Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Edge 17/19 vs Dyno 2011 18 ? Anyone can compare?

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Edge 17/19 vs Dyno 2011 18 ? Anyone can compare?

Postby Puetz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm

G'day Toby,

I've had a couple of rides on the Ozone Edge 17m and hopefully soon I'll get to ride my mates 19m. From my initial tests the old 2011 18m has more static pull and lift but the Edges are faster with quicker turning but you have to sine them to get the power. The first thing I noticed was the Edges needed apparent wind to get anywhere near the same power of the Dyno but since its got good speed you can get some good jumps.

Here's the rub for me, when I load up the Edges, it would fold and quite badly when pushed just a bit harder. I attempted to do a normal jumps, and it would fold a little, but if I looped it, the kite would fold, which ever side I was pulling, that side would fold.

This isn't just an Edge thing by the way, I could get my old Core 17m or an Epic Infinity to do it too, but it was alot harder for these two. Infact, I can get most big bridle kites to fold, the only one I find hard to fold is the 2011 18m Dyno (only time is if I have sea anchored myself and looped it). And before you say it, yes the leading edge was pumped up hard.

From my mates impression, he thinks the 19m (thin leading edge) would be worse than the 17m for folding and even he gets it to do it but I figure, the kite wasn't aimed at freeriding but more at lightwind race boards that wouldn't be loaded up as hard as a twin tip jumper would do. My mate gets good jumps with hang and loves the Edges over his 2011 16m Dyno by a country mile.

Anyway, when I get a chance to ride the Edge 19m, I'll do a direct comparison. I suspect that you won't like it as it is very different to the Dyno, and unless your willing to change your style, you won't get along with it.

cheers for now,

Robbie :)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Puetz wrote:G'day Toby,

I've had a couple of rides on the Ozone Edge 17m and hopefully soon I'll get to ride my mates 19m. From my initial tests the old 2011 18m has more static pull and lift but the Edges are faster with quicker turning but you have to sine them to get the power. The first thing I noticed was the Edges needed apparent wind to get anywhere near the same power of the Dyno but since its got good speed you can get some good jumps.

Here's the rub for me, when I load up the Edges, it would fold and quite badly when pushed just a bit harder. I attempted to do a normal jumps, and it would fold a little, but if I looped it, the kite would fold, which ever side I was pulling, that side would fold.

This isn't just an Edge thing by the way, I could get my old Core 17m or an Epic Infinity to do it too, but it was alot harder for these two. Infact, I can get most big bridle kites to fold, the only one I find hard to fold is the 2011 18m Dyno (only time is if I have sea anchored myself and looped it). And before you say it, yes the leading edge was pumped up hard.

From my mates impression, he thinks the 19m (thin leading edge) would be worse than the 17m for folding and even he gets it to do it but I figure, the kite wasn't aimed at freeriding but more at lightwind race boards that wouldn't be loaded up as hard as a twin tip jumper would do. My mate gets good jumps with hang and loves the Edges over his 2011 16m Dyno by a country mile.

Anyway, when I get a chance to ride the Edge 19m, I'll do a direct comparison. I suspect that you won't like it as it is very different to the Dyno, and unless your willing to change your style, you won't get along with it.

cheers for now,

If my 10m Edge hasn't got enough air in it, the kite folds when jumping and pushing really hard.

Pump that suckka up super hard and you should be fine.

I have the 15 as well, I haven;t flown it yet as we have had mental winds, but tomorrow, saturday and Sunday we have 12-18knots so I will find out!

I directly replaces a 15m Speed3 so I am very curious to see how it fairs.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 am

Tone wrote:
Puetz wrote:G'day Toby,

cheers for now,

If my 10m Edge hasn't got enough air in it, the kite folds when jumping and pushing really hard.

Pump that suckka up super hard and you should be fine.

I have the 15 as well, I haven;t flown it yet as we have had mental winds, but tomorrow, saturday and Sunday we have 12-18knots so I will find out!

I directly replaces a 15m Speed3 so I am very curious to see how it fairs.
... yeah, I know you gotta pump it up hard but you get to a point where one worries its too much and its gunna blow up. Seeing as its not mine (19m), I'll get my mate to pump it up as much as he dares. If it still folds then it folds. I had a Best team rider give me a go of his latest kite at the time, pump the kite to atleast 10 psi, and it still folded but under him, no worries but constantly folding on me, so my conclusion, the kite isn't for me. Maybe the Edge's aren't for me.

Good luck with the 15!

cheers,

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:29 am

Hey robbie stop drinking so much piss and ya might not fold kites !! Lol. Good point ya made the edge needs speed more than the Dyno for sure. reckon the glide time on the edge might be more though. hopefully north can help Toby out or he finds an alternative in Germany.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 am

Robbie: thx for the info.
Pls let us know once you tried the 19.

All I need is a kite which I send closely from the zenith into zenith and then just goes to fly...the Edge doesn't do that?
Or what is the difference?

I get my Dyno 18 too fold as well...but no wonder at 20+ knots. But one out of 4 did it even more...the others only under really heavy load. LE pumped to 7 psi...so 1 psi more than suggested.

I saw an Edge 19 here...LE looks thin, like the Fuse. Dyno 18 is thick, like the R2 20...so maybe that's the secret of the performance?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 am

If that's the case then the edge will actually work better in some ways than the dyno. The edge likes little movement and exactly what you said Toby, build line tension and speed and only marginal movement is best. It actually doesn't liked to be whipped at all. 11 to 12 and follow it up and enjoy paragliding...kind of.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 am

hey Toby,

no direct comparison just yet but I had a discussion with my mate Tony who's got the 19m and he says that the Edge has heaps of hang, way more than the 2011 Dyno 16m and if memory serves him well, the same hang as the 2011 18m. The biggest thing that he also reckons, the topend is way better with much easier steering. From what I saw, you have 2 steering speed settings on the 19, with 3 on the 17m.

Also, as Westozzy said, you don't need to swing the big edge too hard to jump, send it as you would with the Dyno and pull the bar. I watched Tony just yesterday hang for ages. He said he has to re-time all his jumps compared to the 17m and the biggest thing was its much easier than the old Dyno.

My mate Tony highly recommends it for you Toby.

Anyway, just a little more info for you.

cheers,

Robbie :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 am

Thx for the info.

What does he mean with easier?

What is the top end and low end of the 19, compared to Dyno 18?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeh Tonys right you do have to adjust. When you redirect the edge, you get this late extra lift in a horizontal direction. My mates still have a laugh when I get in, saying how I can hover over the water for a silly amount of time. Nice to get that board back on Toby :D

Yeh robbie what do you mean by easier?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:55 pm

you mean at the landing? I also have this with the Dyno...then it is great to do a grab and hold it, until you almost land...lovely.
But, not every time...does Edge have it every time or sometimes as well?

Return to “Kitesurfing”