Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby Olivier D » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Dimitri M wrote:SupaEZ, Laughingman, and a hand full of other people who don't beleive in the performance of the INFINITY V2 and V3.

I just want you to know this is a waist of my time and it will be the last time I respond on this post. I have lots of work trying to help kiters with real questions.
We are glad your are "trying" to BS those with real questions

Much much than a handful do not believe in your 2-4kn "performance" original claim

The V2 & V3 kites behavior are not being questioned here...your tarps are doing just fine

You got it all wrong and twisted around....it is your behavior and stories that are under scrutiny

If this will really be your last time on this thread...can we "see a video of yourself" saying it

Just to make it official and more believable :roll:
Poor little SupaEZ, now you feel upset that Dimitri won't reply?
Man, get a LIFE

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Wow:
117 pages of comments on this topic !!!

It must touch a nerve somewhere

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteCulture » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm

touches lots of nerves i guess...
Toby can we lock this one down now? I think all clarity went out the window on something like page 50!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Hey Frank

I honestly was very surprised myself but I have noticed this with older model Lightwind kites as well. This is not unique to the Infinity, the Fat Lady is the same and so is the Monkey. I cannot speak for the riders you are referring to and I do not know what board they were riding, but you can usually negate the downwind pull if you use a board that plains quick, maybe they were using Epics light wind board..?
A light wind board is always easy to point up wind especially when you have depowered the kite, but if I am using a lightwind kite in 8-10 knots I do not want to also use a light wind board. You are already having to give certain tradeoffs with the kite, why should you also trade off with the board? Besides with a lightwind board a skilled rider does not need a light wind kite to kite in 8-10 knots. I want a kite that I can use in 8-10 knots with my Mako wide 150cm, Dimitri was sure this would work, it did work, but not very well and was not fun in the least.

Now I want to make it clear to the readers, the quote below was adjusted by you ...
It was blowing 8 - 10 knots that afternoon and later on picked up a few knots which is when I switched to my 12.5m Ion 3.
... but it still yanked me downwind because it sits so far back in the window.

it sounds like (because of the way the quote was shortened) I was saying that I was still being pulled downwind with my ION 3. I assure you I was not, which was what really surprised me, here I am in 8-10 knots with a big kite and while I am able to plain with speed and edge as much as I can I am not getting a good upwind angle, and then when the wind picked up to 11 - 13 knots I switched to a much smaller kite 12.5m and was instantly going upwind without effort, using the same board.

as far as the v3 is concerned... I have not tried it, Dimitri has offered to let me try it in April but I don't feel it will make much difference. Comparing the difference from the v1 to the v2 I honestly cannot see how the v3 is going to fly that much different. I think until they abandon modeling the infinity after the renegade the cons which I have pointed out will remain.

I'm happy you are enjoying the thread!

frankm1960 wrote:@laughingman,
I read your review of the V2 way back.... here's a bit of it...

It was blowing 8 - 10 knots that afternoon and later on picked up a few knots which is when I switched to my 12.5m Ion 3.
... but it still yanked me downwind because it sits so far back in the window.
In the wind that I tested it in, I was planing very well, I even had 1/2 of the depower pulled in but still struggled to get upwind.

So you're in 8-10kts and "struggled to get upwind"? That I don't understand because when I look
at the video of those two girls on the V3 planning (video Dimitry posted a couple pages back) and they're having a great time in the same wind conditions, around 9-10kts she says. The 2nd girl in that same video is a real light weight and she's smokin in what I believe they say was 7kts, no apparent trouble staying up wind. Both girls are much lighter than you at I believe 175lbs?. I think that's correct.

I would have to try the kite for myself but it seems weird that both those girls were having a good time and you were struggling in the same wind conditions. Maybe that's the diff between the V2 and V3 :lol:

Can you comment on that other than to say that the video is potentially BS :lol:

Hey... keep this thread going man it's my daytime entertainment at the moment :lol: :)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

KiteCulture wrote:touches lots of nerves i guess...
Toby can we lock this one down now? I think all clarity went out the window on something like page 50!
Why would you lock this down? No one is being abusive or rude.
If you don't want to read it don't click on the topic..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey ym

I do not expect a light wind kite to perform as a small kite, there are tradeoffs no matter what. But if a kite can fly in 2-4 knots you would think by the time you get to 8-10 knots you would be going upwind on a very good angle with the kite trimmed properly with just about any board (within reason)
I have not tried the Racer, maybe in April if it is available for a demo and a new Epic release is attached to that kite, I have vowed never to use the old Epic bar again as it might be my last...
How did you find the Racer? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

Pete
ym wrote: It is going to be very hard to find a light wind kite that will perform like a smaller kite. They all will be slow and since there aren't any wind (hense LW), the kite has to generate it's power via apparent wind or just low end grunt (like renegades....).
Have you tried the Racer kite? I had a chance to try it when it was a prototype. It sure is a much higher aspect kite than Infinity.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 pm

frankm1960 wrote:@supaEZ

Is it possible for you to repost those vids ? as much as I like this thread it's great reading the first time but going back and looking for a post is a lot of work... which is a 4 letter bad word for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EnHiW2CpJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 9Eg1-M6ULo

SpinL00per videos

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm

frankm1960 wrote:@supaEZ

Is it possible for you to repost those vids ? as much as I like this thread it's great reading the first time but going back and looking for a post is a lot of work... which is a 4 letter bad word for me.
Got one more that you may have missed from way earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... RkFhVvtJOM

SpinL00per video

ym
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Been thanked: 0

Postby ym » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 am

Racer was very interesting kite. Very high aspect and it did create all the power with apparent wind. It sure did have good power, but was very different from Infinity... Kinda make sense.
It has this "sweet spot" that when you lock the kite in a specific spot, it just pulled you. I do understand why it was called the Racer. Good upwind ability.
I just don't know how much you will have fun jumping and stuff, but if you are looking for some fast and "race" oriented kiting, I think Racer is the way to go.
Just my 2 cents :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 am

I think things are very simple:

go, try and compare yourself. Then you will know which winds work for you.
The rest is theory, depending on boards, riders, winds in higher regions etc.

I once had a session where the water was glassy...and 10m above surface we had 20 knots.
One of my coolest sessions ever ;-)

No more discussion needed then...but for the fun keep it going :naughty:

Return to “Kitesurfing”