Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any ideas on a condo/resort in Nags Head or OBX for family?

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Any ideas on a condo/resort in Nags Head or OBX for family?

Postby markchatwin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Does anyone have any firsthand information on a condo or resort in Nags Head or anywhere in the OBX that would be good for kiting and the family? We'd like to head down there in a couple weeks. A pool for the kids would be nice and maybe sound side with a launch nearby for me. I figured sound side since the kids are 4 and 6 and couldn't handle the ocean side too well. My recollection is that over the many times I have traveled to Rodanthe it seems Nags Head had the most lodging. I'd like to be as close to Rodanthe as possible since I have a number of friends visiting the same week. Thanks...

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Has thanked: 0

Re: Any ideas on a condo/resort in Nags Head or OBX for fami

Postby SSK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Are you set on a condo/resort, or will a house work? You can google any of the realty companies that serve that tri-villages (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo) and rent a smaller home 3-4 bedrooms for a pretty reasonable price this time of year. Anything in the tri-villages is close to Rodanthe (5-10 min max). Here are a few of the top of my head
Sun Reality
Outer Banks Realty
Midgett Realty
Salvo Reality
Outer Beaches Realty
Hatteras Realty
Seagull Realty
Surf or Sound
etc.
They all have websites with images of the homes and locations.

The kite locations also have condos both at Real (Waves) and Kitty Hawk Kites (Rodanthe) with direct launch. IMO the wife and kids would probably much more enjoy a house within walking distance of the ocean. Finding a house with direct sound launch may not be easy. These tend to be large newer homes and if it is just four of you might be pricey. If money is not an option that then go get a giant McMansion on the sound or ocean. If money is an option I would look for a smaller home ~3-6 lots back from the ocean. Price drops considerably after the 1st two rows. That is still a comfortable distant to walk to the water while lugging beach chairs, buckets, platic shovels, towels, lotion, snacks, etc. I can guarnatee you that the kids will want to be on the beach and not the sound. They may not go in the water much but build sand castles, run down to the water, find shells, dig sand crabs, etc. They will not be so excited about playing in the marsh grass in the sound. A lot of homes have pools, but also tends to be the bigger more expensive ones. If the wife is not kiting then she will be much happier hanging out on the beach with the kids while you go kite.

The most popular sound side launch is Salvo day use area, which is the very south end of the tri-villages. If the wife is also a kiter then that is a good place to bring the family. It has a nice sound side beach and one of you can kite while the other watches the kids.

If you cannot find something in the tri-villages then go to Avon instead. There are more options there and still a lot easier than Nags Head.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much decided against a house because a house on the water with a heated pool would be crazy money (I think). The kids will want to swim and the ocean will be too cold so I figured either an oceanside resort with an indoor pool or a soundside resort with an indoor pool. Or at least an outdoor heated pool... With winds blowing in April it will be cold for kids swimming in the sound and the ocean for sure.

I don't think there are any of these type of resorts near Rodanthe which is why I said to include Nags Head. I know when I have been down there I have seen a lot of resorts there. I just want a resort, condo or a hotel that is near a kite launch...

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA
Been thanked: 0

Postby robg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:45 am

I do not know of a single indoor pool on Hatteras Island. I do not know of any in Nags Head either but there could be one. I see no reason to make a trip to OBX to kite and then stay in Nags Head. It would be like going on a snowboard trip to Colorado and staying in Denver. Your there but not really. If kiting is down on the list of things to do then Nags Head is fine.

You are right that the ocean will be too cold for kids in mid April. Right now it is in the mid 40s. The sound may be ok by then but I would not count on it. This has been a very cold spring. The boots and gloves just came off in the sound. Some houses offer free solar heat but mid April is early for that. One I recomend is A Kings Dream #400 thru Outer Beaches Realty. Nice oceanside 4 bedroom with solar heated pool and hot tub. Cheap this time of year ...less than $800 for a week!

Be aware that realty companies charge $300-500 a week extra for a gas heated pool.

The condos at Kitty Hawk Kites are very nice and have a pool. Not sure about heat but each unit has a soundfront hot tub.

If you really need the kids to swim you may have to wait a few extra weeks or go further south.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 am

What robg said.

It's been unusually cold over the last 3 months, so both the ocean & sound are pretty cold. On the whole, only the bigger houses have pools - I don't believe any of them will be heated at this time of year & would require very expensive additional heating costs if they were. A better bet is to have a house with a hot tub that the kids (& you) can spend some time in. Last March it was so (unusually) warm that we were able to swim in the ocean on several days.

As far as ocean or sound is concerned - the kids & wife are likely to be happier on whatever side is protected from the prevailing wind on the particular day.

Like robg, I wouldn't stay in Nags Head/Kitty Hawk - it's worth the extra drive to Hatteras island. Nice, smaller houses are more common in Avon/Buxton/Frisco than in Rodanthe area, which has a lot of more recent monster houses. There are some nice houses that can be had in the $600 - $900 range - some of them direct soundfront.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

The condos mentioned (KHK and Waterman's/Real) will keep everybody happy. KHK condos have the benefit of pool and hot tubs, but the common area is very crowded and it's all bulk-headed so not an easy beach for play (there was a vacant lot next door so you may be able to use that). Real has a much bigger lawn and deck for hanging out, but no pool/h.tubs.

However, houses are cheap this time of year. So definitely check out the websites mentioned and you may surprise yourself with the prices you find. Also check out VRBO for owner rentals. If the house has a hot tub, you can avoid heat in the pool. The kids will probably jump back and forth anyway.

Plenty of options in Rodanthe/Waves and you'll be right near your friends. Don't stress about it too much. Whatever you book, you'll have a great trip!

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Like someone else said, pretty sure there is no indoor pool unless you go to the YMCA. Anywhere in April is still likely to be on the cold side, more so on a windy day. Your best best is getting a place with a hot tub, nothing like playing at the beach or kiting in the 50-60 degree water for a while and jumping in the hot tub to bring your core up to temp.

Real does have a ton of yard to walk around in but if lessons have started cranking, it might be frowned upon to have kids running around there.

There is an empty lot next to KHK but it is private property. The school has permission to take students next door to launch in order to free up space in the actual yard for transient kiters to rig and launch. Another thing to consider is how much debris has been pushed around from Hurricane Sandy. Luckily at the vacant lot next to KHK, it actually took a 25 foot long submerged barnacle ridden piling out in the sound somewhere.

If you stay in Nags Head, try to be close to the Tanger Outlets or Jockey's Ridge. There's not a lot of public places to launch soundside.

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Great Mark! Can't wait. See you on the water soon.

-P

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 am

BTW check out this place, I'm looking for places to go up, and this one has an indoor pool, is a time share they rent out. Prices seemed reasonable.

spmresorts.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”