Forum for kitesurfers
Lost
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

St. Thomas Kiteboarding info need it

Postby Lost » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:51 pm

I will be in St. Thomas at the end of August I was wondering if anyone tried kiteboarding in this area. Info about places, area, shops, schools will be apreciated.
Thanks.

Grantito
Rare Poster

Postby Grantito » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:23 am

Go to the northeast side of the island near Red hook. The Ritz carlton beach in Great Bay is, well, great. Look for a dirt road turn off into Lindquest Beach off Hwy 38 north of Red Hook. Great spot but watch the reef. I'm sure there are other 'secret' spots too.

The wind is mostly onshore to side-onshore. The trades should be good now but were light when I was there, except for two good days. I sailed my 12 when I could but it would be nice to have a full quiver with you just in case. Check the NOAA site for wind forecasts.

There is a Shop in Charlote Amalie near the cruise ships that sells kites and accessories but it is mainly a surfing store. There is also a guy, Dave, I think, In Red Hook, West Indies Windsurfing just before the turn off to the Ritz... He has a school for windsurfing kiting and other sailing craft on the Red Hook Harbour beach.

Have fun you lucky ....!!!!!!!! :thumb: :bye:

healeyg
Medium Poster

st. thomas

Postby healeyg » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:28 pm

guy to talk to is john phillips who owns westindies windsurfing. phone 340 775-6530. tell him gregg healey sent you. shop is located on vessup beach which is across the harbor from redhook

ritz beach is best in SE (can't be beat if the conditions are right - wind is steady as a hairdryer). sapphire beach in NE works well (or you can go across cabrina point road to vessup beach, which also works in NE, but you have to weave upwind through all the sailboats. all launches are tricky and are generally onshore, with large objects lurking around downwind, so be careful. you can also take a zodic or small boat out to a number of small uninhabited islands around the east end as well.

august is hit or miss because it is the beginning of the hurricane season. july is much better. basically aug-oct is a crapshoot. nov-july is more reliable. dec/jan and june/july are best for wind. i usually go a few times a year nov-april

enjoy!

healeyg
Medium Poster

also, lessons ...

Postby healeyg » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:32 pm

paul sloken runs a concession at the ritz and gives lessons. good dude. john or the sport center at the ritz can put you in touch with him

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:22 pm

Say hello to Shaunna for me. She used to work at Fat Tuesdays about 5 years ago... One hell of a hottie!

Lost
Medium Poster

Postby Lost » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:03 pm

thanks guys. I will try to get in touch with you contacts. Hopefully I will get some wind. I will look for Shaunna but after 5 years things are changing :D

Hermano80
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town, Jabberwock (Antigua)
Style: Beginner, no style yet!
Gear: North Evo

Re: St. Thomas Kiteboarding info need it

Postby Hermano80 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 am

Hi there I'll be in St. Thomas tomorrow, SE 13-15 knots according to Windguru. I only have my 10m North Evo 2010 with me, hopefully I will have some fun.

I work on one of the cruise ships, hopefully the taxi is not too expensive from Charlotte Amali, how long is the drive?

Is the below info still valid, Ritz is best for SE?

Top Down Causation
Rare Poster

Re: St. Thomas Kiteboarding info need it

Postby Top Down Causation » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:45 am

When you say you work on a cruise ship do you mean while it is in port or while it is traveling? I bet you get to hit a lot of amazing kite spots. Sounds like fun.
Hermano80 wrote:Hi there I'll be in St. Thomas tomorrow, SE 13-15 knots according to Windguru. I only have my 10m North Evo 2010 with me, hopefully I will have some fun.

I work on one of the cruise ships, hopefully the taxi is not too expensive from Charlotte Amali, how long is the drive?

Is the below info still valid, Ritz is best for SE?

Return to “Kitesurfing”