Do you wear glasses

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you wear glasses

Postby cglazier » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

I wear disposable contact lenses and I rarely lose one. Then I can kite with or without my Seaspecs.

:wink: CG

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 pm

SupaEZ wrote:I build my own eyeglasses (licensed optician)
Daytime at work progressive lenses (multifocals with distance / midrange / near power)
Playtime contact lenses that i put in while still in my car just to go kitesurfing
Last me a month (15 to 20 days of kiting / avg. 1 to 2 hr session) Acuvue Oasys Astigmatism

Riding strapped surfboard with late afternoon sessions with polarized polycarbonate brown lenses
Brown is more high definition than grey and works best for me and the time of day i ride

Full wrap 9 base frame cinched to back of head with croakie + leashed to top back of harness

If during major crash the croakie fails and they fly off my head they remain secure on short leash

I just reach over at arm's length and fish them out of the water and back over my eyes

In all the years (14) that i have been using my system and i never lost a single pair of shades

Nearsighted kiters/kitesurfers go with soft type contacts as they stay easy to use and maintain
I have a high level of astigmatism. Any suggestions on the best longlasting eyewear for me.I'm kiting everyday now that I'm riding my epic v2 infinity lightwind kite.I'm out in 2-4 knots and my eyes are taking a beating,lots of tearing due to long hours on the water.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 pm

dejavu wrote:Do you wear prescription glasses? What do you wear when you kite?

I used to just wear my sunnies that were prescription until they went for a swim on a fall. I then bought some script goggles with band and they seem to be ok now but I miss the sunnies. What do you wear?

You can order script goggles with adaptive lenses called Transitions available in grey or brown

The darkening depends on amount of uv rays present and outside temperature
You get 100% UV protection even when the lenses had very little tint outside
I fully recommend polycarbonate or trivex lenses for maximum impact / shatter resistance

The most interesting new type of lens is called Vantage (grey color only)

As they darken from a very light tint (10% grey) to 70% (hot weather) 85% (cold weather)....
.....molecules in the transition formula line up in a way that the tint becomes polarized

The darker the lenses become the more the polarisation you get

Ask your local optician for more details
Ask about having also super hydrophobic and hardcoat built into both sides of the lenses
Water droplets will bead off much easier on the surface of the lenses..and it does not wear off !!
2 years warranty,unlimited
Crizal Avance UV scotchguard

To prevent them from flying off your head even with strap and losing very expensive Rx glasses
Make yourself a short leash (shoe lace for example) from strap to center top of waist harness back
Leash usually is less than 24 inches long.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 am

There are some good tips here and I will follow up with my optometrist. Not keen on contacts so sunnies or new goggles with the applications may be worth a try. 8)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 pm

I used soft contacts mostly for 20+ years. They were better than glasses with straps.

I had laser surgery 18 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I am 56 now.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:10 am

Would brown polarized lenses take away that bright sheen effect I sometimes get through my grey polarized lenses? It primarily appears on the surface of the water and the best way I can describe it is a hologram effect.
SupaEZ wrote:I build my own eyeglasses (licensed optician)
Daytime at work progressive lenses (multifocals with distance / midrange / near power)
Playtime contact lenses that i put in while still in my car just to go kitesurfing
Last me a month (15 to 20 days of kiting / avg. 1 to 2 hr session) Acuvue Oasys Astigmatism

Riding strapped surfboard with late afternoon sessions with polarized polycarbonate brown lenses
Brown is more high definition than grey and works best for me and the time of day i ride

Full wrap 9 base frame cinched to back of head with croakie + leashed to top back of harness

If during major crash the croakie fails and they fly off my head they remain secure on short leash

I just reach over at arm's length and fish them out of the water and back over my eyes

In all the years (14) that i have been using my system and i never lost a single pair of shades

Nearsighted kiters/kitesurfers go with soft type contacts as they stay easy to use and maintain

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 am

OzBungy wrote:I had laser surgery. Best thing I ever did.
Me too...IT IS AWESOME!!!!

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:37 am

I work in that field. Laser can be great but can also generate problems. At the conferences I only see the problems (the 1% and they ARE ugly). Thats scary. Still it also says 99% are perfectly fine.

I wear prescription sunglasses, now polarized and water repellant. I buy the cheapest one from Zenni optical. They are Chinese for sure but worth every penny. Never had issues with my glasses as I wear a helmet as well - and a strap for the glasses. I lost one day contact lenses, which can be tricky as i am legally blind (blind fish) with out anything.

G

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:53 am

SupaEZ wrote:....
Brown is more high definition than grey....
Can the optician :cool2: explain why is that? :jump:

xenosd
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, boost
Gear: 2014 12m North Rebel
2014 9m North Rebel
2018 7m North Rebel
2013 10m North Vegas
2014 Xenon Laluz
Been thanked: 0

Postby xenosd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am

Lenses for me too +1 pair in car (in case of problem).

Return to “Kitesurfing”