*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
adamharr wrote:
gmb13 wrote:
adamharr wrote:

Thank you really much i actually got them a few both sides haha i got my first roll tacks fluidly! I guess i just needed that speed going into the tack and carve harder, great great improvement.
Another thing, normally in chop and windy the thing i said when going upwind i start sailing downwind more and more until im reeching and start going fast until i crash this happens not only in windy
Is this leg strenght? Sometimes this happens and i cant even beat guys in twin tips
Thanks, cheers


Hi,

That sounds like a combination of too big fins and to big kite for the conditions.

If you can use a kite size smaller. If not, you need to slow down and point as high as possible.

Are you using a race bar with a 4-1 Adjuster? If not, you should be. This will allow you to depower the kite in gusts without having to lean towards the kite.

Another way to get the board pointing higher and to slow down a bit is to move your heel of your back foot even more forward. You toes stay in the strap, but your heel is about 5-10cm up the rail. Your foot will be almost sideways.

What size fins are you on and how much do you weigh?

--
Gunnar


Thank you very much again gunnar, i will defentely use this advise in todays session i normally train in windy with my 9m i weight about 65 kilos and use 42cm and 38 rear trctonics.

Those videos are great! Maybe also some penaltie turns, a top mark turn with loop, a race start, how to avoid tangles, how to get out of a tangle just ideas...
Cheers, Adam


Hi Adam,

There is your problem. 65kg and on 42cm fins. I am 78kg and on 42's as my big set at the moment. When it's windy I use 41 or 40 cm.

You will need smaller fins for those hardcore conditions. Kai Hopf from Meanline fins makes some great high wind fins that sacrifice a bit of performance, but give you a lot more control in choppy windy conditions. Might be an option for you. I would recommend you use nothing bigger than 40s at your wight for strong winds.

I got some Video footage today of penalty turns, so might edit that up today. Also got gybes.

What do you mean with a "top mark turn with loop" do you mean rounding the top mark and then looping the kite to get the board pointing on a downwind course?

Race start is something I cannot film, and there are already a bunch of videos of Adam Koch and Johnny talking about that.

--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:50 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
Hi Guys,

Here is the video about the penalty turn.

The new rule for 2013 states that it must include a Tack and a Gybe and forward momentum after both. The Video shows my two interpretations on how to do it.





Editing the Gybe Video now.
--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:18 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:13 am
Posts: 300
Location: NW Florida
Love to hear a judge's interpretation of your second approach. Seems is should be good since board definitely has forward velocity all through the maneuver??

Thanks again for the details & looking forward to the gybe - I am coming from sailing to kiteboarding and transitions are kicking my ass!!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
knot_moving wrote:
Love to hear a judge's interpretation of your second approach. Seems is should be good since board definitely has forward velocity all through the maneuver??

Thanks again for the details & looking forward to the gybe - I am coming from sailing to kiteboarding and transitions are kicking my ass!!


Gybe is uploading now and Straight tack is rendering.

Both will be online tomorrow.

--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 pm
Posts: 40
gmb13 wrote:
knot_moving wrote:
Love to hear a judge's interpretation of your second approach. Seems is should be good since board definitely has forward velocity all through the maneuver??

Thanks again for the details & looking forward to the gybe - I am coming from sailing to kiteboarding and transitions are kicking my ass!!


Gybe is uploading now and Straight tack is rendering.

Both will be online tomorrow.

--
Gunnar

Thanks gunnar your videos really help! they are great!!! Keep it up man, so did they use the new 360 penalty in the africans? Ohh by the way the moving the back foot heal forward really helped me today i also applied more pressure in that back foot than usual really helped? We are starting some races this week here with the local racers im really excited about it, but the start lines always put me nervous also like i used to sail... Any tips for the start line? Or for avoiding tangles?
Thanks, cheers


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
Hi Guys,

Here are the 2 Videos as promissed:

Straight Tack


and
Gybe


Enjoy

--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
adamharr wrote:

Thanks gunnar your videos really help! they are great!!! Keep it up man, so did they use the new 360 penalty in the africans? Ohh by the way the moving the back foot heal forward really helped me today i also applied more pressure in that back foot than usual really helped? We are starting some races this week here with the local racers im really excited about it, but the start lines always put me nervous also like i used to sail... Any tips for the start line? Or for avoiding tangles?
Thanks, cheers


Hi Adam,

I am really glad that the Vids are helping.

