tx1131
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Z snapped line

Postby tx1131 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Got a snapped line on my Slingshot Z 2012. It's the line that goes through the safety system. Since I never had to change that I am not really sure how to do that. Does anyone have any instructions by any chance ? I'm not sure how complicated it can be - probably not extremely - but was wondering if someone can help me with this before I open the safety system and try to fiddle.

Thanks,
Konrad

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Slingshot Z snapped line

Postby edt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Center line safety systems have pretty much the same procedure it's simple once you understand how to do it.

Thread your new line through the safety system from the kite end, through the bar, all the way down to the chickenloop below the bar so you can see it below the bar with the little loop on the end. Lark's head your elastic safety line to the new line. Pull the line back through the safety system, and attach any rings or grommets you need to the end of the elastic safety.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 pm

does it use the same bar/lines as the other Slingys? and did it break above or below the swivel?

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 pm

It sounds like you broke your CSS Bungee maybe. You should have a spare bungee in the top of your kite bag. Each SS kite comes with extra bungees for your butter box as well as the CSS Bungee and some bladder repair patches in the top pocket of your kite bag. It's an easy fix too.

tx1131
Rare Poster

Postby tx1131 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all replies.

Yes, CSS Bungee is exactly what is broken - didn't know the proper name before. Unfortunately I don't know the proper naming as I'm fairly new to this awesome sport, so I will try to give more details/ask questions providing more description.

My bar looks like the one on this picture below. The broken line is circled in blue, pretty much at the point where it broke as well. I knew I had a spare in my backpack, however not sure how to feed it through the black, plastic release mechanism - do I open it and feed it in any special way? Is there a technique of feeding it without opening the black mechanism ?

Hoping to do some kiting tomorrow, so will be fixing in the morning :naughty:

Again thanks for help!!
Konrad
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 pm

There's a very small bungee that holds the quick release onto the chicken loop. Pull it around the donkey dick so you can slide the QR up out of the way. That will make it easy to feed everything through. There's a video slingshot made if this isn't clear

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah it's really easy to replace the bungee. Just remove the red metal loop from one end of the bungee and pull your center line that was attached to the other end of the bungee through the metal loop that the line goes through on your release system. Then just attach your bungee to the kite line on one end, pull that kite line up through your bar and everything, then attach the metal ring with the red handle on it back to the bottom of the bungee and it should be good. It's kind of hard to explain in a forum but you just need that red loop with the metal ring on the bottom and it needs to be connected to your center line at the top. And all of that needs to go through the safety system and the bar. Hope that makes sense!

tx1131
Rare Poster

Postby tx1131 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

I changed it earlier today, will try out tomorrow if the wind will change direction (hopefully) or the day after if the wind won't change direction :) Thanks for all help guys!!

Konrad

Return to “Kitesurfing”