Wetsuit for Seattle summer

Forum for kitesurfers
luv2glyd
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wetsuit for Seattle summer

Postby luv2glyd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like the consensus is a 4/3, so that'd be likely what I get. I just haaaaaaate the way the thing sits on you - I feel like a stuffed sausage in it, even though I’m pretty lean. :angryfire: Thinner would have been better, but I am spoiled riding with nothing but shorts most of the year here in FL.

Bille - yeah I got a paraglider that I keep in Seattle (got some family there). Can’t wait to hit tiger mountain when I get there!

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Don Lester » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:29 pm

It amazes me how much importance people, who should know better, put on wetsuit thickness, while ignoring construction and quality of materials...........

If you get a smooth skin ( rubber ) suit with some kind of fleece inner layer it would be way warmer than any non smooth ( nylon ) skin suit that is much thicker...........

Don't let " Marketers " try to sell you non-smooth skin suits as being " as warm " ............It's pure marketing hype........

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 pm

If you want to buy one suit for NW waters just get a 5/4, it's easy enough to cool off if it's too hot just open up your neck and slosh some water in.

That being said there are many options for kiteboarding in the area where you can get away with a 2 mm or even just a vest. Places like Bellingham Bay where the shallow water gets baked by the sun and is bathtub warm.

luv2glyd
Rare Poster

Postby luv2glyd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Don, do that makes sense. What do you use in San Fran in the summer? Brand/thicknes/constuction?...

bustingbladder
Medium Poster

Postby bustingbladder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm

What size are you? I have tons of wetsuits new and used. I ride Neil Pryde now but was with Hyperflex for years and have several different thicknesses left over from that era that you could entertain. PM me and lets get you set up.

Wally Gator

tish
Rare Poster

Postby tish » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:56 pm

508 wildfish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madaket , jetties, pocomo, nantucket, ma
Favorite Beaches: madaket harbor, jetties, and pocomo nantucket harbor
Style: freeride
Gear: 08 12m naish cult
07 9m best waroo
08 10m eh beast from offdalip
07 crazyfly proline
ocean rodeo sessions 2 harness
dakine taboo harness
ocean rodeo pyropro drysuit
and a bunch of bars pumps and swag
08 naish smartloop bar of choice

Postby 508 wildfish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 am

reality check! cold water and "cheap" don't mix.

PATAGONIA R4 is the suit of choice.

my 2 year old zealot has 4+ tubes of aqua seal on it . never shouldn't have bought in to ben wilsons bullshit review. OR drysuit costs more than a good wetsuit to repair. hyperflex 's 2nd replacement blew out.

florida to seattle in the summer?!
hike, bike, glacier ski, kayak etc!!
im a cold water kiter.

florida boys freeze in 60 deg water. money spent gearing up would pay a flight somewhere else. unless of coarse your geared up already.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi luv2glyd........I've been doing watersports for 35 years and have owned more suits than I can remember and when I go out kiteing I'm usually out for 2 to 3 hours which is why I need max warmth. After an hour or so in Nylon suits I'm getting cold and my muscles start to lock-up.

I now use Neil Prdye suits, but only the rubber ones, old 3000 & 5000 series. I have an old Neil Pryde " Elite " suit that was great for winter, but after 7 years ( winter,early spring use only ) it finally blew up. Tried to order a new one and was told they retail for around $750 ............ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???? The first one I bought was expensive at $350.......

The "Elite" is probably the best all-around suit you can buy though, warm and flexable. It's so comfortable and warm I wish they made two versions, the 5/3 which they now make and a 3/2mm for summer that they don't make. One of the reasons it works so well is the super smooth Silicone like texure of the the outer rubber skin, water beads off almost instantly, hence much less cooling than even regular rubber suits. The other reason rubber suits work so much better than Nylon is they will GENERATE heat if there's any sunshine available, which is so wonderful when you've been out there for a couple of hours.

I've also owned the orginal Patagonia 3m suit which was rubber as well and I liked a lot, but they also have switched to nylon now. They then had to increase thickness and eliminate the back zip to get back close to the warmth they had with the orginal rubber suit. Very expensive as well.

It's really too bad Neil Pryde can't get the price down for the "Elite" which prevents it from being much more popular..........

Whatever they call the new version of the 3000 & 5000 series are a good second choice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”