About starting lines. Tangles only happen when people mess up. If you are a small group have a talk before you go race. The key things that everyone should follow to avoid problem as the start are:

1) Leave each other space. In a properly set start line, everyone should have enough space to keep at least 5-10 meter distance from each other. Do not bunch up at the start boat.

2) Never stop or move your kite up in the last 30 secs before the start. You should all me heading for the start line and in the last 10 seconds you should be close hauled and have chosen where you are going to cross the line.

3) If the wind is light, leave even more room than usual as people tend to drift more and might stall.

4) Everyone should know the flag signals for the starting sequence and have timer on.

5) And take it easy. Getting off the the line clean is more important than being first.

6) If you are going for a port tack start at the pin end, you have to be 100% sure that the line is really favouring port. Check it 2-3 times before the start sequence. If you are wrong try to break off early and bear off and try to go under the fleet and cross at the boat.

Basically you are going to have to rely on each other not to mess up.
--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 pm
Posts: 40
gmb13 wrote:
adamharr wrote:

Thanks gunnar your videos really help! they are great!!! Keep it up man, so did they use the new 360 penalty in the africans? Ohh by the way the moving the back foot heal forward really helped me today i also applied more pressure in that back foot than usual really helped? We are starting some races this week here with the local racers im really excited about it, but the start lines always put me nervous also like i used to sail... Any tips for the start line? Or for avoiding tangles?
Thanks, cheers


Hi Adam,

I am really glad that the Vids are helping.

About starting lines. Tangles only happen when people mess up. If you are a small group have a talk before you go race. The key things that everyone should follow to avoid problem as the start are:

1) Leave each other space. In a properly set start line, everyone should have enough space to keep at least 5-10 meter distance from each other. Do not bunch up at the start boat.

2) Never stop or move your kite up in the last 30 secs before the start. You should all me heading for the start line and in the last 10 seconds you should be close hauled and have chosen where you are going to cross the line.

3) If the wind is light, leave even more room than usual as people tend to drift more and might stall.

4) Everyone should know the flag signals for the starting sequence and have timer on.

5) And take it easy. Getting off the the line clean is more important than being first.

6) If you are going for a port tack start at the pin end, you have to be 100% sure that the line is really favouring port. Check it 2-3 times before the start sequence. If you are wrong try to break off early and bear off and try to go under the fleet and cross at the boat.

Basically you are going to have to rely on each other not to mess up.
--
Gunnar

Wow, very much like sailing in a way,
Again thanks so much this will really improve my racing all the information you have given me, also hope it helps other racers improve as well. Will get my self a garmin and start training for those northamericans!
Cheer!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 am
Posts: 161
gmb13 wrote:

So you would like Gybes and Mark Roundings. What else?



Starts? And thank you! These videos are really helpful. It's interesting you say that the roll tack and the normal one are about the same difficulty I was trying to learn the straight up one first but I might just go for the roll.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Posts: 601
Location: Fuerteventura
ozchrisb wrote:
gmb13 wrote:

So you would like Gybes and Mark Roundings. What else?



Starts? And thank you! These videos are really helpful. It's interesting you say that the roll tack and the normal one are about the same difficulty I was trying to learn the straight up one first but I might just go for the roll.


Hi,

I actually learned the roll tack first. It was the most intuitive way to change direction on a surfboard. I learned the straight tack 2 years later thinking that I needed to do what the others were doing in the fleet ;-)

Starts will be difficult for me to do a video. I will need more people riding with me for that, plus without a Start boat and pin end, it will not make sense. The same things apply to Kite racing as with any other Sailing race.

--
Gunnar


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group