Picking up some New Cabrinhas, question on the Drifter

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Picking up some New Cabrinhas, question on the Drifter

Postby shawn13 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Ive decided its time to update my quiver and expand my kite range. I currently ride a 13m Xbow and a 9 Convert. I have ridden the 13m prob 95% of my riding time, which i love it, and have missed some awesome fall winds because my 9m is just too big. However, when i do get out on my 9m its a fun kite which i wish i could ride more.

I am considering the following 2013 Kites: 13m Xbow, 10m Switchblade and 7m Drifter. I like the wind ranges on the xbow and sb, and I feel with a 10m sb ill be able to ride in more winds than with the 9m convert.

Ive put my eye on the drifter because when we get strong winds here it gets really gusty, and big chop, so i thought this would be a suitable kite to handle the line slack. My question is that the 7m Drifter wind chart shows range from 19knots +. The cabrinha chart isnt clear what the top range is. Can anybody give me an answer on this? Thanks guys.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Picking up some New Cabrinhas, question on the Drifter

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:08 pm

3 weeks ago, I rode the drifter 7 on a S-Killit 5'10"surfboard in over 30kts. The kite has a lot of depower.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SSK » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:49 pm

The Drifter does not have the wind range like the SBs and flys smaller than the SBs. I think the 7Drifter flys more like the 6 SB. So I would think that would be a pretty big jump from a 10 SB to the 7 Drifter. IMO the 8m SB would give you a lot more range. I am not familar with the 7 SB, but I would still see that as a better choice than the 7 Drifter. I have the 10SB, 8SB, and the 7 Drifter. When it is too much on the 10SB then I am on the 8SB, but I doubt I could ride the 7 Drifter. When I am blown off the 8SB then I am on the 7. You did not say your weight so it makes it a little hard to determine. The 7 Drifter is a great kite if you live in Maui or Cetral California coast where you would ride it a lot in the right conditions. For Toronto and the East Coast I think you would get a lot more out of the 8 SB or possibly the 7 SB.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am

SSK wrote:The Drifter does not have the wind range like the SBs and flys smaller than the SBs. I think the 7Drifter flys more like the 6 SB. So I would think that would be a pretty big jump from a 10 SB to the 7 Drifter. IMO the 8m SB would give you a lot more range. I am not familar with the 7 SB, but I would still see that as a better choice than the 7 Drifter. I have the 10SB, 8SB, and the 7 Drifter. When it is too much on the 10SB then I am on the 8SB, but I doubt I could ride the 7 Drifter. When I am blown off the 8SB then I am on the 7. You did not say your weight so it makes it a little hard to determine. The 7 Drifter is a great kite if you live in Maui or Cetral California coast where you would ride it a lot in the right conditions. For Toronto and the East Coast I think you would get a lot more out of the 8 SB or possibly the 7 SB.
I was considering the drifter for 30+ knots when other guys are riding 5 & 6 kites. In ontario we get very gusty conditions in those winds and large swells 2 to 3m. Also thought it would be decent for the snowkiting. Im 75kg. Thanks for your info.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I got my kites today and ended up getting the 13 XBow, 10 SB and 7 SB. WInds are looking good i hope to test out the 7 and see how it rides. If I dont like how it flies in strong winds and gusts ill swap it for a drifter.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm

shawn13 wrote:I got my kites today and ended up getting the 13 XBow, 10 SB and 7 SB. WInds are looking good i hope to test out the 7 and see how it rides. If I dont like how it flies in strong winds and gusts ill swap it for a drifter.
Sounds like a great quiver. Feel free to PM me with your thoughts once you get out in the windy stuff. Having SB and Drifter kites, I can still tell you that you could ride 10 SB and 7 Drifter no problem. Anyway, I love the 7 SB and it will be great!! Enjoy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”