Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Flyoming -- must-see vid

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Oldnbroken wrote: ...

This is like the Heli ski trips that people used to take...but without the helicopter!!
Beautiful footage, great kiting skills and the flying is awesome.
Nice job.
YEA -- What HE said !! :thumb: :thumb:

Bille

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby knewschool » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Fernmanus
The interesting thing about snowkiting is that the learning curve is big for water kiters. No, I am not taking about riding a snow field, I am talking about big mountain kiting. I have seen pros struggle for days on the snow. I guess it is about as approachable as kiting big waves. It looks awesome, it is awesome, but the transfer from water to mountains is not a simple one.
Caesar
Seriously? If you kite on a snowboard, is it really such a big difference? Curious...
Kiting on a snowboard isn't really that different than a kiteboard in principal. But the experienced snowkiter generally has a more indepth understanding of the flow of wind over and through extreme terrain. Strategy regarding windshadows, launching and landing strategies in waist deep snow, and flying a kite with wind shooting up or down a mountain ends up being something experience really helps with. It's not impossible to find yourself on a slope so steep that you are forced to fly. Like fernmanus said, it can be similar to riding in waves. It's not so easy as just going out and riding, there's things you need to know, feel, and practice if you want to ride strong and confident in waves.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone and I'm glad my snowkite film entertains some waterkiters!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

knewschool wrote:I really appreciate the feedback everyone and I'm glad my snowkite film entertains some waterkiters!
Cool, so the only thing you have to do now is finding a kiteable snow area for us with temperatures of around +30°C. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”