AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Cabrinha Kite Sighting

Postby AndKite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:38 pm

A cabrinha with no pullies. Holy Moly.

And finally, front line flagging. Me like. I guess only for this kite though.. but good anyway.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 pm

AndKite wrote:A cabrinha with no pullies. Holy Moly.

And finally, front line flagging. Me like. I guess only for this kite though.. but good anyway.
This might be a dumb question but Ive only flown and owned Cabrinha IDS kites, can you explain front line flagging? Is it a better safety than the IDS system?

braveman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby braveman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

If I was a Cab owner and they would have issued a new model a few month after I just bought my kite I would have been pissed.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm

shawn13 wrote:

This might be a dumb question but Ive only flown and owned Cabrinha IDS kites, can you explain front line flagging? Is it a better safety than the IDS system?
No dumb questions, only dumb specifications =)

I should have said single front line flagging.

The IDS works by completely depowering the kite by putting all tension on only the two frontlines, putting the kite on its back with no tension on steering lines. (i may be wrong here, have not tested it just seen the construction and the kites in air)

Single front line flagging means when the kite is released, only one of the frontlines have tension, rendering the kite powerless. The kite normally falls LE down on the water, waiting for reset or self rescue. This system is also very useful for self landing.

My personal preference is for single frontline flagging. We use it in school and it works great for kites washed in waves, self rescue, self land, un-inverting lines on land or in water (Y-split is close) and is a very straight forward, simple system that rarely jams. Only problem i can see w the cab is a lack of swivel. Yes, the leash spins, but not the CL in relation to powerlines. Or does it? Not sure...

EDIT: I see now on Cabs website that the CL apparently swivels. Good!

No personal experience w IDS, so no well grounded opinion.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

tautologies wrote:Who cares what number / year..it is just way to discriminate from one year to anotheer...
What is interesting is the foil...are cab making foilboard now?
no foilboard...

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 pm

AndKite wrote:
shawn13 wrote:

No dumb questions, only dumb specifications =)

I should have said single front line flagging.

The IDS works by completely depowering the kite by putting all tension on only the two frontlines, putting the kite on its back with no tension on steering lines. (i may be wrong here, have not tested it just seen the construction and the kites in air)

Single front line flagging means when the kite is released, only one of the frontlines have tension, rendering the kite powerless. The kite normally falls LE down on the water, waiting for reset or self rescue. This system is also very useful for self landing.

My personal preference is for single frontline flagging. We use it in school and it works great for kites washed in waves, self rescue, self land, un-inverting lines on land or in water (Y-split is close) and is a very straight forward, simple system that rarely jams. Only problem i can see w the cab is a lack of swivel. Yes, the leash spins, but not the CL in relation to powerlines. Or does it? Not sure...

EDIT: I see now on Cabs website that the CL apparently swivels. Good!

No personal experience w IDS, so no well grounded opinion.
Launched in 2012, the Quicklink is the first (and maybe still the only?) control system on the market that has fully independent spinning between the:
1/ leash
2/ front lines
3/ rear lines
4/ security line.

So yes, everything is fully spinning independent of each other on this control system.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm

braveman wrote:If I was a Cab owner and they would have issued a new model a few month after I just bought my kite I would have been pissed.
That's kind of a ridiculous statement. The reason for the mid-season release is the IKA required that race kites be registered prior to Jan 2013 and you had to have production by the end of January in order to use those kite models in their sanctioned events. We needed to update the Crossbow LW design as it was on 18 months (otherwise we would have had to use it until the end of 2013 for racing, or a full 30 months), so we had to come with a mid-season release. As long as the IKA stays on this schedule, the Velocity will always launch around January rather than in the late summer like the rest of the Cabrinha products.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm

So regardless of all the techy crap. how does it fly?

looks like a Crossbow LW to me with a different bar and bridle.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm

pndLA wrote:just reading over the marketing blabla on their website where they state that the "kite is podium proven" (how can a new kite which was not registered in the IKA last season be podium proven?)
...because Bryan Lake was just crowned Lord of the Wind in Baja against the top racers in the world and he was flying new Velocity kites. Podium Proven...

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
braveman wrote:If I was a Cab owner and they would have issued a new model a few month after I just bought my kite I would have been pissed.
That's kind of a ridiculous statement. The reason for the mid-season release is the IKA required that race kites be registered prior to Jan 2013 and you had to have production by the end of January in order to use those kite models in their sanctioned events. We needed to update the Crossbow LW design as it was on 18 months (otherwise we would have had to use it until the end of 2013 for racing, or a full 30 months), so we had to come with a mid-season release. As long as the IKA stays on this schedule, the Velocity will always launch around January rather than in the late summer like the rest of the Cabrinha products.
Just a small correction... The IKA has designated this year will be a "transition year" of January 1 to December 31st, hence the mid-season release. The season will migrate to August 1st through July 31 in the future to be more on par with standard industry release dates, so the 2014 Velocity will be sold through July 2014...

Return to “Kitesurfing”