Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Replacing lines

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm

you mean theres lines that my ass wouldn't have to check every 25 knot session for stretch!? (cabrinha lines suck!!) and im not talking about 2011 lines, they are a year old, prob stretch the front lines 5 inches...

tell me more about q lines, do you have to pre stretch them still or are they good off the spool, if so how do you do it?

through searching the forum i learned its a simple figure 8 on a bight knot, seems simple, then i would just add pig tails...do the lines cut through amsteel pigtails without sleeves over time or no?

learning so much on spring break...but my wife is nagging that i spend too much on kiteforum...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:06 am

Q should be stretched out one time when you first make the lines. I think it's ok to put the q right on the bridles, but a pigtail makes it a lot more convenient to put on and take off.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am

yes, you have to stretch them before the first use and they will probably never stretch again. i've been using mine for 4 seasons, 2 years, maybe 290 to 300 sessions and no stretch or nicks yet.

there are lots of ways to stretch them. if you have room an easy way is to roll off two line lengths, put a figure eight in both ends, hook one end to a fixed object(like a very solid pole) and the other end to 2 different lines at the same time. One of these lines should be a regular kite line about 2 meters long with a knot tied in it to weaken it and the other should be 3 times that long. both of these get hooked to a car and you drive off slowly. all the lines will stretch until the shorter kite line with the knot in it breaks and the other longer line "catches" it so it does not snap and damage it self or something else. the shorter line with the knot will break first and the Q line will be pre-stretched perfectly. Cut the Q line in half and you have two front or back lines pre-stretched the same. repeat for the other set.
sounds more complicated than it is, try it and you'll see.

Cyberstu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Orewa
Style: Hooked in and huge
Gear: Best NEMI HP 2012 10m
Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Crazy fly raptor pro ltd 132
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cyberstu » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54 am

Hmmmm two sides to this. Some for, some against.
The Q Power lines i have found at the best price come from "a wind of change" with pre cut line lengths with figure 8 knots already tied. This costs $85 american and then some postage.
Am still not sure which way is the best to go. The comments on pre stretching the lines is interesting, as they are supposed to be pre stretched.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 am

I am still using my first set of regular Q-powerline kite lines. They are over 4 years old and still going strong. I really do not find it that much more difficult to lay out my lines. I am careful how I wind them up which may be the difference when unwinding them. I also added small tabs to each connection so it was easy to loosen the larks head. If my lines are stretching they are all doing it equally. I made some effort to prestretch them when new, but noting more than using my body weight.. sometime i wonder if kite companies dont use Q-powerline because they would sell as many replacement lines.

The one negative is the low level screaming sound they make when flying the kite. I dont notice it anymore, but, I did when i first used the lines.

1. Easy to customize line lengths
2. Safer because you wont be as tempted to get one more session out of old lines.
3. Less expensive (see below)

The initial cost for lines is going to be similar, so go with the lines that last longer. That is where you will realize a savings.

Q-power are less expensive because you can get 6 lines out of a $140 spool of Q-Power. a factory set of 4 spectra replacement lines is around $150. This means for $280 (2 spools) you can get 3 sets of lines(four line kites) that last at least twice as long as the lines you get from Kite companies. Because Q-power lines last at least twice as long, you are effectively paying ~$47 ($280/3 sets = $94 then $94/2) for the same amount of use you get out of a $150 set of lines you buy from a kite company.

Saving $103 per a set of lines is significant in my opinion.

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 am

Cool to see you online here Stu... lots of differing experiences to draw from as promised. :)

I understand that the price of BEST lines is about $245NZD incl Tax and this is a factor for you but before you write off BEST lines... lets not forget 2 key elements that have caused the damage in the first place. As without changing both of these practices the accelerated wear may continue and there is still some good life left in your rig. ...just don't jump behind me :)

Don't underestimate the chaffing caused by riding with twisted front lines.
Regardless of your line brand you should not ride with twisted front lines as when you smack in the stresses and shock loads are no longer evenly distributed. The lines chaff and wear.
Solution... try doing as many front spin as back spin tricks on the same tack to avoid excessive front line twists.
You could also consider changing your bar configuration to one with wither a front line swivel that works or one with an under bar swivel you can unwind yourself.
If upgrading the entire bar the height of the front line Y has a direct relation to front line twist.

Also having inspected your lines at the beach and seeing the way the sheaths have worn.
It looked to me like when you make a larks head loop that the extra little twist is left in the sheath. I always roll this off as it would be under extra stress if left in place. (Does anyone else do this?)

Anyway what ever lines you try next, try improve setup technique too.
It might just save you more $$ in the long run.

Just my 2 cents mate...

Oh, some guys wax their lines... but I have no experience with that technique.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 pm

When i used switch lines about a year ago they stretched bad....like 3-4 inches

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:42 pm

I agree with that : "but there harder to roll-out argument".

But i bin using Q-power for 6 years now
and Really Like them. Especially the part where the sun Can't
rot the inside that carries the tensional strength , cause it's covered with a sheath.

Pre-stretching and tying your own line-set is kinda EASY .

Bille

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm

jespin4845 wrote:When i used switch lines about a year ago they stretched bad....like 3-4 inches
+1

Return to “Kitesurfing”