Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Re: New Cabrinha Kite Sighting

Postby BraCuru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

C Johnson wrote:looks like a Crossbow LW to me with a different bar and bridle.
I've got VMG 18/13 and 9m. Tested two bigger ones.
Comparing with the CB LW 2012 - new VMG is a different beast despite it looks similar from a distance for some. Not for me anymore! I do not want to go in details yet but the feeling is superb!
The 18m flies like it would be 4sqm smaller but creates mad power. Very, very light on the bar. I was snowkiting with winds 4kts. All Flysurfers including 21m were dead on the lake and I was riding like a mad shouting "Run! VMG, run!" Unbelievable feeling: riding alone on the lake during a snowkiting competition with 2 dozens kites grounded around. It was dead simple to keep it flying. I thought that CB 2012 was already ideal one in this field. I was wrong...

Vid from the comp:

There is a topic with pictures comparing CB2012 13m and the same size VMG. You can see the differences in construction. Use google translator if wish to read details.
http://www.kiteforum.pl/forum/viewtopic ... ty#p361752

Question to Cab Driver.
I checked the bridle of CB and VMG. Looks like the same lengths of each line.
Can I remove all blocks on the front line bridle in CB2012?
I think it should work giving faster response to CB LW, correct?

BTW: thanks for the great racing machine finally. It's a pity that Cabrinha put on hold their racing programme 2 years ago. Shame on you, Cabrinha! I will never forget it :evil:

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:08 pm

The kite looks damm good! Only issue is the rumor that says the owner of Cabrinha (mr. Pryde) was the one getting RSX in the Olympics instead of kiteracing. So how do you want to rebuild your image "by riders for riders" when your big boss stabed us all in the back? Free kites to all from the money he got on RSX and we are even :thumb:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:11 pm

BraCuru wrote:
Comparing with the CB LW 2012 - new VMG is a different beast despite it looks similar from a distance for some. Not for me anymore! I do not want to go in details yet but the feeling is superb!
The 18m flies like it would be 4sqm smaller but creates mad power. Very, very light on the bar. I was snowkiting with winds 4kts. All Flysurfers including 21m were dead on the lake and I was riding like a mad shouting "Run! VMG, run!" Unbelievable feeling: riding alone on the lake during a snowkiting competition with 2 dozens kites grounded around. It was dead simple to keep it flying. I thought that CB 2012 was already ideal one in this field. I was wrong...

Vid from the comp:

There is a topic with pictures comparing CB2012 13m and the same size VMG. You can see the differences in construction. Use google translator if wish to read details.

Question to Cab Driver.

BTW: thanks for the great racing machine finally. It's a pity that Cabrinha put on hold their racing programme 2 years ago. Shame on you, Cabrinha! I will never forget it :evil:
Now I want one. I am currently shopping around to replace my kites for spring and was set on the 2013 13m Xbow but now it sounds like id be smarter to get the VMG. And my local shop carries them. Tough choice...

This single flag system sound interesting. The current IDS works 50% of the time. It kills the power but doesn't flag and flip over for self landings like its suppose to. Pain in the ass when I kite alone.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 pm

AndKite wrote:A cabrinha with no pullies. Holy Moly.

And finally, front line flagging. Me like. I guess only for this kite though.. but good anyway.
What makes you think they have no Pulley's?
The VMG's I have seen had Pulley's.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 pm

lander wrote: Free kites to all from the money he got on RSX and we are even :thumb:
It should be only fair solution :idea:

Somebody claimed in this topic that a new Cab race bar is a damn copy of Ozone. I've got opposite feeling :wink:

Anyway - it's a history now. Let see how Cabrinha kites will work in the present times.
I am not sure if the Africans (starting just in 2 days) might be the first real test.
:dumbo:
I've already heard that Mr.Lake gave up to compete on the Egyptian waters... :cry1:
Damien are you there?
Last edited by BraCuru on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:00 pm

BraCuru wrote:
lander wrote: Free kites to all from the money he got on RSX and we are even :thumb:
It should be only fair solution :idea:
I saw a published but not distributed Cabrinha racing catalogue two years ago. To my best knowledge no company including Cabrinha 2013/14 has not reach commitment level presented there till now...
Somebody claimed in this topic that a new Cab race bar is a damn copy of Ozone. I've got opposite feeling :wink:

Anyway - it's a history now. Let see how Cabrinha kites will work in the present times.
I am not sure if the Africans (starting just in 2 days) might be the first real test.
:dumbo:
I've already heard that Mr.Lake gave up to compete on the Egyptian waters... :cry1:
Damien are you there?
It is a copy of the Ozone bar, its an exact copy actually. Cabrinha even went and sourced the exact same parts that Ozone been using for years.
Anyway I wasn't complaining I was just pointing it out and giving Cabrinha props for their copy instead of making something crappy.

