poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

go pro black edition

Postby poools81 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:27 am

Anyone using this? seems like a lot of bad reviews cause software issues.Was wondering if anyone is using it and what they think.\

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Re: go pro black edition

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:29 am

Yeah its awesome. I had seen some bad reviews after I ran into an issue myself. I looked online because my wifi remote stopped syncing with the camera. There was an easy fix, just saved all my images and reformatted the memory and dropped the downloadable content from the GOPro website back on the card and the wifi worked the way it is supposed to right off the bat. I'm not sure what caused the malfunction. I do know that it worked fine the first few times on the water, then I was bored at home one day and installed the app on my phone. It was fun to play around with. I didn't end up using the camera again for maybe two weeks so I didn't really know anything was wrong until I went out into the water. Maybe the app takes over the default network the gopro puts out for the remote. I don't know.

I haven't had any issues with fogging, even in the cold temps. I just make sure to keep the cam in the shade if its sunny until ready for use. The quality is insane whether its sunny or cloudy. I had the contour + previously, I think the Go pro is a step up. The waterproof remote is so sick, no need to go to shore to push buttons that are hard to push and read within the alotted time before the camera goes back to the mode it was in. I can just cruise along and look at my wrist and easily push buttons on the remote to change to video, stills, burst, etc.....

Check out some issues people have had. I do believe GOpro is starting their fixes if needed. I had all kinds of issues with my contour, unfortunately, some batches are going to not function 100% but I think there is more tech in the gopro in the form of being able to really fix things via updates versus sending back under warranty. I could be wrong though.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:07 am

just testing it.
So far no problem...but I think the battery life is too short.
Anyone else?

Screenshot of a video
Attachments
Boracay Ride 1 small.jpg
Boracay Ride 1 small.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 3339 times

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 am

Ive been using mine for the last couple weeks now with no probs. i did some research before i got mone though and found a lot of issues were from the larger 64gb cards so i got 2 32gb cards and i also bought the wasabi battery packs and charger. I usually change my battery and memory card at the same time. I tend to start recording and just leave it on until the battery dies. I love the camera though. It has frozen on me a couple times on startup but i just pull the battery and startup again.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 am

Toby wrote:just testing it.
So far no problem...but I think the battery life is too short.
Anyone else?

Toby did you get yourself the battery backpak? I did but haven't needed it yet although the day I used the camera the longest, I was having the issue with the remote syncing up so I ended up not having the wifi on which will drain the battery faster. Another day I couldn't swap the camera to a different board during the same session so it stayed turned while I was out in the water. I tend to give it a quick charge of 15 minutes before use too while driving to a location, maybe warming up the battery helps. I don't have an airstyle project or warm water to spend hours and hours trying to film in though.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 am

yeah some of my worries see a lot of bad reviews online i don't want to drop 399 on a camera that freezes, but the videos and pics of working cameras look great!

eytan
Medium Poster

Postby eytan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am

the battary holds up about 80 to 90 mn.
I had some trouble with the remote wifi ,and its not easy to see it in the sun with sun glasses.
but the qualty is great. I have used the polar filter.

http://vimeo.com/61856738

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Pants floyd, that's old skool!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Currently my only problem is that the WI-FI range on the HERO3 Black does not seem to be as good as it was on my HERO2. On two different Black cameras it will not maintain sync while connected to my kite that is a fixed 23M away. I'll get a connection initially and then it quickly goes away. This has happened on two different cameras in both cold and warm climates.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem as the fixed distance should be unique to kiters (and is the main reason for using the remote!)

On my HERO2 w/ the WI-FI backpac the remote sync was solid until the battery died.

The battery life on the HERO3 is worse than on the HERO2. It is likely better if you keep wifi turned off. I have the external battery bacpack which increases the battery life and basically makes the slimmer HERO3 about as thick as the HERO2. It's too bad they didn't just put a bigger battery in the HERO3...it'd still be smaller and would cover one of the most common complaints on the camera.

This is why the remote is so critical to kiteboarding operation. It is obviously not easy to change the battery of the camera or select different modes when it is attached to your kite. With the remote I used to be able to switch the camera OFF when I didn't want to be filming and save it for better light or kiting situations. This let me film my entire session...but only the parts I cared about.

When I first bought the camera I had significant problems with it and very slow customer support from GoPro...who clearly rushed the thing into production before the holidays. They have since replaced my camera and it works fine.

The image quality is excellent and, if anything, I'm not figuring out the best way to import these hi-res videos into FinalCutPro X and have them exported to compressor and still look nice. I guess I have a lot to learn there. The 1080P videos export great but my 2.7K videos export to 1080P with a significant loss of clarity. That's my problem, not GoPro's.

Finally, the WI-FI button is very sensitive. When I travel with the camera I have to now remove the battery. On several occasions the button has gotten hit and turned on the WI-FI...and then I arrive at my location with a dead battery. :evil:

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Now I'm wondering if my remote will work on my kite too. I used the strut mount but it was nuking so I was running 18meter lines that day. Had no issues, the remote was quick and seamless. I'll have to do a test on long lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”