (8-12mph) may like the Turbine better. All other may want to look at the Core 19m.

P.S.- I have not flown an epic infinity so I cannot compare it, nor do I want to compare. So lets hope this doesn't turn into another 100 page post that goes on for ever, just me giving an honest opinion about 2 really good kites.

Delmar78
Medium Poster
Gear: F-One B6 and SS Fuel
Tablas boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light wind Test- Core 19m Vs. Turbine 17m

Postby Delmar78 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 am

Spot on review!

Have them both myself.

In superlight wind the Turbine rocks, but a bit boring meanwhile the Core is faster and really turns like an 14m (like an 2007 Torch or something:)).

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

You need to SuperDickHead to come to your beach, hash together some video that is totally one sided and the post it online showing how much better the Core is...

sorry. :P

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

I owned a Core XR 17 (first model) and I was pretty happy with it. About relaunch, I never tested the Turbine but I think you're right, the Core is not a champion at it in very very light wind.
I bought the 17 hoping to ride in subten winds on the lake but I discovered that it's too gusty, wind sometimes suddenly drops to 3/4 knots then it picks up again to 7/8/9. The risk of having my kite in the water and can't be able to relaunch is high. The other side, water temperatures is low for the most part of the season, so it's not a pleasure (not to say it's dangerous) swimming back to the beach.
Eventually, I sold the 17 and switched to a Riot XR2 15. It's not a real light wind kite but when it's blowing about 10 to 15 (but you can ride it in more than 20!) it's a real freeride machine. It's faster than the 17 and you don't have the pulls-like-a-truck sensation.
Core kites are IMO very good kites: quality is high and so are performances. The bar is well engineered and works fine, QR is efficient and easy to operate once you get used to the "turn" system.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice honest review :thumb:

Looks like overall the higher aspect works out better for you.
Because I think the turning speed and depower range is very important for a lighter rider
as you're saying "more fun when the wind picks up" :idea:

DrLW

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:43 pm

OceanAdventures wrote: Kite- The Turbine is definitely a lower aspect that the Core 19. In the sky you can see the entire kite spread out, with the core you can see the wingtips scoop towards you, so it looks like the Turbine has more surface area directly exposed to the wind. I wouldn't mention this but my other instructor made the same comment.

P.S.- I have not flown an epic infinity so I cannot compare it, nor do I want to compare. So lets hope this doesn't turn into another 100 page post that goes on for ever, just me giving an honest opinion about 2 really good kites.
YES they are 2 really good kites
I need to know if to test the visible projected area of the 17 vs the 19 you did it this way:

Both kites up in the sky at the same time overhead with same line length 27 meters
Both flying overhead fully powered and bar all the way in order to expose maximum area to the wind

Of course by eyeballing you or someone said that the Turbine appeared larger..2% /4% etc ???

The reason i say that is that at our beach someone has the 2012 Turbine
And when we tested like i just explained & the 19 appears to be 5% larger (about 1.0 m2 proj.)

If they made the 2013 Turbine at same exact flat surface area of 17m2..
.....they must have made it much flatter to have more projected area than the 19

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 am

DrLightWind wrote:Nice honest review :thumb:

Looks like overall the higher aspect works out better for you.
Because I think the turning speed and depower range is very important for a lighter rider
as you're saying "more fun when the wind picks up" :idea:

DrLW
Well in light winds I've always liked the Crossbows, But as far as the best lightwind kite I would have to say the Turbine is better for getting you going in less.

For a Rider my size the little difference in power between the two is not a big deal for me. i could make either work.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 am

SupaEZ wrote: YES they are 2 really good kites
I need to know if to test the visible projected area of the 17 vs the 19 you did it this way:

Both kites up in the sky at the same time overhead with same line length 27 meters
Both flying overhead fully powered and bar all the way in order to expose maximum area to the wind

Of course by eyeballing you or someone said that the Turbine appeared larger..2% /4% etc ???

The reason i say that is that at our beach someone has the 2012 Turbine
And when we tested like i just explained & the 19 appears to be 5% larger (about 1.0 m2 proj.)

If they made the 2013 Turbine at same exact flat surface area of 17m2..
.....they must have made it much flatter to have more projected area than the 19
looking at it in the sky, you can just see that the wingtips on the core come further down than the Turbine. I wasn't very scientific about it, just an observation, but that doesn't really matter, as I was more worried about which kite pulled more in light wind.

They are both very big kites, the only difference between the 2012 and the 2013 is the connection points on the wing, where you can get more power than the 2012, more like the power of the original 2011.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:Well in light winds I've always liked the Crossbows, But as far as the best lightwind kite I would have to say the Turbine is better for getting you going in less.

For a Rider my size the little difference in power between the two is not a big deal for me. i could make either work.
I've got Crossbows too, but for me they are becoming a little boring - I know I'm gushing, but the Flite 17 is just such a hoot to fly and I really click with it... and I swear, it's got better low-end by MILES than my 16m XB. And it relaunches like a dream!

So the XBs are going to be replaced soon :)

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

great review :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”