Yes yes i know its a different CL

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm

stefaans wrote:It is a copy of the Ozone bar, its an exact copy actually. Cabrinha even went and sourced the exact same parts that Ozone been using for years.
Stef - you know yours, I know mine.
Most of pro rider were experimenting in 2009-11.
For example - June 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2365074&hilit=cro ... +2011+race

With Cabrinha's dominance in kite course racing secured by Bruno Sroka's 2009 world titles, the foundation was set to develop a dedicated racing kite based on Crossbow's winning design. The New 2011 Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race combines a new profile set into an ultra stable laminate material to deliver a highly tuned racing machine. The Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race is made to do one thing - win. It has incredible upwind and downwind abilities. Our exclusive laminate material and its 7 batten frame keep the canopy flying rock solid on all points of sail.
The Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race comes complete with a 1.5 to 1 ratio control bar. This ratio allows greater control over the speed and power of your kite while increasing its turning ability.

The racing products what are on the market now - that the good outcome of those tests carried out by all involved in the racing.

Good news is that the control systems for racing get better and are finally on the market for simple riders like me.
stefaans wrote:The VMG's I have seen had Pulley's.
You are right. 2 instead 8 of CB 2012.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 pm

lander wrote:The kite looks damm good! Only issue is the rumor that says the owner of Cabrinha (mr. Pryde) was the one getting RSX in the Olympics instead of kiteracing. So how do you want to rebuild your image "by riders for riders" when your big boss stabed us all in the back? Free kites to all from the money he got on RSX and we are even :thumb:
Mr. Pryde had nothing to do with overturning the ruling to put kitesurfing in the Olympics. Those of you that would actually believe that an equipment supplier has this kind of power is ludicrous. It was decisions made by country representatives last spring that put kiting IN the Olympics that made no sense; so their home country's blasted them and they reversed their decision later in November. Consider countries that already had medal winners and favored 2016 medalists in RS:X voted it OUT of the Olympics... crazy right? These are the folks that did a 180 in November. Yes it's disappointing for kitesurfing, but we will get our chance again. There is still an outside possibility that Kitesurfing will be a demonstration sport in Rio.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm

BraCuru wrote:
stefaans wrote:It is a copy of the Ozone bar, its an exact copy actually. Cabrinha even went and sourced the exact same parts that Ozone been using for years.
Stef - you know yours, I know mine.
Most of pro rider were experimenting in 2009-11.
For example - June 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2365074&hilit=crossbow+lw+2011+race

With Cabrinha's dominance in kite course racing secured by Bruno Sroka's 2009 world titles, the foundation was set to develop a dedicated racing kite based on Crossbow's winning design. The New 2011 Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race combines a new profile set into an ultra stable laminate material to deliver a highly tuned racing machine. The Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race is made to do one thing - win. It has incredible upwind and downwind abilities. Our exclusive laminate material and its 7 batten frame keep the canopy flying rock solid on all points of sail.
The Cabrinha Crossbow XB Race comes complete with a 1.5 to 1 ratio control bar. This ratio allows greater control over the speed and power of your kite while increasing its turning ability.

The racing products what are on the market now - that the good outcome of those tests carried out by all involved in the racing.

Good news is that the control systems for racing get better and are finally on the market for simple riders like me.
stefaans wrote:The VMG's I have seen had Pulley's.
You are right. 2 instead 8 of CB 2012.
There is one pulley on each side of the kite in the REAR bridle. This is to ensure proper support of the LE. Kites that cheat on this will have a noticeable wrinkle on the wingtip. It's ugly, hence the pulley. Without the pulley, you can have a "V" at the top of the bridle connecting in two places on the wingtip to support the LE, but the range is decreased, bar pressure increased, and turning slowed...

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 pm

BraCuru wrote:

Vid from the comp:

Question to Cab Driver.

Our kite designer once gave me a great piece of advise, "don't ever f**k with the bridles". I feel obliged to pass this on to you all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”