Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: go pro black edition

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 am

I had a chance to go kite today but forgot my strut mount so I couldn't test my wifi connection from the kite. However, I took a video, walked 100 feet, ended the recording via the remote. Started recording a second video and walked another 25 feet from where I ended the last recording. I then started a third recording and walked another 25 feet. In total I paced roughly 150 feet away from the camera and the remote worked fine. I cycled through the modes as well and everything worked from that distance. I wouldn't be surprised if everyones range was slightly different.

Hermano80
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town, Jabberwock (Antigua)
Style: Beginner, no style yet!
Gear: North Evo

Postby Hermano80 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:33 am

Hi guys
I just got my Black Edition Surf Go Pro. Stoked. Bought with it the chest harness, the bobber is on its way, can't wait - obviously going to be used more for diving, surfing etc.
Anyway, I also want to mount my gopro 3 on my kite strut, what are you using to do that? I see that the wrist mount is not compatible with the hero 3 yet, so what are you using then?
Your tips much appreciated.
Herman

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 am

Hermano80 wrote:Hi guys

Anyway, I also want to mount my gopro 3 on my kite strut, what are you using to do that? I see that the wrist mount is not compatible with the hero 3 yet, so what are you using then?
Your tips much appreciated.
Herman

http://camrig.com/strut-mount-camrig/strut-mount

They manufacture a mount that velcros to your strut. It doesn't fit the face plate of the Go pro 3 due to the shape of the lens, but it's pretty easy to cut away some material to make it fit. A sharp knife and some carving skills are all you need. Just make sure your strut is not sewn to the canopy near the leading edge so that you can wrap the velcro there.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm

dyyylan wrote:
PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:Was size card is everyone using?
I got the 64 gig one even though there are reports of issues. Just wondering if those who are continuing to have problems are using these cards or smaller ones.
Not aimed directly at you, but lots of people have issues with cards because they buy off-brand crap that isn't the correct speed. 64GB cards are still "big" by today's standards, so a decent one will be fairly expensive... some people try to save money and this unfortunately is not the way to go for video - it can work FINE for photos (unless you have a pro level dslr that can write above a certain FPS), but for video you absolutely need the highest write speeds you can get
I have used the 64GB high end SanDisk one without issues. Two different ones actually. Amazon usually has a good price on them so you don't have to buy a crap brand.
PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:...Also are you guys manually putting the downloadable updates onto your camera or letting Java do it for you?
Perhaps you are not unzipping all the content and putting it all in the root menu. Might not be the issue but something to check on.
I have never used the Java update because it doesn't work on my Mac. I guess the latest version of Java, which is required, was not made for the Mac and I have to do it manually.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:35 pm

I also have had issues with the cameras syncing to wifi, turning on and off. The hero two wifi seemed more stable. I have three blaks. Maybe an update might resolve. Also charging problem with my remote, keeps going flat or not charging. Trying to figure out what is going on.

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”

Postby silversurfer_no » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Very happy with the picture quality but very unhappy about the battery capacity. One little hint though:

Charging using the big iPod converter does not work, probably to high a current
Regular small iPhone converter works fine though

Still to try out the remote. Every time I get to the beach it seems to have lost half its charge even if fully charged when leaving home.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 am

silversurfer_no wrote:...Still to try out the remote. Every time I get to the beach it seems to have lost half its charge even if fully charged when leaving home.
The remote has a mind of its own. Sometimes it stays on after you charge it or powers on when you connect it to the charger (instead of charging). You have to make sure it is OFF when charging, after charging...and of course when you pack it in your bag for the beach. If it gets a full charge and stays off, the battery will last. The range is another story...

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:39 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
silversurfer_no wrote:...Still to try out the remote. Every time I get to the beach it seems to have lost half its charge even if fully charged when leaving home.
The remote has a mind of its own. Sometimes it stays on after you charge it or powers on when you connect it to the charger (instead of charging). You have to make sure it is OFF when charging, after charging...and of course when you pack it in your bag for the beach. If it gets a full charge and stays off, the battery will last. The range is another story...
I have a problem with the remote, when I put it to recharge he begins to recharge and
After a minute the remote stop recharging and begin to send the "signal" to looks for the camara.
I disconnect from charging and connect again and have the same problem after a minute.
I had my camera completly off so I don't understand why the remote do that.

Any ones have the same issue with the remote?

When I finally can charge the remote. I use the remote during kiting I put the camera on my helmet and with thevremote turn on the camara and begin to record but after 6 to 8 minutes of recording the recording stops alone and when I look at the remote it's sending the signal to find the camera.

Anyone had the same problem?
How you ressolve it?

Thanks

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:13 am

Yes I have the same problem. Look fwd to any advice.

KitesurferZ11
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Saint-gilles-croix-de-vie (la grande plage)
Fromentine
Oostende
Brettignolles
Favorite Beaches: Fromentine
Saint-gilles-croix-de-vie (la grande plage)
Style: Freestyle and race
Gear: Slingshot

Postby KitesurferZ11 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:09 pm

I use it to but the battery life is indeed very short!! ;(

Return to “Kitesurfing”