Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Crazy fly raptor pro ltd 132
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacing lines

Postby Cyberstu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:37 am

I am replacing my worn 'best 20m lines'. Which have only lasted 1.5 seasons.
I want lines that are going to last well. I've been looking at Q power lines or the pro version on line. They sound good but as i know no one in Auckland NZ riding these, i would like peoples thoughts and experiences on the product. Or if people would reccomend a different product.
Limes are an expensive and butal bit if kit, and id like to get it right!
Cheers guys

nzwindy
Rare Poster

Re: Replacing lines

Postby nzwindy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 am

I've had lines replaced on my naish bars by Perrin at kiteworks, he has 300kg line and makes them up to length and does the sleeves for a good price. Ive only had it done a little while ago so I can't comment on their longevity but they look the biz.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm

How did you kill your lines so fast? Mine last for ever, everything else goes to shit but lines are still good.
In any case, your life and not to mention, money, is dependent on your lines. Why not spend the 100 bucks.
making your own lines , working 100%, even pull, etc... not worth the hassle.

Still, like to know how you killed your lines. Pictures?

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't pimp shit but I HIGHLY recommend Q powerline. It's longitudonal fibers, wrapped in a spectra sheath.
The tight spectra sheath keeps the sand out and keeps the internal load bearing strands from getting nicked and scraped. on sticks, rocks, burrs, your board edge, whatever
it's not terribly sensitive to knotting, so if you're an idiot and accidentally get a knot in it you won't break your lines immediately (note I've killed a few line sets this way)
It's 600lb break strength so isn't "stronger" than regular new kite line, but it is WAY more durable due to it's protected load bearing strands. So will retain it's strength longer.

One of the few lines you can simply just tie a proper figure 8 knot (without twists) and retain sufficient strength.
I sleeve and stitch mine to prevent tangles so my experience isn't with the knotted variety.
Likely the last lines you'll ever need to buy, It's expensive(ish) so only bother if you plan on keeping your bar for a long time or if it gives you a good feeling to have absolute confidence in your gear. I'm pushin 3 years with Q power on my only bar and lineset and have ZERO reason to lose faith in it. I've gone through 3 chickenloop ropes, all the orginal lines, donkey dick, a and a couple of kites since that time.

It's a little tougher to get a hold of lately as there are low cost options for line replacement (switch, best) etc. and likely never took off on the "OEM" kite lines as it's more expensive to make.

Last place I saw that had it online was calikites.
The "pro" version is basically the same stuff with a tigher weeve and so is slightly smaller in diameter so in theory will reduce drag slightly from the other version

Only complaint I've heard is that is "whistles" when you're riding.

Other old timers here will surely pipe in with 10 year old linesets that are still running this stuff.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:46 pm

I might be the only one, but I actually dont like Q power lines that much, and stopped using these....

Yes, they are way easier to "shorten" etc, as you just tie a knot, and thats it.
No sewing and socks etc

But for me (used them many years), they were slower to lay out - because they sort of clinched together - where "normal" lines could you just run out in a jiffy, as they got no resistance :thumb:

Lines has an extremly high lifetime today, I agree.

On the other hand, it just takes a few unlucky launches, and the line ends will get worn so you HAVE to change lines, or shorten the lines one meter or something.

:D Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I might be the only one, but I actually dont like Q power lines that much, and stopped using these....
I agree with Peter on this. Q power lines are stiff and feel like a home made mess.

Buy a new set of lines from a top company like North, Naish, Ozone and you will see that they are significantly better quality than the cheap ones out there. When I am riding a mile off shore in 35 knot winds, I don't want to be wondering about whether my lines were a smart deal.

:wink: CG

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm

q powerlines are great. only problem is that they can't be spliced and will not fit through any safety system that requires the center line to pass through the center hole of the bar.

I believe the Best bar redline mini-5th system merely adds a few inches of bar throw when you throw the safety so you can probably add the q powerline easily to that control bar since the center lines don't have to pass through anything narrow.

q lines are rated at 600 but they feel more like 800's they last a long time but I can't use them on any of my bars because I only use single center line flag out systems.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 pm

something gotta' give ...

I've used Q lines for many years on 'slow' turning kites like my Best (Waroo). The moment I switched I could feel a major difference in response and steering. My old best bar made take off the extensions for better handling. With the Q lines I was back at 25m and now have a wind-truck.

Q Lines come in rolls, so get the 500 feet roll. Don't waste your money on the 'pro' version, the regular stuff will do. I got mine in yellow and white. One 500 feet roll gives you enough for a set of four lines (back and fly) and then some. Yellow is very visible in the water (to avoid entangle).

Cutting and tailoring of these lines is easy: Just cut and trim, your loops are made with a special knot. As a sleeve I used heat shrink tubing.

Yes, when dry they are a bit stiffer than regular lines, but IMHO no big deal. Also after 3+ years the yellow is fading but that doesn't have any effect on the strength of the lines. Just cosmetic.

I got my roll for about 120 bucks, so I think shipping won't break the bank and is certainly worth it.

Just my $.02

peace

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 pm

They are certainly different to walk out as they are in bar long straight sections from wrapping, but on a well kept bar they take no longer. In fact they are probably a touch quicker cause they don't do that nasty twirly little tangle you sometimes get when you reach the ends of floppy lines.

They definitely have less stretch than pretty much every other line so the better response/feel coment is pretty true.

I'm on stock lines now, but with a three meter leader mini 5th bar one roll gives you two full sets of lines. A 21+3 on my regular bar and a 17+3 set on my wave/small kite bar.

So not only is it awesome but its cheap! It's just the DIY part that loses a lot of customers! Done right it only takes a few minutes to fire off both sets, balanced to the mm with all the trimmings like pull tabs to loosen your larks heads. All with no more than a knife and a lighter!

They also hold up to snowboard edges better than than any other line I've seen.

Like I said I'm on stock lines, but as replacement lines they are great.

Cyberstu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Orewa
Style: Hooked in and huge
Gear: Best NEMI HP 2012 10m
Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Crazy fly raptor pro ltd 132

Postby Cyberstu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 pm

"How did you kill your lines so fast? Mine last for ever, everything else goes to shit but lines are still good. In any case, your life and not to mention, money, is dependent on your lines. Why not spend the 100 bucks. making your own lines , working 100%, even pull, etc... not worth the hassle. Still, like to know how you killed your lines. Pictures?"

The sleaving on the larks head wore through and have started freying the line underneath (happened only on the front lines at the kite end). As a short term fix, ive turned those lines around. But ive noticed that because i do a lot if rotations when i ride, where the front lines have been twisted around each other, they have worn and freyed. I do not want to take chances with my lines, and ruin my day, hurt myself or crash my gear into someone elses because i dont do maintainence.

Return to “Kitesurfing”